0

Curtians in LR, DR, KIT

db423
last modified: February 21, 2019

I have had so much great help from this group on my bedroom I thought I would ask for more :). I am trying to find curtains for my LR and side by side kitchen as well as my dining room. I really want red check curtains either in my kit or dinning room. My LR is balanced beige and kitchen is accessible beige. I am really not sure what to do. The windows are all on one wall in the LR and KIT but I only want a valance in the Kit since we have kids and curtains are hard to keep clean. I thought about beige curtains in the LR and red check in the kitchen. My husband thinks I need to go with darker in the LR either brown or gray but our couch is dark brown leather and that is tooo much brown for me. My dining room is under construction but will have ship lap on the back wall with the antique door the rest of the room will be possibly silver strand but if I use the red check curtains here I may need a different wall color...not sure. I am changing my table and thought about doing two corner china cabinets since the room is a little small (maybe chalk paint them white).

• decoenthusiaste

Match LR curtains to wall color. Do a matching tan check for the dining/kitchen.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Please don't put dark curtains over your beautiful French doors. Given that you have little wall space on either end I'm not sure how well curtain panels would work at all, but at any rate they should be rather naarrow. Since they are all visible together I would definitely put the same drapes in the living and dining rooms. I would hold off on the red check curtains except as a valance for the kitchen, assuming it's appropriate there. The overall look of the rooms is more important than wanting a particular pattern or color somewhere. I like the curtain put up at the furthest right in the living room since it blends well with the wall color, which is what you want in this case, since the doors themselves should be the focus of interest.

I would first of all concentrate on rugs for the dining room and living room, the colors and patterns of which should dictate how the rooms will be decorated. Please don't just do brown and beige, but find some gorgeous rugs you love and then use the colors in them for pillows and paintings on the wall.

• db423

I wished I didn't have to have curtains but I will need them for privacy and be able to cover all the windows so I may need to find some that are lined but thin material. The beige ones to the furthest right was my 1st choice along red check for the breakfast area...do you think the red would work ok or should I go with beige checked ones?

• db423

This is our rug in the living room ...blue/light blue

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

If the kitchen is around the corner where you can't see it at the same time as the other curtains it might be okay, but checks don't seem to go with what I'm seeing of your decor so far. I hope you're doing a valance rather than a curtain in the kitchen so that it won't get in the way of kitchen activities, unless the window is not above a counter.

• decoenthusiaste

Have you considered buffalo check throughout? Drapes for the windows and a matching valance for the kitchen. They go with any decor, IMO. Since your husband wants darker ones, look at the black on ivory ones. He gets darker, you get checks.