0
posierosie_zone7a__

Post your 2019 Spring bulb pictures here!

posierosie_zone7a

Spread the joy and cheer of your Sprong bulbs! I know zone 8 is already chugging along and zone 7 is right behind them!

• mazerolm_3a

I love the striped ones as well!!

posierosie_zone7a thanked mazerolm_3a
  • biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)

I got a little surprise white volunteer this year!

• Jenn
    So glad to find this thread. I had just started one on the perennials forum because I was sure there had to be flowers blooming, but I hadn't seen many photos - then I found all these lovely inspiring shots. I know the hellebore isn't a bulb, but there are still so few blooms in my garden I figured it could be included. These are the very earliest of my bulbs to bloom - they all beat the crocus. Of course, thanks to the chipmunks, I only found about 20 crocus from the 275 I planted, but hopefully the few that survived will bloom in the next few days. The snowdrops also had a disappointing start, but there are hundreds of daffodils scattered around the woodland area of the garden and they will be blooming soon. This little tete a tete is just the first of many. The iris reticulata just started yesterday. This is a very new section of my gardens, so I am happy with any bloom.

posierosie_zone7a thanked Jenn
  • posierosie_zone7a

Biondanonima, lots of happy surprises! I mostly get crocuses removed rather than planted for me!

Jenn, welcome to the thread! Beautiful pictures! The snowdrops look so natural with the rocks, moss and leaves.

There's usually a Spring post going in Perrenials by this time. I wonder if someone needs to start one there?

• Dan (zone 5b)

I know this is supposed to be a cheerful thread, but some critter bit my crocuses down to the ground :(

is there a chance that the crocus will recover or come back next year (Some foliage was left...but not enough).

posierosie_zone7a thanked Dan (zone 5b)
  • posierosie_zone7a

Hi Dan, no problem. I have real challenges with crocuses and critters. In my observation, they will send new leaves after being chomped and if those aren't protected from being eaten yet again, they will weaken over time.

If the crocuses are all in the same area and you want to expend the energy, various sprays for deer and rabbits exist that can protect the second growth. You can also physically cover with netting or some type of physical barrier. Hope this helps!

• mazerolm_3a

Hi Dan, I’ve sprinkled blood meal and bone meal around my tulips for the past 3 years, and it has worked well. They’re on the edge of a wooded area, and if I didn‘t do this while there is still snow, they would all get eaten up. Hope this helps!

posierosie_zone7a thanked mazerolm_3a
  • maylingsmom

Dan (zone 5b) Some critter ate my Cloth of Gold down to the ground & they did not send up more foliage.

posierosie_zone7a thanked maylingsmom
  • Jenn
    Someone bit some of mine Tuesday and this is how they look today. Definitely worse for wear, but hanging in there.

posierosie_zone7a thanked Jenn
  • dreamr

So great to see all these blooms! With our typically fluctuating temps a lot has come and gone . . .

The late darks are still to come though, and the rest of the garden awakens :)

posierosie_zone7a thanked dreamr
  • posierosie_zone7a

Jenn, even a bit tattered your crocus are cheerful.

Dreamr, love your colorful combinations! I'm inspired and thinking I need to start some pansies next year as companions.

The first wave of daffodils is going on the fence garden. I added some yellows on my neighbor's property (brick wall) and....those are being pulled and replaced next year. I'm just not a fan of the tall yellow trumpets.

There's later wave of split corona daffodils. They are planted in rough alternation.

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

I always like your daffodils! Such a pretty touch of spring along your fence. I bet neighbors that pass by look forward to seeing them, too.

posierosie_zone7a thanked sandyslopes z5b n. UT
  • maylingsmom

Summer snowflakes only have a few blooms left. This pic was taken about a month ago I think. I got my original clump from my mom about 40 years ago give or take a few years. We had them at our previous home & then moved them when we moved to this home. We have spread them all over here but plan to divide & spread

more.

posierosie_zone7a thanked maylingsmom
  • maylingsmom

Pic was there when I clicked submit. Don't know what happened.

posierosie_zone7a thanked maylingsmom
  • posierosie_zone7a

Thank you SS! I believe people do enjoy and I am lucky to be in a neighborhood of gardeners so I get to enjoy others as well.

Maylingsmom, please try again! I got some summer snowflakes in a swap and I can't find them. Do they look like daffodils at first?

• maylingsmom
    posierosie_zone7a(7a) Looks like 3rd time is the charm.

posierosie_zone7a thanked maylingsmom
  • posierosie_zone7a

Yes indeed and definitely worth the wait! I wish I knew where I put mine.....

• Dan (zone 5b)
    As each day passes, my garden becomes more and more colorful

posierosie_zone7a thanked Dan (zone 5b)
  • Jenn

A few more bulbs are in bloom, but as usual, my yard is the pokey little puppy of the neighborhood. Lots of buds, still waiting on blooms. But hopefully that means the bulbs will put on the best show for my Easter company.

posierosie_zone7a thanked Jenn
  • posierosie_zone7a

Beautiful pictures everyone! I can title this point as "Waiting".

I still have double snowdrops still hanging around, but the crocus are over. The gradient of heat/sun in my yard is highlighted by Tete a Tete blooming farther away from the house while the ones near the foundation are completely done.

The mid/early daffodils are blooming and my fence garden is likely at full display.

What am I waiting for? My favorite old fashioned bleeding hearts are coming up. I love how they push out flowers wit's the foliage as if they are just as impatient as I am for good weather.

Fritts are coming up. "Persica" look good with half displaying buds and others choosing to split and put energy into multiplying. I'm interested in seeing when the split bulbs bulk enough to bloom.

I have erythronium showing the first flower (increased well after last year) and smaller Frittsin bud.

Oh look, I found the leucojum! Just starting....

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

I’m getting so many good ideas! Beautiful pictures, everyone!

This was an area we just redid last year:

Replete daffodil

White Emporer and what’s left of the primroses

Mystic van Ejik - it has since faded to a lovely coral color

Tiny little mini daffs

I don’t know the name on these. They were here and we moved in, but they’re so cheery! Any ID?

posierosie_zone7a thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
  • posierosie_zone7a

They look great! Your Spring seems on the same schedule as mine although we are different zones. I don't know the name for your last one, but I have similar ones and I agree they are quite good looking!

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)

I'm jealous of all you zone 6 and 7s that are so much farther along than I am! Crocuses are done here but all of my tulips, daffodils, muscari and hyacinths are still just barely budding, with one or two over-eager exceptions.

posierosie_zone7a thanked biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
  • posierosie_zone7a

Oh, you are so close though! It seems your flowering progression is more drawn out? I had daffodils and crocus blooming at the same time although I planted early varieties of daffodils

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

I usually add a few new bulbs each year, but for the most part these are all bulbs I've shown before. I hope no one is tired of seeing them. :-)

Puschkinia

Chionodoxa

I thought I was buying the same kind of Chionodoxa going by the picture on the bag I bought at Lowes, but they turned out completely different.

Crocus in lawn. By the time the grass gets going, these are long gone and don't mind being mowed.

Scilla

My earliest tulips....

• maylingsmom

Two or three Thalia are still blooming

but otherwise early bulb season is over here in zone 8b. However, my Byzantine Gladiolus is now blooming.

posierosie_zone7a thanked maylingsmom
  • KarenPA_6b

Wow, your spring bulbs are wonderful! Love all the beautiful colors and flowers that are grown in everyone's gardens!

Sandy, your pink NOID bulbs flowers are prettier than the Chionodoxa.

Dilly, I really like the fading color of your Mystic van Ejik. I love this color class and may look to add this to my garden this fall.

Posierosie, do you know the name of the clump of double whited daffs that you posted above? Were they all yellow and faded to this white? They are so pretty.

Maylingsmom, it is going to be awhile before i see my byzantine glads so glad to see a preview from yours.

I am still in the early spring stage, I think.

Pink Charm

Wiseley - a new addition last fall

Blue anemone

Blue French hyacinthes

posierosie_zone7a thanked KarenPA_6b
  • slimwhitman

Today in KC

posierosie_zone7a thanked slimwhitman
  • KarenPA_6b

Wow, beautiful! Love the masses of daffodils and colors!

posierosie_zone7a thanked KarenPA_6b
  • Jenn
    And then, quite suddenly, everything burst into flower.

posierosie_zone7a thanked Jenn
  • posierosie_zone7a

Wow, so many great pictures!

Karen, the white doubles are Ice King which is a double of Ice Follies. Middle starts lemon yellow and fades to white. I really enjoy them. :)

We've had sustained warm weather and things are roaring along.

Pink daffodil mix at the back back of the garden.

Erythronium "pagoda" is doing very well second year

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

Maylingsmom, your byzantine glads are such a pretty color.

Karen, I really like your Pink Charm daffodils. And, yes, those pink Chionodoxa? have been a nice surprise. I hope they multiply.

slimwhitman, looking good!

Jenn, when spring hits it's amazing how quickly everything grows and blooms. I see you have a hosta already leafing out, too.

posierosie, you and Karen are making me want to try pink daffs again for something different than the yellows.

I hope my daffodils will hold off blooming until these storms move through. Rain, wind, snow, and hail are not kind.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)

Finally, a couple blooms to share!

• KarenPA_6b

Thanks Sandy. I hope you can add the pink daffs to your garden. They are my favorites this time of year.

THanks Posierosie! I will look to add Ice King this year. I love Ice Follies very much - the double version will be twice the pleasure for sure! :)

Jenn, LOVE your collage of spring bulb flowers! Beautiful work!

posierosie_zone7a thanked KarenPA_6b
  • posierosie_zone7a

Biondanonima, I bet it smells great with the hyacinths! Welcome Spring!

SS, come to the dark side with the pinks! They are cute and soothing. I've been wanting to try "Martha Stewart" from the photos, but seriously don't need more daffodils!

Please forgive me for posting so many pictures. Obv, I have way too much Spring enthusiasm and cannot stop from over sharing.

The white daffodils are giving way at the fence garden for these.

Tahiti is just a gorgeous double with great upright form

And, lastly, I cannot be certain what this is as I have no memory purchasing nor do I have receipts. Possibly Fritillaria uva-vulpis. Looking at the foliage at the base, it might be planning world domination. That's okay with me.

• posierosie_zone7a

Karen, we posted at the same time. :). I find Ice King to be variable in the degree doubling with a few reverting to the single. Still a very nice daffodil and nice early blooms. I think my picture is pretty representative of the variation.

• harold100
    Springtime in Virginia. And the Asiatic lilies are coming along nicely too.

posierosie_zone7a thanked harold100
  • posierosie_zone7a

Harold, the tulips look great! We are on the same schedule and the tulips are out as well.

I have a feeling that Spring has sprung and everyone is super active in the garden. Snap a picture or two and share!

I got the wrong order last year and these cuties were included.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)

My favorite addition to my garden this year - the deep purple is so intense:

I can't plant tulips in my backyard due to deer, but they seem to leave daffs and hyacinth alone. Muscari too, although as you can see those are just now starting to bud. I have tulips in the front that are coming right along. It's finally spring!

• posierosie_zone7a

They look great! It's nice to see what we've previewed filled out.

• Dan (zone 5b)

After the horrid snowstorm we had Sunday, things are finally starting to look like spring

^ $1 violet that survived winter
    ^ I think I see a bud :D

posierosie_zone7a thanked Dan (zone 5b)
  • Jenn

A few more photos from my garden...

The grape hyacinths are just starting to take off, and perennials are starting to try and supplant bulbs in spots, but I still have tulips coming. (Do NOT tell the deer!)

posierosie_zone7a thanked Jenn
  • Madreselva

I know these are tulips, muscar, and narcissus, but that is all! I wish I had more specific information. I planted in October and can’t find my gardening journal . . . But here they are in all their spring glory:

posierosie_zone7a thanked Madreselva
  • Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

New this week (I know some of these aren’t really bulbs, but they brighten up the spring early enough to count!)

Tulips and muscari

One of my absolute favorites: Brunnera

Bleeding heart

Thalia daffodil, a lovely late fragrant variety

A mini daff

An accidental mix, as they were supposed to be ‘Angelique’ and ‘Ronaldo’, but they turned out super pretty anyway

Love the chartreuse of golden oregano oregano with the hot pink of the phlox! I think it really helps it “pop”

The lovely foliage of Allium Karataviense

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)

I’m loving everyone’s photos! So many pretties this time of year! I get all sorts of good ideas. You all come up with such lovely combinations.

• harold100

This just bloomed yesterday here in southside Virginia. Can anyone tell me what it is? It looks like a ranunculus but I planted some of them three feet away and they are shown in the third photo. The basil leaves are nothing similar.

posierosie_zone7a thanked harold100
  • mazerolm_3a

I keep coming back to this thread and look at pictures to cheer myself up! We’re supposed to get a lot of rain in the next few days, so hopefully I’ll be able to post pictures of my spring bulbs at the end of May. This is my front yard, as of today. There’s less snow where the spireas are located because I shoveled it.

posierosie_zone7a thanked mazerolm_3a
  • posierosie_zone7a

Mazerolm, I also enjoy scrolling back and seeing everyone's photos! We have some talented gardeners with amazing Spring gardens here! When does your Spring usually start? Surely soon?

It's wonderful to see new posters as well as old friends! Keep the pictures coming!

My bulb season is almost over here....:(. The perennials are filling in and soon it will be "controlled" chaos.

I already miss the neat and tidy early Spring garden although it is still here for maybe a week or so. Here's a garden shot.

Pretend you can't see the string. It's to keep my dog from tearing up the plants.

• KarenPA_6b

Wow, beautiful blooms! Just great colors and fantastic showings, everybody!

Harold, that is a gorgeous ranunculus! I tried growing these but were never successful! They never bloomed.

Posierosie, you are really farther along than me. Your bleeding hearts are blooming! Mine has only 3" of growth.

Mazerolm, sorry to see your weather has not improved yet. Hopefully spring will make its appearance in your area soon.

posierosie_zone7a thanked KarenPA_6b
  • maylingsmom

harold100 as Karen said that is ranunculus. We found one in bloom on the hill 2 weeks ago. Since I tend to pour out old container dirt up there, I think that is where it came from.

posierosie_zone7a thanked maylingsmom