0

Layout for trapezoid kitchen/diner

Elena
Hello everyone,
Here is the image of the current kitchen and dining room. I’m thinking to remove these dividing, useless walls to expand the room and it’s potential. May I ask for some ideas, tricks on how to maximise the potential of the room for the comfort for the family of 5 . Also, one of my jobs is cake decorator...
I am looking for some ideas on furnishing and improving this area
Many thanks in advance !

• rinq

Are you replacing the kitchen too?

• rinq

And is you floorplan in scale? Because the 3.15 from te sitting room is not the same as the 3.15 in the dining room. :)

The scale bothered me too, I think in thes case a detailed to scale floor plan and some pictures would really help.

• Elena
    Thank you, that’s right, the whole plan is not scaled properly.
    The widest part of the kitchen is the same width as the sitting room in reality. This is the kitchen picture.
    Yes, all old furniture will be replaced. I would like really tall cabinets and hidden appliances.
    Thank you
    RL Relocation LLC

How do we feel about the washroom?

Is the back door the garage? Or to exterior?

Is this a row or town house? or is it it's own structure?

Which walls are load bearing?

How often do you use the dining room? Would you be ok with a nook or bar area instead?

• Elena
    No need for another wash room , there are two bathrooms upstairs . We aren’t planning to extend or change the building. We are seeking advise on the clever use this unusual shape kitchen/diner. Thank you.

You seem to have quite a large soffit above the cabinets , what is in it?That will certainly have to be dealt with before choosing tall cabinets.When you say hiiden appliances do you mean the small appliances or the large ones hidden behind panels that match the cabinets.Or something like this. I think an imaginative designer could come up with something awesome but what is your budget? How many people need to have seating at the table, where are the windows in these spaces? The more info we get the more ideas will flow. But really the first thing is an actual to scale drawing.

• Elena
    I understand, thank you very much.
  • rinq

Your layout really isn't that bad. I've been playing around with your floorplan and eventally came back to just about the current layout. Other designs would leave little room for tall cabinets/fridge. I'd suggest a floor to ceiling cabinet on the "toilet wall" (with fridge and oven) and not too many upper cabinets on the other walls, maybe some on the sink wall. Stainless modern hood. Countertop on sink wall a bit deeper, so doors can be placed in front of your washer/dryer. Plenty of drawers under the built-in stovetop.

And yes, a scaled floorplan of diner+kitchen would help a lot. But here's my unscaled idea ;)

• Elena
    I will get exact measures...
  • Elena
    Thank you, rinqreation. I will get exact measures ones we get our keys, so exciting!
    What is the reason for different hight cabinets on two sides please? Yes, you understood me right, I want to hide all the white goods behind the doors.
    Ideally, my dream dinning area is with the high bench/sofa on one side and 4 chair or rounded table. But, first, I must get the measuring tape involved. Thank you for your time
  • rinq

This is what the dutch ikea planner let me make of it.

• bbtrix / I Miss Sophie

“I’m thinking to remove these dividing, useless walls to expand the room and it’s potential.” You’ll need to know whether these walls are load bearing or not.

Can the washer and dryer be moved to the “toilet wall”? Are you limited by plumbing and electrical locations?

• partim

I suggest you live with it for awhile so you know what works and what doesn't. I would not remove a main floor bathroom.

• jpp221
    What strikes me, as I look at this, is that the kitchen must be dark. I’d certainly knock down the wall between it and the dining space, and also the walls between the kitchen and the sitting room. Aside from ease of movement, it will bring light from what I assume is a patio or something into the kitchen. Removing that dining area wall will likely mean destroying your cabinetry and thus redoing the whole kitchen. Maybe there’s room there for an island, or more work space of some sort, or whatever meets your needs—so assess those needs. (It will also mean your dining area is less formal, but it sounds like you’re ready for that.)
  • Elena
    Thank you for all the input.
    These dividing walls are not supporting walls.
  • jpp221
    By the way, I’m going to take a guess here that this house is in the UK. I say this because of all the doors—something I notice is that until recently, in the UK, every room must have a door (for instance, from hall to living space). Not a judgement, just an observation, and wondering if I’m off on that.
  • bbtrix / I Miss Sophie

Can washer/dryer be moved?

• Elena
    Hello , it is in south England and the doors are the standard of houses that are not unique design. The door in the kitchen must stay as per fire safety policy for the town houses.
    I’m planing to invest into the conservatory in the garden that will be connected to the kitchen and the living room. Thank you for your input x
  • Elena
    The washer can be moved but that will cost more... thNk you
  • rantontoo

The plumbing cost might not be too bad if you move the washer to the bathroom wall of the kitchen.

RL Relocation LLC

"No need for another wash room , there are two bathrooms upstairs . We aren’t planning to extend or change the building. We are seeking advise on the clever use this unusual shape kitchen/diner. Thank you."

We cant advise you until we know the facts, like that door must stay, this wall cant be moved, I dont use the dining room for formal meals..

All that context is helping us help you.

do you use the dining room?

could you live without washroom down stairs?