Software
Houzz Logo Print
meg81611

Help me design my Colorado condo! I need major assistance!

7 years ago

We purchased a condo in October that needs huge cosmetic updates. We want to change everything. And I cannot make decisions!


We are doing a natural, light vinyl floor. It is 900 sq. ft. so we need to do something light. I do not like white cabinets and am thinking either a darker brown or some shade of grey. I think we like BM Chantilly Lace for the whole place.


I do want the counters and backsplash materials to be used on the fireplace as well as to tie it all together. The cabinets will be replaced with the same size cabinets that are there now - I want to keep costs down as much as possible.


I am stuck on the cabinet color. I am stuck on the countertops because whatever we use for the counter will most likely be the material we use for the fireplace hearth. I am stuck on the backsplash which will also be used around the fireplace. I am thinking some sort of white-ish counter and a complimenting lighter (or white) backsplash. Something very simple.


Also considering a natural wood mantel that matches the floors.


Also - orange peel walls. Those have to go, right?


Help! Photos of the sad state of the condo....





Comments (17)

  • 7 years ago

    This is not a large area so I don't like the two floorings although I know this was not your choice. I don't get why you think flooring must be light.

    Cabinets in SW Worldy Gray will be light but not white. Since you mention budget is it possible you can just paint the current cabinets?

    If you plan on white walls almost anything will work for the fireplace.

  • 7 years ago

    Are you demo-ing the fireplace? I don't mind the fireplace actually. Looks like it might just need a good cleaning. If you are on a budget I would use it as inspiration for the rest of your condo. I would paint the cabinets a light colour since your kitchen is far away from the windows and natural lighting will always be an issue (personally I would go with white). Put all your money into good flooring, something better than vinyl. Good flooring will last almost forever and will help with resale. Your big chunky furniture is making your space look small. Eventually replace with more appropriate condo size furniture.

    Meg P thanked Brown Dog
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    You need to hire a designer. And check your scope. Multi family homes require licensed and insured contractors. This isn’t a DIY job for either design or build.

  • 7 years ago

    GreenDesign, its just 1 condo. We have a contractor for the fireplace. I will message you about design services :)

  • 7 years ago

    Brown Dog - the furniture has been replaced. I do not have any new photos with less awful furniture. As far as the flooring, it will be a rental in a ski in/ski out. I am imagining ski boots on the floors. We are def getting rid of the fireplace. We have hired someone to do that but i need to give him an idea of what I would like.


    Thank you for the response!

  • 7 years ago

    Brown Dog - the furniture has been replaced. I do not have any new photos with less awful furniture. As far as the flooring, it will be a rental in a ski in/ski out. I am imagining ski boots on the floors. We are def getting rid of the fireplace. We have hired someone to do that but i need to give him an idea of what I would like.


    Thank you for the response!

  • 7 years ago
    Hi Megan! I’m going to echo Brown Dog’s suggestion to reconsider demo-ing the condo fireplace (unless there is a problem with it’s condition). The fireplace adds a lot of mountain character. As an owner of a Colorado ski rental I can share that most renters (esp from out of state) want a place to be modern/updated, but still feel like it is in Colorado. A word of caution - while I would avoid “mountain kitsch”, be sure you don’t end up with a condo that feels like an urban loft or a ubiquitous gray-white-MCM suburban apartment. The stone fireplace might be a great feature to design a “mountain modern” condo!
    Meg P thanked Laura Hill
  • 7 years ago

    Laura - Thank you! I think you make a great point about the white-gray. My original thought was dark brown cabinets with everything else lighter. I need to think about the fireplace...

  • 7 years ago

    Why would you get rid of a fireplace? That makes no sense. Neither do dark brown cabinets.

    You really need a designer.

  • 7 years ago

    Please don't turn it into an HGTV wannabe. It's not and it will devalue it if and when you go to sell. Anything trendy is not what you want to do which is why we recommend you work with a designer.

  • 7 years ago

    live_wire_oak we are got getting rid of it - just the rocks. Sorry, not clear. The rocks are so so big and the place is so small. We want a fire place that is a great focal point and doesnt seem so bulky. What do you think instead of brown?


    This is 100% an investment property so I do not really have my heard set on anything.

  • 7 years ago

    cpartist - def will not be an HGTV episode! This is an investment property and do not want to dump a ton of $ into this place right now. We will not do trendy either. I guess my style is pottery barn on an ikea budget :)

  • 7 years ago

    When you say you are doing a light, natural floor - are you talking about a wood-look light colored floor to cover the whole space? I think that is a good idea, and warm colors are trending again. Pale, washed oak (sometimes cerused) and aged pine are really pretty and there are good options in LVT in these looks.


    The fireplace - is it wood or gas? Any chance it is super dark due to soot accumulation? I don't know how to clean it, but I bet it is worth a try. Now ... if it is an obviously faux stone that looks like what a 3rd grader made with old clay ... then revamping it is a good idea. I think using the SAME material as the kitchen counters might be too contemporary looking. What about a handmade tile that echoes the backsplash in the kitchen?

  • 7 years ago

    Pam - i think the vinyl is natural oak. It is cali bamboo so not cheap looking. Aged pine would be perfect as well. It would run through the whole home except for the bathrooms.


    Fireplace - its supposedly both. We have someone taking care of the actual fireplace next week and getting it working again. I am not sure if its faux stones. I think it dates the place as its original from 1973.


    Good thought on the tile. Yes, we can get handmade tile.


    I do want the hearth to be flush with the floor as we have small kids that are disasters on the raised hearth. We are trying to make this place as baby friendly as possible so flush to the floor is more function than design.

  • 7 years ago

    The original river rock, if that is what it is, is a perfect and appropriate choice for a ski condo. You need to stop before you cost yourself a lot of money making changes that don't need to be made.

  • 7 years ago

    live_wire_oak whatever it is, it is too big for the space. Maybe in a bigger condo but ours is just too small. We did consult a designer for the fireplace and she agrees that has to go but I do not know what to replace it with - my kitchen choices will help her help me with the fireplace design ultimately.