0

Newbie Question Own-root Roses

jjkoc

Is it possible for root-stock to sprout from an own-root rose?

I have a an own-root St. Cecelia from RU and it recently spouted a growth from the base that looks different from it.

Do I leave it alone or break it off? What do I do? Thank you for your expert thoughts!

In the comments I posted a pic of the base where it’s sprouting.

• jjkoc

Here’s a picture of the base where it’s sprouting up!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

That is great new growth from an own root rose! Don't cut it. Good for you, it looks great.

jjkoc thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Sometimes new growth is vigorous and blush/redder colored. It looks happy :)

If it is an own root, then it can't be from a 'root stock' due to it not being grafted onto anything. It should be from the roots of the original plant. It would be putting up a new basal cane from the base. Dont break it off.

jjkoc thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • jjkoc

Great Thank you!!! So glad that I asked!

• stillanntn6b

Remember the leaves it came with were grown through winter in a heated polyhouse. What is coming up now is a strong new cane fueled by the strength of the roots that grew through winter.

jjkoc thanked stillanntn6b
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

That’s a happy rose! Great job! :-)

jjkoc thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • jjkoc

Thanks everybody! We’ve had an unusual amount of rain this winter and colder than typical for my area. I think the English roses are enjoying this cold wet weather!

• R pnwz8a

Own roots!! Own shoots!! Congratulations!!!