Software
Houzz Logo Print
ehanders

Can I use different hardwood in kitchen than adjoining rooms?

7 years ago

I have medium brown stained hickory hardwood floors in my entire first floor with the exception of the kitchen. We are getting ready to remodel the kitchen and I am at a standstill because I can’t make a decision about the floor. I don’t want to use the same wood because it is very hard and I know it would be very uncomfortable to stand on for long periods of time. Also, unfortunately the kitchen doesn’t have much natural light. I would prefer to have a lighter color floor. I don’t want to use ceramic tile. I currently have LVT in the kitchen but not sure if that is an ok option anymore.

I would love any opinions or advice if you can use a different hardwood or hardwood look product or any other ideas you may have.

Comments (25)

  • 7 years ago

    Why wouldn’t LVT be an option anymore? Personally, I would not put a different hardwood next to your current wood.

    ehanders thanked 2pups4me
  • 7 years ago

    No.

    ehanders thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    That was my opinion. it was suggested to us at a kitchen remodeling store we could use a lighter engineered hardwood that had shades of light gray & the medium brown of our current hardwood. It sounded strange to us. Any advice on a good LVT that is a good quality ? I would appreciate any advice

  • 7 years ago

    The stone look is a great idea! Any suggestions on a specific product?

  • 7 years ago

    Check out The Elements of Style Blog an du the kitchen she just did. They used a different wood with the same stain and laid it in a herringbone pattern and it worked out wonderfully. I can’t post link s from my ancient iPad. It’s a very recent post,

    ehanders thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 7 years ago

    I have the same situation. We went with vinyl tile that looks like marble. It is in tones that match the wood in the rest of the house. Looks good. Fake wood is OK next to real wood though, IMHO, as long as they are laid differently so one does not look like it is supposed to be an extension of the other and is failing. Depends on how big the opening is between the two finishes. I work in an office that has fake wood in the great room and kitchen and real wood in the offices and hallway, but there is a curved doorway between them and they are different widths and laid going in different directions.

    IMHO, nothing beats REAL wood-resin linoleum, but it is pricey and hard to find. I would have done that in a heartbeat if it had been up to me when the flooring was put in. It is fabulous on the feet and wears really well.

    ehanders thanked l pinkmountain
  • 7 years ago

    Wow - love the ideas! Thank you so much. Will look into those options.

  • 7 years ago

    A not-wood looks is possible, just fewer options in LVT (most patterns are wood, but there are stone/tile/metal looks out there).


    Shaw Floorte has a couple, Mannington Adura has a couple, and there is something called Engineered Tile that could be another option. CoreTec is a brand to check as well.


    Good luck!

    ehanders thanked Pam A
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for giving me product information to check out. That’s a big help!

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for posting the links. Will definitely check them out. Appreciate the help!

  • 7 years ago

    What about cork flooring?

    ehanders thanked chocolatebunny123
  • 7 years ago

    I don’t know anything about cork flooring. Does it compare to LVT in terms of wearability? Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check out that option !

  • 7 years ago
    Any have picture of lvp up against real wood. The thread only has that one photo. Was hoping other people have done it.
  • 7 years ago

    I would like to see that too

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I will take a photo of my office which has LVP against hardwood and post. But it may be a while, when I get a chance. Maybe some others here have better examples. I wondered about cork too. Not sure about in a kitchen. My brother laid it himself in his apt. it was a lot of work and not too easy. It has to be sealed. I've never seen it but I did work in a place that had real linoleum. That was fabulous. Soft, quiet, colorful and durable. It's pricey but for just the kitchen, would probably not break the bank. I'm not sure how easy it is to come by though. This place where I worked was a big office in a big city so their ability to find it and get it installed might be different than someone living out in the boondocks.

    Here's a photo of my faux marble tiles. They are a plastic resin of some sort. It's not a good photo, I didn't take it to show how the wood and marble-look stuff went together, but it does show some of the many options that are out there. They had this marble-look stuff in many color variations. Ignore the hideous blue carpet, it is on its way out. I'm going through the same dilemma as you about replacing it, which is why I clicked on your post. I really like the tile, we have it in our kitchen and entry way. It has a similar feel to real linoleum.



    ehanders thanked l pinkmountain
  • 7 years ago

    Sheet vinyl - I know, I know....if you had said that to me a short time ago I would have laughed, too. But we just built a house & put sheet vinyl in our laundry/mud room area and I love it. Super easy on the feet/legs, super easy to care for, doesn't break the bank so when the time comes to replace it's not like opening up a vein. There are many quality manufactures and within those most have multiple lines of varying quality. We went with Mannington Filigree in pewter. Everyone thinks it's cement tile till they stand on it and feel the slight give. It has a slightly worn appearance in places - even the installers were fooled thinking they had somehow scuffed it during install and thought they'd have to replace it! This pattern may not be your cup of tea but there's a whole world out there of designs.

    ehanders thanked DLM2000-GW
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Short answer is no. Match existing flooring or go with a very different look, just not a wood look tile next to real wood please! :-)

    ehanders thanked Oak & Broad
  • 7 years ago

    Yes to sheet vinyl as being an option. I had it at my last house and you would have sworn it was individual tiles.

    ehanders thanked l pinkmountain
  • 7 years ago

    I really appreciate all of the photos, opinions & suggestions. It sounds like LVT/LVP is the way to go, just not a wood look.

  • 7 years ago

    Sheet vinyl also sounds like a good option! I’ll throw that in the mix too.

  • 7 years ago

    We are in the same boat and I wish I had a good answer for you. We are not considering any vinyl products due to the toxic off-gassing (dioxins, phthalates, etc.). IMO vinyl flooring is the asbestos / lead paint of our era - cheap and effective but with unacceptable health consequences.

  • 7 years ago

    I have a similar issue. Like Isaac, I'm concerned about the environmental issues with vinyl (off-gassing, high VOCs in my house + impact on environment during production). I'm considering either tile or marmoleum (i..e real linoleum)

  • 7 years ago

    We did cork next to our hardwoods. If you are worried about standing on hard surfaces this is very good for that. We have it at two entrances as well as kitchen and find it very hard wearing. You can also refinish it like hardwoods.

    Ours has a custom white stain on it.