Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_schrier

Looking for ideas to refresh 2007 kitchen

Mike Schrier
5 years ago

Our house was built in 2007,

right before the light kitchen wave was the norm. We’re looking for ideas to give it a refresh without breaking the bank. There are a ton of nice wood cabinets and we don’t really want to paint them. I’d love to see ideas on tile and / or countertops that would update the kitchen while maintaining the cabinets.

Comments (13)

• sarahachevalier
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I agree with the above suggestions. Additional ideas:

• Larger tile, lighter in color
    • Change barstools
    • Change knobs and faucet
    • Remove some of the things from the countertop
    Mike Schrier thanked sarahachevalier
  • rantontoo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Change the tile to something less patterned and lighter. The counters will be expensive to change but would totally change the visual impact of the kitchen. Is there pink in the counter?

Since changing the backsplash is a given, I think I would get several sample paint colors chosen to match the lightest colors in the granite (no yellows or pinks) and prime/paint the existing tiles. You should be able to tell if just a backsplash change gives you enough of an updated look.

Mike Schrier thanked rantontoo
  • Mike Schrier
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thats good idea. Hadn’t thought about just painting the tiles. There is no pink in the granite.

• Susie .
    5 years ago
    To me, the granite and backsplash are the big offenders. An off white quartz and backsplash would do wonders. You can test it by painting the backsplash, but you will likely need to remove the backsplash anyway if you take out the countertop.
    Mike Schrier thanked Susie .
  • damiarain
    5 years ago

There are apps you can try to visualize different materials in your space. For instance Cambria has "Cambria AR" (augmented reality app for iphone/android) - possibly something like that could give you some ideas. (they also have a online visualizer that lets you see their sample space with two different counter tops - like the image below).

Something you can try is placing poster board in front of the back splash and/or covering the counters with sheets - to get an idea of how lighter materials would help (added with that - what's your under-cabinet lighting situation like?) Speaking of lighting - perhaps the pendants over the island could be updated too - something larger and more modern?

One other thought - there seems to be a lot of ... stuff ... on the counters - working to establish places for everything leads to less things just left on the counter as clutter

Mike Schrier thanked damiarain
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

What is your flooring?

If it's wood it won't matter, most likely, in terms of tile/countertop choices

If it's tile/stone I'd want to see it first because then it should be considered when choosing other hard surfaces

Mike Schrier thanked aprilneverends
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

Decluttering will go a long way toward freshening up your kitchen. Less frequently used countertop appliances could be moved into cabinets. Would recommend replacing the pendant fixtures. The hood definitely dates the kitchen. Not sure if you can replace but would if you can afford to. If not, building a box around it to match the cabinets would hide it. Wood finish cabinets seem to be coming back into style. So, you might be on the cutting edge there, LOL. Would recommend replacing one or a couple of upper cabinet doors with glass inset. And, yes, counter and backsplash could use replacing. Something light in color maybe to offset the darkness of the kitchen and the cabinetry. Please post pics after and good luck with your renovation!

Mike Schrier thanked Norwood Architects
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I would change the wall color to a very light beige or greige and change the backsplash to a simple one color tile. Something in the off white/cream family. Take down the art & change your pendants.

• Mike Schrier
    Original Author
    5 years ago

In terms of updating the pendants, I was thinking I could swap the fixtures only and maybe go with something like this: https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/8in-clear-cylinder-shade-2-14-fitter or in white https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/8in-opal-cylinder-shade-2-14-fitter Thoughts?

• damiarain
    5 years ago

I like the first one - I prefer clear glass - even tho that does make the bulb very visible =)

Mike Schrier thanked damiarain
  • wilson853
    5 years ago

A two-tone look can be beautiful. I see that your trim is white, so for a brighter, crisp look, I would paint or replace just the uppers on the cooktop wall and take them to the ceiling with crown. A local cabinet maker could probably add boxes atop the cabinets that you already have. Updating to a single bowl sink with either dark or light countertops and a light backsplash would give you a whole new look. Paint and lighting to follow.

Mike Schrier thanked wilson853
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Hi Mike-

I really like your cabinets, please don't pain't them.

I think your back splash and counter are competing with each other because they both have a lot of pattern and the result is almost stressful on the eyes. It's like wearing plaid pants and a flowered shirt.

I would decide which you like better, and get rid of the other.

Whichever you keep, pick something more solid or very neutral that goes well with the surface you are keeping for the other surface.

I love the dark, dark, grey quartz or Corian counter that looks like soapstone. Your kitchen is large enough for a dark counter like that and it would dynamite with you cabinets and it would set off you backsplash perfectly.

Also, your wall seems rather yellow, or maybe it's just my monitor?

I like the traditional schoolhouse pendant shape similar to the one you selected, but closed all over, so there is no glare from the bulb.

Mike Schrier thanked loobab
Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz