Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Virus concerns for new roses?

I am amassing quite a collection of roses, and from all over the US. I was wondering if I should be concerned about bringing any pests or viruses into my garden, and if you all had any thoughts or tips for cleaning, quarentining, etc.? TIA :-)

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago
    Perma, you will do find. I know you are buying most of your roses from very reputable sources. I won't be worried.
    Pest will come but you already know what to do and as for viruses it will be more of BS issues that is due to our weather. I am not going to RRD subject at all.
    Overall, I have faith in you. They all look so healthy when you got your roses. We will tackle them if things go whacky....but I am very sure it won't.
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago

    It is possible for pests and diseases to hitch a ride on mail order roses, even from reputable sources. For avoiding the transfer of insects, bare root roses are best (unfortunately most of the roses I want to grow are not available bare root). You can establish a quarantine area for potted roses to see if they appear healthy before introducing them into your garden. Unfortunately that won't do much to prevent nasty insects, if they are present. There is only so much you can do, right? As for viruses, they are likely already present in some of your roses and may only manifest if the rose is stressed. The only way to know that a rose isn't virused is have it tested for viruses, which isn't something a home gardener can do. Some people say that viruses are only transmissible during grafting. I try to be on the extra careful side, knowing that some of my Austin roses have shown mosaic patterns on their leaves I assume them to be virused and so I clean my secateurs between bushes when pruning, deadheading, or cutting flowers. Most people don't bother.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    To prevent midge infecting your other roses, quarantine them on a hard surface and cover the soil with either plastic or landscaping fabric regardless of whether or not you spray. If you do spray, use cyfluthrin to saturate the plant. Then watch for any burnt tips. During warm weather this can take anywhere from 3-14 days and up to 21 days in cooler weather. You should be good beyond that. This is for potted plants. I would be way less worried about bareroots carrying midge. I wish someone had of warned me about midge when I first started buying roses as it's a process to get rid of it and they spread like wildfire destroying all your flowers. Good for you for asking. An ounce of prevention..... I wouldn't worry about RMV.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Dr. Malcolm Manners has treated roses and his VI are a great choice as far as avoiding RMV. I think rosepetals has the virus indexed ones and Antique Rose Emporium does too.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    If the Florida Southern Collection results are typical for the rest of the state,

    one of the Florida viruses is aphid transfered (Rose Spring Dwarf).

    https://sites.google.com/site/rosespringdwarf/home

    " The 2018 National Clean Plant Rose meeting presentations are available at:

    https://ucanr.edu/sites/ncpnrose/Network_Business/may_2017_agenda/2018_Meetings/

    (I cannot see any way to directly link to an individual page in a Power Link presentation.) On the first day of the 2018 meeting, Kevin Org presented the following results of his University's (TAMU) testing of 150 roses in the Florida Southern Collection:

    Rose Spring Dwarf (RsDAV) was found in 21 of the 150 plants tested. Blackberry chlorotic ringspot virus (BcRV) was found in one plant, Prunus necrotic ringspot virus (PNRSV) was found in 6 plants, and Rose yellow vein virus (RYVV) was found in six plants. Four plants had mixed viruses - two had RsDAV and RYVV (Paul Neyron and Pulich Children) and two had PNRSV and RsDAV (B. rugosa ruba and Red Pinocchio).

    ------------------------------------------------------------------


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked henry_kuska
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for the encouragement, Jin! Thanks to all for great info! I will set up an area for checking them as they arrive. :-)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    another one ....for Florida. You can always write to Dr, Manners or call him. He is very knowledgeable and will anwers any questions you have. I trust him 100 per cent.

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/mannion/pdfs/Pests%20of%20Roses%20March2009.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjUkeq45sjgAhWrY98KHcR1CR8QFjADegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2qaZyWKsdxhti3Stt3_wPo

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    RR, BoxWood Blight. I swear, I tipy toe thinking about what can be introduced into the garden at times - especially the ones that can wipe out swaths in the garden that may take years to replace in size ! And well, eh, sometimes, it's just outta your hands and one just hopes for the best.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked a1an
  • 7 years ago

    Great ideas everyone! I’m just really excited about all my new babies, and want to do right by them! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    After I got midge, last year I started doing the quarantine on the patio thing plus cover soil with plastic on all new online orders to prevent spread of possible midge. None of the new plants had midge, but I am sticking to the practice just in case.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you to all for good tips! I’ve been dunking my little bands as recommended by Christopher, and it’s super easy. I think I had a bit of midge on a few, but it’s gone now. :-)