0

Daylily bed fertilizer

ruthz

Do any of you ever fertilize with slow-release granular? I know just adding compost is supposed to be all they need.

I was thinking I might sprinkle some Osmocote while cleaning the beds, but only if it makes a difference in blooms.

• signet_gw(6b)

Afraid I can't help . I don't fertilize at all on any of my gardens

ruthz thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • roxanna7

As Ken would say, do an experiment and fertilize just part of your daylily bed . See what happens!

I am going to try this (if I can remember) this year to see if it helps. What I'd really like to know is if soil pH or some other thing improves color saturation, as some of my daylilies are washed out compared to photos shown here...

ruthz thanked roxanna7
  • ruthz

roxanna, I find that weather changes seems to affect the color. Also my camera doesn't pick up all colors the same. My phone takes really good pictures but I don't know how to post those on houzz.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Over the years I've had several in depth soil analysis done and the only thing my soil needs is nitrogen. The phosphorous and potassium (the PK in the NPK analysis on fertilizer labels) is very high here and adding more via a "complete" fertilizer such as Osmocote could actually inhibit good growth and bloom. Sandy or fast draining soils may need the extra PK, but for regular to clay soils it is not needed. A good soil analysis Ruth might answer a lot of questions for you.......... I don't fertilize my in ground daylilies, but were I do go to the trouble of doing so I would scatter some Urea 46-0-0 (in other words nitrogen only) lightly into the soil in the spring to help with the new growth. My potted daylilies with their fast draining potting mix gets Osmocote Plus (the one with the minor elements) among other things, but not my in ground daylilies ..........Maryl

• ruthz

Thanks Mary. Most of mine are in 25 gallon pots or raised beds. I do have some in ground.

• signet_gw(6b)

Ruthz ......download your images from your phone to your computer . I.e. make a new file and name it whatever you want in your picture file on your computer . Then connect your phone to your computer . it will automatically create a drive from your phone , Click on this and then open that file . you can then copy images to that first file folder you made on your computer , if you have both windows open you can drag and drop . Once on your computer you can resize your images using a free program called Irfanview . Resave that image (now resized) Then come to Gardenweb to your post at the bottom you will see below the post box the word photo Click on that then search for your image on your computer . Once you have found it simply click the box to the bottom right that says open . It will then insert your image into your post on Gardenweb.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Ruthz: If you have yours in raised beds and large pots then you probably can use a dose of Osmocote Plus in spring depending on how much you water or it rains. I suppliment my spring "Osmocote Plus" feeding in my pots with 1/2 strength Miracid (Miracle Gro for Acid Loving Plants) every couple/ 3 weeks if I'm watering a lot (as in the heart of summer when I water my smaller pots every day). The Miracid type fertilizer has micro nutrients and a higher percentage of nitrogen then the other Miracle Gro formulations. Brand name isn't that important, it's what's inside that counts...........Maryl