Software
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Nestor; The elusive gem

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Does anyone know of any sources? Me and Linda both have looked for this one. She suggested I make a post so that is what I'm doing. If none knows of any sources, and grows it, can you spare some cuttings or a sucker? Much thanks! Any info appreciated. I'm going to also email a rose nursery that used to sell it as well.
Edited to say I see no way to message the nursery I was told to message.
So it's up to ya'll wonderful people :)

Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    hopefully oldrosarian will see this. I saw they posted a picture on HMF.

    Alana8aSC thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • 7 years ago

    It's a lovely rose but I wonder if it might not do better in a colder climate than yours. It also blooms only once and than you might be left with foliage for the rest of the year which could look a bit ratty. I don't mean to be negative; it's just something to consider.

    Alana8aSC thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Actually, Ingrid's right. This is a Hybrid Gallica, so it will appreciate some winter. Also, 'Nestor' of commerce apparently isn't the original rose introduced as 'Nestor'.

    Alana8aSC thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Maybe you don't recall my Spring thread from last year. The once bloomers do marvelous for me. I have plenty of chill for them. I have more problems with the chinas and teas than I do the once bloomers. I have lost more chinas and Teas, than anything else, due to our wacky spring freeze, thaw. The European once bloomers are my favorite Rose's of them all. Maybe me living next to a river helps me, not sure.

    I know the Nestor is not the original. This one is so beautiful though and has so many marvelous comments.

    Besides I love the Spring bloom the best. I have a few repeaters for fall bloom. It's too hot in the summer for me to enjoy any bloom then, and my health messes with me real bad in the summer, mostly because of the humidity.

    Once bloomers do best for me. Period. They are easy to take care of, have beautiful bloom, some have red canes in winter, colored foliage, I love their growth habitat, especially the suckering Gallicas. They are my loves. They are not weak, I do not have to baby them, I love how robust they are! I am so lucky I am able to grow them and they do so well for me. Besides that they are my favorite color, dusky mauves, purples, wine reds, they are my most looked forward to rose in Spring. I love them even without blooms.

  • 7 years ago

    Alana is the ogr queen as far as I'm concerned. She has the truest love for them.

    Alana8aSC thanked erasmus_gw
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks love! Muah! That means so much! Your so sweet! I do so love them! :)

  • 7 years ago

    It's a lovely looking rose and by all accounts a good performer, it's just that when I look at pictures from my local supplier, they look the same or very similar to those for 'President de Seze'... but not growing either I can't really compare...


    Nestor


    P de Seze

    Alana8aSC thanked User
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It may look similar in that stage but it's different. In the words of Suzy Verrier " it's hardly another pink"!


    Just because you have one pink rose, doesn't mean you don't want another! :)

  • 7 years ago

    Wow, now I want one too! I want both of them! What beautiful blooms!

    Alana8aSC thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Old rosarian.... do you also have 'President de Seze' from Beales and can you confirm they are quite different? it's just that on the links I provided from the nursery in England, and they would have got their stock from Beales, it says for both roses ..''few or no thorns''.. and both with ''strong'' fragrance...

    ...yet all the references to these roses on HMF state that 'Nestor' is ''virtually thornless'' whereas 'P de Seze' is ''very thorny''...''quite numerous prickles''..''..''many prickles''..

    It just makes me question whether they are selling the same rose under 2 different names, which wouldn't surprise me these days... compare Irene Watts/Pink Gruss an Aachen etc..

    I notice Beales says the same for both roses ..''little or no thorns'' .. 'relatively thornless''..

    Alana8aSC thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you old rosarian, Beautiful picture! Yes, no where here carries it either. Christopher told me of somewhere that may have it, but they have yet to answer my email.

  • 7 years ago

    President de Seze from Peter Beales. Nestor has a full, fluffy look. The president is firmer and has a mauve casting. I am not saying it is correct but it was from Beales when he owned the nursery.

    Both have a strong fragrance both have some thorns but Nestor has the least thorns.



  • 7 years ago

    Both incredibly beautiful roses! I’ve said it a thousand times, and I’ll say it again; if I had the right climate, plenty of water, pleny space, AND (this is a biggie), plenty of energy, I’d grow either or both of them in a heartbeat. They really are breathtaking! Lisa

    Alana8aSC thanked Lisa Adams
  • 7 years ago

    old rosarian... thanks for the photos and confirming the differences... both lovely roses by the looks of things...

    Alana8aSC thanked User
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Lisa! They grow very easily for me! That's just one of the reasons I love them so! Not alot of energy is needed, you know I have autoimmune illness issues as well. These Rose's are so rewarding for me. And IMO the suckering as they get older is not to hard to take care of either. I just love them!

    I did order me a few Tea Rose's to try from ARE free shipping sale. I tried to get the more cold hardy ones. I also figured them being more mature might help them as well. I plan on making a Tea bed, next to my vegetable garden! I hope these I ordered are more cold hardy, and live.