0

Cabinet Moulding help

Carolyn

We just put in a white shaker door kitchen, with caeserstone Calcutta nuvo. We're using a 4x10 white tile - subway - for backsplash. Debating between flat molding or crown molding. What do you think goes better? We don't have crown molding in the rest of our house, which is why I'm leaning towards flat, but dont' know if that's too plain or not. We also have soffits we're working around throughout the kitchen. Thanks for the help!

• tqtqtbw

Pictures?

Could you post some pics I am having a hard time with soffits and crown

• Matt
    A rectangular or 1x crown works best with shaker doors IMO. If you wanted detail you could do 2 or 3 layers of rectangular changing width and thickness for a step profile.
  • Matt

similar to this

Lion Windows and Doors

Here's a really good guide that might help you decide: Ceiling Molding

Uhrich Design

It sounds as if you are interested in a rather contemporary style. If the rest of the kitchen (& house) is going to be clean-lined, I would go with flat. If the home is traditional in other areas, use a crown.

Below are two different client homes, one is a 1970's mid-century that wanted a modern looking kitchen. We went with a flat top cap on it. The next is a couple that wanted a contemporary kitchen with a traditional vibe, we used a crown molding. What is the aesthetic of your kitchen?

Whatever you decide, I hope you love it!

Enjoy many happy meals!

• badgergal

I don’t have white cabinets but I do have shaker style cabinet doors with a flat step crown molding. I do not have crown molding anywhere in my house and I was looking to keep the cabinet crown simple and clean lined. I don’t think it looks too plain. Here’s a couple closeup pics and the overall view. Hope they help you visualize how yours might look.

• Carolyn

Thanks all! Here are some in progress picture taken last week before the countertops went in.

• cpartist

Here's my molding with shaker doors. Very simple.

• carisue82
    We have contemporary and modern taste but the house was built in the 60’s and it’s overall not a modern house. As we make updates they’re more modern but if anything the house is mid century modern-ish. Just can’t decide what will look best
  • daisychain01

Definitely a plain trim for your space. Something similar to badgergal or cpartist would be perfect in your space. Anything more will look off in your beautiful kitchen.

Creative Design Cabinetry

I mostly do a flat molding with shaker style.

The Kitchen Place

coved crown, simple.... not too modern......not too traditional