Software
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

Anyone with a small space?

While I love looking at pictures on this forum from members with huge gardens and hundreds of roses, I would love to hear from people with smaller yards, surely they exist?
I have very limited space. And not moving, at least not in the next 10 to 15 yrs or foreseeable future. I love plants. All of them. Though these days I seem to be motivated by fragrance. Jasmine, roses, fragrant herbs, tropicals..
How do you squeeze them in? Need inspiration, insight and advice!

Comments (64)

  • 7 years ago

    Years ago we had a backyard that was 25’W x35’L. I also parked a Corvette in that space. Sooo, there was not much room left over. Down each side, about 3 feet from the fence, on both sides, we installed a winding row of vertical 8” high pressure treated boards to form a mini fence. We then planted wild flowers down both sides. An arch was installed at the end of the yard with rose climbers going up and over. Needless to say one could really unwind after a busy day at work by just sitting on the back steps and viewing the flowers.

    My point in this is to say that you don’t need a big yard to have a thing of beauty. I think we are making a big mistake by only having roses in our gardens. Fill in the dead spaces with wild flowers.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked toolbelt68
  • 7 years ago

    Having gardened in both large properties (42 acres) and small (0.15 acre), I agree that there are pros and cons to both. The thing about a small garden is that you have to be very clear about what you want the most in your garden. Do you want space to entertain and a well designed space for people, or do you want to cram in as many plants as possible? Is it somewhere in between? In my postage stamp garden, I grew mostly smaller plants and a huge variety. The plants were meticulously cared for. In this small garden, not only was I able to be more attentive to neatness, but I noticed that it was needed, as whatever was there was more visible. In my current garden (about 0.35 acre), I grow larger plants, and probably actually much less variety than in the smaller garden. They are less attentively cared for. A forgotten drift of leaves is more easily overlooked. When I was in the tiny garden, I longed for a larger yard to grow more things, but now it is on the edge of what I'm able to care for, and frustrating when I have gone over that line and something has died from inattention. My husband said to me a long time ago (while I was probably whining about having too small a yard): "There are two big disappointments in life: 1) Not having what you want and 2) having what you want." So true in the garden. But I haven't quite learned the lesson yet. Now I want to add a second cherry tree, and a few more varieties of roses, but there isn't room, and I certainly don't have the energy for more high-maintenance plants. There are definite benefits to having a small yard, but I didn't realize it until I had a bigger yard. Go figure.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • 7 years ago


    Rekha - if you could post a picture of your back and front yards, it would give everyone on here a better idea of the space, and they could be more helpful.

    One suggestion I have for shade is hellebores. If you are not familiar with them, when not blooming they are very attractive small mounds of green with very large leaves. They start blooming here (zone 9 in Northern CA) in early January, and keep blooming through March/April - it amazing how long the blooms last. No care at all, except removing last years leaves in late Fall to make room for the new leaves which start emerging then. You can plant one, or a row, or lots. They make babies after they are mature, so you will have a free supply. I cut the blooms and float them in a bowl for a centerpiece. Here are some pictures of mine.

    Jackie







    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 7 years ago

    I live in a row house so my entire property is only 15 feet wide.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-maryland-rose-garden-2018-dsvw-vd~5310462?n=73



    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • 7 years ago

    If you have Netflix check out the show Big dreams Small spaces. Great show for small gardens.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • 7 years ago

    Here is a layout, gives an idea of what I have. Most of the trees, grape vines etc were there when we bought the house. I took out most of the shrubs in the front and planted shade tolerant camellias, gardenias, etc. Along with some evergreens. They are doing fine, more or less. Only the backyard gets full sun. I cannot eat into the lawn.


    The yard has to look somewhat neat. Its It's used for entertaining, its open for all to see from the golfcourse. I would like to add another veggie bed, more Roses, how many can I cram in!! And another fruit tree or two.


  • 7 years ago

    I have to smile at a Texan's concept of a 'small' yard. ;-) My whole plot would fit into your driveway, Rekha.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • 7 years ago

    I don't have one but I think a solution would be a pergola -- or several.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked monarda_gw
  • 7 years ago

    Don’t know if a Pink Dogwood trees grow in the Houston area but if they do then I suggest you plant one in the left upper area of your layout. Since dogwood trees don’t like anything covering their roots you will want to brick in an area for chairs etc before the tree gets large(roots will grow around the bricks). They only have leaves on the outer edges of the canopy and nothing grows under them, except for ferns etc. You will end up with a great area, out of the sun, for just relaxing.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked toolbelt68
  • 7 years ago

    Lol floral, that is true! I did not mean to complain at all, we needed, for various reasons, a large house, and we are blessed to have one in a good suburb with good schools. I spend 2 hrs on my commute every day, everything is indeed larger in Texas!


    My only issue is that I have plenty of space in the front that is not usable. Lots of paved area in the back.


    Monarda, there is a large gazebo to the right side of the spa. The area is paved though. There are 2 grape vines that grow like weeds. I am trying to grow climbing roses but they get too much shade from the neighbors trees.


    The are does get some direct sun, but not 6 hrs+


  • 7 years ago

    Try Madame Alfred Carriere for the somewhat-shaded gazebo spot. Be aware that she is vigorous and can get quite large.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked K S 7a Yakima
  • 7 years ago

    Summersrythem, there is a large wall or ledge on the side on the pool, no worries on what is planted on the other side.


    MAC is an options, but I was hoping for something not as large, but shade tolerant and fragrant. I am intimidated by the size..

  • 7 years ago

    Modest, which rose is that? It's beautiful.

  • 7 years ago

    Modest, would you mind posting a few pictures so I can see the space? You have an incredible number of beautiful plants and I would love to see the space.

  • 7 years ago

    The growing space is actually quite limited. I can see why you would want to use containers because of all the paved area. It must be very beautiful, though, with all the camellias and gardenias. I don't think I get more than six hours of direct sun anywhere in my front or back garden, myself (alas for me). Yet I grow quite a lot of roses. Some are fantastic in spring but no where near what they could be with more sun after that. What a shame can't plant roses along the back fence. Well then arches at strategic points?

    Also, for the north side, the hybrid musks are generally shade tolerant (except for Souvenir de la Malmaison). I thought the sun in Houston is so much stronger than that up here. Four hours might be enough for them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Finally, where you are you could grow teas and the fantastic (once blooming) banskia roses. They do grow large, but what a show! A garden in one plant.
    Anyway, I feel so blessed to have a few yards in which to garden myself in the middle of a huge city. We must enjoy what we have.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked monarda_gw
  • 7 years ago

    Monarda,


    Growing space is limited, but I like the large patio, being open to the golf course with all the wildlife that comes with it. Even in the dead of summer, because it is so open, we can actually sit out without baking. And the pool and paved are is quite pretty..


    I also like containers, its it's more intimate and brings everything to eye level.


    I can plant roses around the corners, just not along the whole fence as the yard is not deep enough, and hoa restrictions. I am thinking of adding a bed on the left side shortly. And maybe sneaking in a few roses between the citrus trees and pear tree.


    I will look into the hybrid musks, I can expand our front beds, to an extent...the oaks are there with their shade!


    I dont want to give the impression that I am unhappy, I have a beautiful house in a very nice setting. Most houses have the same amount of yard space, some more, some less. Every day I come home, I am happy and feel blessed to have such a beautiful house and space. I just want to maximize what I have and grow more plants!! Its genetic....my grandfather was an avid gardener, my mom is only happy when around plants..it has to rub off!!


    I just need some inspiration and some ideas which I am getting from this forum and this thread.





  • 7 years ago

    We'll be eagerly awaiting pictures of the results. Good luck!

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked monarda_gw
  • 7 years ago

    If you want more fruit trees, you can plant ones on dwarf root stock in large pots. I had my citrus (and still do) in pots along with fig trees. In your climate, they should do well. Several companies are having sells right now on them, if you are interested. Most of my fruit trees have come from Four Wind Growers and they have good trees available. They are on the net and you can check out their supply. No, I don't work for the company nor do I get compensated for mentioning them. I have grown several berries in pots as well and they do just fine. I push zones a lot and have white alpine strawberries growing in pots in my yard and they do great. I am always cutting them back and the berries are delicious!

    Four Wind Growers

    You have a lovely yard. Much bigger than I thought. I am sure it will be beautiful!

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you mustbenuts, I went a bit late to the urban harvest tree sale this year and missed out on the citrus trees, was hoping to get a lemon for a planter. Pomegranate is also on my list, I will look into four growers. My locally bought strawberries never did anything much, but I admit, I did not know what I was doing.


    I have been focusing on the front yard for the past couple of years as it was ghastly. Now that looks good, except for adding a bit here and there which I inevitably will do, nothing major to me done.


    Focus in now on the backyard. Thanks for the fruit suggestions, will be looking to add some this fall as I have some prep work to before I can plant.

  • 7 years ago

    I'd l.ove to see some Before and Afters of your front yard. It sounds really pretty

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    the pink rose is Summer Romance

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks vapor, I will take pictures when the plants are blooming. My camellias are mostly done for this year. I do like them a lot, except none are fragrant. I put in 3 dwarf gardenias last year and cant wait for them to bloom, see lots of tiny buds!

  • 7 years ago

    Modestgoddess, I also live in a row house. Mine is 20 ft. wide. :)

  • 7 years ago

    One fairly obvious tip I can pass on from having a small garden is to enjoy things while you have them and then give them away when they get too big. Each one you discard (or which dies) is an opportunity to try something else.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked monarda_gw
  • 7 years ago

    I second modest‘s suggestion of “Big Dreams, Small Gardens.” They talk through the design requirements of a smaller garden, and provide lots of inspiration.

    I might be tempted to put in a row of pillars in front of the iron fence. You could grow roses and other climbers (including edibles!) up them. I love the look of rope or chain swags connecting the pillars, too. It could create some privacy for you on that side.

    What a wonderful space to design around! :-)

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    such an interesting thread Rekha!! I hear ya! i belong to the category of people who have a backyard of size 15x20 ft. space in my backyard is out.. i went container gardening way a couple of years back and i am pretty happy about what I have achieved so far. specially when I have to move them for sun:) in my grey Seattle.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked R pnwz8a
  • 7 years ago

    Perma, I was thinking of putting up an obelisk in that corner, I think I need HOA permission for that, but should be able to get. The fence has to be replaced, so will look into it once I replace.


    Big Dreams, Small Gardens sounds interesting, I dont have Netflix or something similar though.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    If you are looking for inspiration for a small rose garden, check out this rooftop Shiuan's rose garden. It is amazing! it is a lot of work, but like everything in life, the greater the effort, the sweeter the reward! Helen



    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • 7 years ago

    Oh. I forgot about that video! Ughhh! Too many beautiful gardens!

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    I got my pomegranate and fig trees from bay laurel nursery, they have a ton of varieties including smaller ones, plus a few roses. You would have to wait till next year though, they ship in January.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • 7 years ago

    Oh wow...that video is insane...I could never accomplish anything like that! Amanda, thanks, I will look up the nursery, not in a hurry, next year will be just fine

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Pictures of the backyard

    Around 25 ft long and 7 feet deep



    Front yard is 10 x10 ft and slopes



    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Backyard in bloom





    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • 7 years ago

    Roses shown:

    Summer romance, Bolero, Julia Child, Florentina with geranium Rozanne.

    Soul sister with penstemon Mesa.

    Plum perfect, Poseidon, Munsted wood.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • 7 years ago

    Modest, your space looks amazing. Appreciate the pictures, thanks a lot!

  • 7 years ago

    Modest, your garden is just beautiful! I too have a seven foot wide bed in the back but I am not sure of the length. Nice to know there is someone else out there with similar growing (space wise) conditions. Just gorgeous! I would have never have known that you had a small space as well. Thank you Rekha for this thread. It is a delight to hear and see what others are doing with their tiny spaces.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    Big dreams small gardens is a BBC show staring Monty Don so you mimight be able to find it elsewhere

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • 7 years ago

    Modest, thank you for posting those pics of you lovely space, especially the winter ones. One thing to remember is that most everyone has small areas even in a large property..... side yards, areas by the drive or front walkway, and all these ideas really help serve as inspiration for otherwise neglected areas. I have a fair amount of land for being technically within the city limits, but on different levels so each area has to be treated on its own and I'm even planning on separating one area to form a sort of "room". Seeing how you all approach your smaller spaces helps guide my thoughts! Keep 'em coming!; )

  • 7 years ago

    Big Dreams, Small Gardens is on Youtube. :-)

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I think the promos are on Youtube. You have to pay for the Inside/Outside Channel to see them, unfortunately. I have been enjoying Love Your Garden on Youtube. Have your hankies ready for that one!

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 7 years ago

    The gardenias are starting to bloom, this is the small space to the front right of the house by the driveway. There are 3. camellias to the right that are not in the picture, I was focused on the gardenias. They are the dwarf variety, Radicans.




  • 7 years ago

    Nicely done, Rekha! I have a feeling some roses would also grow and bloom in that gardenia area. Some of my roses get very little sun, because I have a small yard, too. I make full use of my little space, and I use big pots all around the yard and patio. They just need lots of watering.

    I’m running late, so I don’t have time to take any pictures, but it’s amazing how many roses and other plants I’ve managed to squeeze in. You can, too! Lilyfinch just started a post this morning about her visit here, yesterday. She posted some photos (one I’m thinking of, in particular), that show how many roses and other plants I have squeezed in a very narrow but long, raised bed against the cedar fence. I really pack things in. Lol. Lisa

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Lisa Adams
  • 7 years ago

    Lisa, I have been drooling over pictures of your garden. To my untrained eyes, it looks like a huge area!


    For the past couple of years, I have been working the structure of the yard and the front which is a bit more formal. now comes the squeeze in more part! I had started a post about roses that do well with less shade to try and add a couple to this bed, there is a small wall to the left part that gets a bit of sun. I put in Lady of the lake and am very pleased so far. I am also looking for a fragrant thornless climber that i can plant closer to the house that i can train over the dining room windows.


    Your garden is an inspiration!

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with the pots and growing vertically on trellis and obelisks. I have a small garden and a that is what I do.

    Also create hidden views with plantings, shrubs or screens or paths where everything is not visible all at once. Forces you to walk through the garden to discover its secrets.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    Cover all boundary fences with foliage using upright shrubs, climbing roses or clematis etc. It makes the space seem bigger if you dont see were the garden ends.

    Where does this dry river bed go? If the brain does no see the end of a river, path or pond it assumes it goes on. Actually after the dry river bed wraps around this red maple it just ends in a hidden rain garden near the back gate where Lady of Shallot is.

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    Also tall ornamental grasses can be used to create hidden views.

    Also pick plants and varieties with delicate small foliage to make the space look larger rather than plants with giant leaves. Koto no ito japanese maple and Justin brouwers boxwood have smaller thinner foliage than other varieties.

  • 7 years ago

    Wow totoro, your garden is incredible. I am limited in the sense that we back into a golf course and cannot plant against the back fence. And nee some lawn space for the kids. But plan to carve or areas to the side corners in curved beds.


    I do like the small spaces and creating individual "gardens" or areas.

  • 7 years ago
    Yes, I know about your rear fence, but what about coverage for your side fences?
    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    There is very little space on the sides, if you look at the sketch i posted earlier, I tried to carve out a bit space to the right of the patio. In the fall we will work on the two corners, one by the fire pit and the other on the other end of the lot. Both side neighbors have large trees etc for privacy, so there is a lot of root competition and shade issues to the sides. for instance we have to keep trimming back the star jasmine on the right fence that the neighbor planted to even have enough space between the pool equipment and fence to walk.


    the two reasonable spaces I see is by the fruit trees and by removing the play set on the left side. Planning on curved beds.




  • 7 years ago
    Sorry to hear about your neighbors overgrowing jasmine, but I am assuming it does drape down and cover your side of the fence somewhat.

    For shady fence with roots, you could consider containers mounted to the fence full of ferns. I have seen DIY ones made from gutters. Also a pot with a shade tolerant clem could be trained laterally.

    Your curved beds will be nice focal points.
    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked totoro z7b Md
Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus