0
a1an

Does Grafted Root Affect Rose Characteristics ?

a1an

I mumbled about this in another thread response but figured I'd start a specific thread on it

Grafted root vs Own Root

If we take the same rose specied planted in the same soil , same sun, same water, etc

How much of the root system affects the rose.

Whether it be cane length, qty of blossom, color, scent.

Be curious is there is a major observable difference just short of = grafted=headstart on bigger root system

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Yes there is a marked difference in some roses. For example, my Sonia rykiel own root just isn’t vigorous. It tries but dosnt have the oomph in my zone. Sue in New Orleans has it grafted and is thrilled with it .

Eden is my biggest thorn in my side. I have it own root , going on 5 years old . Pitiful thing with one climbing cane and maybe 4 or 5 little ones. I complain every spring about it ! This year I ordered one from palantine. If that isn’t the trick , I don’t know what is ! :)

• a1an

There was another thread I could start. Granted soil, sun water and lotsa elements may effect one's experience with a rose than another.

I swear, searching old threads on GW for rose experience. For every positive I can find, I will always find a negative post as well. I was looking up Olivia, PAOK, Charles Darwin, the list goes on. I find good reviews and negatives as well. Gosh, makes deciding hard

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Well what would you specifically like to know ? Maybe we can help you decide. But yes, sometimes it is just luck and different conditions!

• a1an

Heh. Want vs. need. Just thinking about adding any ~extras~ I should before my DA order ships any moment now...what extras I end up ordering, they will be in pots until I expand or find a new spot/spots ;-0

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

I really have loved my olivia and would recommend that ! Mine are all going in pots too . I always read up on roses but if I like something there’s a good chance I’ll try it no matter what the reviews say . ( like Sonia rykiel !)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

a1an, remind us where you are. This can be added to your name on here. That will allow people to help you more. Not just zone, but State really helps. Are you Long Island, NY? That will really help. Plants will grow for you more like others in your area report. You learn to look at the postings from people in proximity to you. You will enjoy other posts, but eventually realize they don't apply to you in a different location as far as different varieties go. Out West here in the dry summer, blackspot is not much of a problem. In the East or mid Atlantic it is more of a problem. Every area has roses that do well. They are just different varieties than those in different climates. That is why the comments are all over the place. The people are all over the map.

• a1an

Yes, LI. The location has always been in my profile.

10-4 on the growing characteristics based on location and ones' experience. Location aside, I'm sure it can also vary widely on the siting, etc. Kinda like soap. You can go 2 miles over to the next town, and ones experience with soap may be completely different than anothers, simply due to the interaction of the water differences

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    I'm no expert on grafted or non grafted roses. I really don't bother worring about it. What I think is more important is buying plants that you love & making them work in your yard. Some roses are just better than others in each location as others have said. Siting, soil, water & disease resistance are very important. After reading a million posts on different roses here & there; it just gets confusing and overwhelming. They are just plants, keep it simple. As others have posted time and again, one kind of rose may be wonderful in one area & a dud elsewhere. Also, sometimes you get a dud of a rose & try it again and it's great. I had an Abraham Darby that grew like crazy, giant canes in one season, never bloomed. Gave it 2 years, no improvements. Dug it out, bought another one & it bloomed right away. If I had of reviewed just the first one without trying again - I would have sworn it was an awful rose here. It's obviously not. I love Austin roses, many are doing really well for me & a few are kind of puny. I'm willing to give a season or two, but I also would replace with the same one to see if it's the individual plants issue. I also have a lot of different roses and many perennials, this helps to keep my mind from focusing on just the performance of one plant. I don't have time to fuss over just one thing.
  • henry_kuska

Let Nature decide. Buy a grafted rose. Cut off a cane and start a new rose with the cutting next to the original. Keep the stronger grower.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Good luck, a1an. Your location does not show on my computer.

• a1an

Henry -

Indeed that is the plan. TBD on when I take a cutting though. Like all shrubs, year 1 is crawl, year 2 is walk and year 3 is like Jump . But I do plan to take a cutting and observe the difference in cane bushiness-development-footprint. Like most things gardening, these things can't be rushed....

I would say Gardening has tested my patience or taught me patience. All the same I suppose ;-)

• a1an

Hallo -

I hear ya post loud in clear. Bearing my last post, it's more like a 3 year *settle in an decide period* , like most shrubs before one makes a judgement call. Ha, call it my OCD. I just wanna go all in on roses (and of course tweak and add more on the next years plantings if I like it) cross off the next task on the never ending honey to-do list and just move on.