Software
Houzz Logo Print
susan_murin

feedback on kitchen layout please

7 years ago
Getting to build a kitchen from scratch for the first time- so many decisions! We entertain a lot. Tried to keep the ‘public’ areas (wine bar and wine fridge, coffee bar, fridge) away from the work triangle. I’ve got prep sink in island and clean up sink against the wall. Each has dishwasher and trash pullouts. I don’t have a pantry but put in 2 pantry cabinets. All drawers on lowers except a cabinet for pop-up mixer. Materials palate is white shaker periphery cabs, dark wood island and hood, leathered quartz counters on periphery, neutral quartz on island, and the star of the kitchen is the backsplash.

Appreciate any feedback before I pull the trigger. My buzzwords for what I’m going for are are functional, timeless, beautiful.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

  • 7 years ago
    Anyone??
  • 7 years ago
    Looks amazing! Can you share your quartz names please? Love your choices of materials and layout.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I"d rather see the cabinet and appliance plan, flat. Id that a trash pull, or paneled dw left of the primary sink? Neither would be convenient. Not a fan of the dark hood, but that is secondary. Your fridge appears directly in traffic as well...........from I assume a garage mud entry? Post the whole plan, can cab plan?

  • 7 years ago
    Nice , except for the refrigerator ...should be on other side next to painting ...more practical in my opinion .
  • 7 years ago
    I put cabinets on the back side of my island. Instead of using a push mechanism (which will be annoying if people kick the door while sitting) we put flat finger pulls at the top of the door. You can’t see them because they are flush against the underside of the countertop overhang. The doors do not rattle when hit by someone sitting at the counter. This is a great place to store items I don’t use often, like extra plates or holiday china. I have a big island and I gained three cabinets this way.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Unless a re select in refrigerator, it can not go right of the cook. Just one reason I asked to see the entire kitchen within the other adjacent hallways and spaces.

  • 7 years ago
    Thanks so much everyone for your comments! Very helpful.
    - the entry to side of fridge is laundry only, no entry or mud room, so shouldn’t be in traffic flow (only 2 of us in the house)
    - I have been feeling ambivalent about the dark hood too
    - this is a total gut job. Bought it and am doing the renovation before moving in. Right now I can stand on floor and look straight up to underside of roof(!) since ceilings are out, too, so I don’t think venting will be an issue but will check with my contractor). I know it’s loud (I have a 48” range with hood now) but we cope. I just love the range that much (with 2 of us we use the little oven a ton)
    - that isn’t a DW or pullout perpendicular to clean up sink, it’s a magic corner pullout with I think a spacer next to it. DW and trash are R of sink
    - my DH doesn’t cook or prep much, only grills!
    - the backsplash is not textured. It is a glass tile that is perfectly smooth. I was thinking of using it in subway form for most of the splash and the shape shown for behind the stove
    - I hear you re 2 cab colors/2 counters being busy. I have been pondering that. I am just hesitant about all white... while it is timeless, it’s also having a moment and I don’t want to date itself.
    - if I go to all same color cabs, what about a color other than white? Belmont cabs will paint any BM color I want

    Thanks again!
  • 7 years ago
    Is the pullout to the left of the clean-up sink a trash bin? It is always most convenient to have the dishwasher on the same wall as the sink so rinsing and placing items into the dishwasher can be done in one smooth motion.
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The OP just stated:

    - that isn’t a DW or pullout perpendicular to clean up sink, it’s a magic corner pullout with I think a spacer next to it. DW and trash are R of sink

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Why glass cabinets uppers next to the hood? I think I would go without the glass so you can actually use them.

    cabinets on the end that you see the sides could use some nice panels on them.


    i like the two tones of cabinets, for the hood, maybe keep with that and do white on the bottom the curved part (island matching color) and the top white. something like this hood.


    IMO the wood colored island gets alittle lost, i am thinking of doing a nice blue on the island like this... but clearly thats just preference.


  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    If you want "timeless" ? Simplify to one cabinet color, and highlight the island top. Or Two cabinet colors, and ONE top. Don't even think about a backsplash yet.

    And re think the hood : )

    That microwave spot? Doesn't really need a "set down" space. It's a simple turn to your island. I'd give that a more built in and seamless looking appearance.



  • 7 years ago
    Thank you everyone for the generous gift of your time and advice. I fell in love with the backsplash and have been going with the ‘one star in the kitchen’ approach, with that as my star. Is that a mistake?

    Re the microwave thing, I have micro above, warming drawer below, and was planning to put our espresso machine on the counter. I don’t want to splurge on built in coffee maker so was planning to use our existing countertop machine and I thought having it to the side would keep anyone using it out of my way in cooking triangle. Should I rethink?

    Someone asked about pantry cabs- the one by fridge is full pullout- the storage comes out with the door. The one by wine fridge has the pull out drawers behind doors. My KD advised that so that I had more options on height of what I put in and use (I foresee storing gadgets in there like crockpot, cuisinart, etc not just dry goods. Should I rethink that as well?

    I wanted the glass cabs to break things up and matched the arches to the splash. I have enough pretty stuff to put there for glass to be ok.

    What do folks think of my doing a custom paint on all cabs rather than white if I get rid of the contrasting island?

    This is the wood floor I’m considering. It will run through whole first floor.
  • 7 years ago

    * Unless a re select in refrigerator, it can not go right of the cook. *..why not ??

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Why Not? It would have to be too close to the range, it would block the light from the window, and the DOOR WONT FULLY OPEN TO THE RIGHT: ) unless it is too close to the range: )

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I'd say LESS gray on that floor.....please?That new pic looks much grayer than your sample above?! Monitor is lying? Warmer and deeper/browner ? Then select a deep warm gray on the island cabinetry?

    Can you put the espresso machine on the bar and make it double as coffee station and bar? Not from prep sink for water.

  • 7 years ago
    Jan- yes it’s a different floor. I love the wide plank lighter oak floors but am concerned they will date the home since they are so on trend now and such a change from the dark wood I had in my last 2 homes. I was influenced by Maria Killam’s POV that mid tone brown is most timeless (not too light not too dark). The newer choice floors aren’t showing true in pic- they don’t look gray IRL though they have cool rather than warm undertone- the black glazed ebony stained cabs I was going to do on island dictated that I couldn’t go warm. I like the grain. I’m not 100% committed yet and value your input. I guess if I change the island and hood I have more choices available for flooring. The wood floors will run through entire house except baths so a big decision!!!

    I feel so lucky to be able to do my new place over from the studs- but my anxiety over all the choices is taking some of the fun out of it!
  • 7 years ago

    JAN MOYER thanks ...but no need to shout ! I for got its a double door fridge ..not that common in the UK

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I wasn't s"shouting lol. It just wont fully open, which is sort of important. Especially if you want the bins out to clean it : )