Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_560286763

What to do with this living room?

7 years ago

I was really excited about this oversized Pottery barn sofa I found for cheap but now I don’t know what to do from here. Obviously the room needs more furniture and I have no idea what to pair with it. I would love two oversized chairs with ottomans but haven’t found anything to complement it, the room also feels 90’s to me... what am I doing wrong?


I also want to change the paint in the dining room (contemplating a teal but open to suggestions) and will be painting the trim white. The room also has no overhead lighting...






Comments (43)

  • 7 years ago



  • 7 years ago

    Remove the drapes. Shutters alone would look better. Agree the coffee table is way too heavy for the room. Usually an area rug doesn't sit well on carpet. Tends to buckle, but with that heavy table maybe it won't.

  • 7 years ago

    The carpet is a super flat Berber so it won’t buckle, it’s really firm... dang I just bought the table for quite a bit, it’s an original and antique..

  • 7 years ago

    @housegal thank for the suggestions. I'm really not into modern or any glass (we have 4 little kiddos) and wood is more durable for now.

  • 7 years ago

    Leave the table for now unless you can return it--maybe a credit to get some chairs? Focus on adding art and chairs to make the room cosy, conversational, and interesting. Consider turning the rug the other way so there's more of a view of it.

  • 7 years ago



    Watermark · More Info


    Concord Green Healthy Home - Living Room · More Info


    Beach Cottage Renovation · More Info


    Nicole at home thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Hi. Lot's of potential here. The first thing you need to do is to get the furniture arrangement right.


    I would recommend removing the rug. Rugs feel awkward over carpets and the floor is already chopped up with the carpet and tile.


    If the tile is staying, you need to pull in those colors.


    Can we please see a photo of the one wall you have not shown?

    Will a tv be going in the room?

    If not, what is the function of the space?


    Thanks.

  • 7 years ago


    The room opens to the front door area.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks so much. I'd pull in that pretty tile tone. Will there be a tv in the space? Could we see one more photo of what is too the left of this photo?

  • 7 years ago

    To the left is the dining room shown in the first photos. No tv in this space :)

  • 7 years ago

    The couch Faces the dining room

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Yes. Thanks. I understand that. So, the stairs take up that entire wall?

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I'd leave the sofa where it is, but pull it out from the wall quite a bit. Then, add 2 chairs across from it. You can try a mock-up using your dining chair.

  • 7 years ago

    following

  • 7 years ago

    I would leave the coffee table for now. Technically yes, it is too long for the couch but the size of room can take it and it looks like you have a high ceiling in that room. It also seems to play well with the tile. When you have an open area such as you have it's ok to consider the other areas that are seen as a unit, such as your front entrance, when doing your planning.

    I'm not sold on the area rug because I don't think it works with the tile. I'm not sure if I would leave it while finishing the rest of your purchases or remove it and then finish and then reconsider. I'm thinking that if you want one, a smaller one under the coffee table might work better and maybe include the other colours, including that of the tile, that you wind up with in the room.

    Nicole at home thanked blfenton
  • PRO
    7 years ago


    Laguna Cottage · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    Yes it’s pretry much just stairs and then a small bench under the stairs

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Just a tip....make sure you like any furniture arrangement you choose, before buying furniture.

  • 7 years ago

    Great ideas, Judy. And measure, measure, measure before you order anything new. Keep new pieces up on legs for lightness to balance out the coffee table.

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Nicole,


    Since there won't be a tv in the space I'd suggest moving the sofa to the adjacent wall to it's current location. The wall with the art piece on it, allowing the window to breathe. Two armchairs can either face it on it's opposite side (backs turned to foyer) or you can place two armchairs in front of the window (off the wall) and maybe place a couple of ottomans or a bench across from the sofa. The best arrangement would be best figured out with a proper furniture plan and dimensions of the space in order to seek out correctly scaled furniture pieces. I think you can make your existing two pieces of furniture work with the addition of those suggested items and decor! I offer a couple of affordable design services including a floor plan service that maybe you'd be interested in getting some more one on one assistance. I'd be happy to help! www.hadijarowe.com/services 

  • 7 years ago

    We originally had the sofa on the wall under the art piece but it felt weird there, the room isnt all that wide and it Just felt awkward.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    That is why I suggest the sofa not be placed there. The room is long and narrow. You don’t want a chair placed in the center of the arched opening.I suggest you try moving the sofa forward and place a couple of chairs opposite the sofa.....on the other side of the coffee table. Alternately, you could place the sofa with its back to the dining room and 2 chairs by the window. Getting the arrangement right is very important. Would you mind trying arrangements snd see how you like them? Thanks!
    Nicole at home thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 7 years ago

    I agree that the sofa needs a different placement. Is it possible to float it facing the windows? If so, a pair properly sized armchairs could go in front of the windows. One ottoman would be enough. On the solid wall a low cabinet or credenza topped with art and a lamp or two. The cabinet will come in handy for stashing toys or some of your childrens' favorite books. Behind the sofa would be a good place for an open sofa table. It'll make the view from the dining room a little more interesting.


    I'd stay away from anything oversized.


    I agree that bringing the terracotta into the living area would be good. You've got in the dining room, so let the living room have its share, as well. An area rug that incorporates a bit of the color would work well. For arm chairs, I think you might like something on traditional side.


    Here's the furniture arrangement and an idea on how to incorporate the terracotta.






    Nicole at home thanked Manon Floreat
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    One option that is often used is to, as suggested, place the couch with the back toward the dining room. I'm not sure that it would work here as I think it would act as a wall between the dining area and the living room due to the lack of width in the living room and the way the curved wall width shortens as you transition between the two rooms.

    I don't know that there would be much space to walk from one room to the next if that is done. If the goal is to maintain openness between the two rooms then having a pair of chairs and a table between the two rooms would be better

    If there are outlets along the window wall and if there is space , move the couch forward a bit and put a sofa table between the back of the couch and the window then you could put a table lamp there and some accessories as well.

    ETA - the word " shortens" should actually read "narrows" - that fits better


  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago





    Here is an idea of what your space could look like, as recommended in my first post above. Since your furniture is so traditional, I'd use modern art to bring it to 2019. Not finished, but some beginning ideas. The terra cotta chairs pull in the dining room and flooring. The white pillows pull in the sofa. The art pulls it all together.

    I really think this is your best set up. When you walk in, what you see is that beautiful rounded arch. That needs to be highlighted.

  • 7 years ago

    I just deleted my posting with suggested blue palette, glass table, etc. because the poorly lit photos made it hard to see the earth tones in the floor tiles, which rightfully should determine the palette for art and additional furnishings. No children were mentioned, so I suggested a glass table--not a great idea.

    Dilemma posters who want the most helpful suggestions should include well-lit photos of all four walls, a description of how room is to be used, budget, and furnishings that have to stay, limitations, and so forth.






    Nicole at home thanked housegal200
  • 7 years ago
    following
  • 7 years ago
    I always love Manon’s ideas. She’s brilliant!
    Nicole at home thanked bowser24
  • 7 years ago

    Wow, bowser - that is so kind of you to say! Thank you.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks everyone for the input! I really hate terra-cotta so that color will be leaving in the next couple weeks. I can’t change out the floors right now so I’m just trying to neutralize them for now. The room also desperatly needs lighting which makes it hard to get nice pictures since there is no lighting what so ever other than the one window. I really was hoping to reflect more farmhouse style, my dream living rooms look like this

    Great Room · More Info



    Custom Remodel - Traditional Farmhouse · More Info



    Coastal Family Renovation · More Info


    I may just sell the table and get something smaller as much as I thought I liked it I do see that it is quite large.... would a jute Rug be ok For texture and new blue/brown pillows? Then maybe a cabinet under the art and and a couple of nice arm chairs facing the couch? All my shopping is being done on craigslist / facebook/ garage sales since I’m on a budget so I kind of have to piece together things as I find them. The carpet is a beige hook and loop Berber.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks for the information. I did not know you disliked the terra cotta. Please disregard the work I posted above. I am unclear if the terra cotta is being removed soon? I do not recommend a rug on a carpet.


    If you want a lighter look, as shown above, I would sell the table. You mentioned the room looks dated. So, far the 2 pieces you purchased are very traditional. With the look you are going for, you need some more updated, lighter pieces in the mix and texture.


    When I design for clients, I provide them with a fun, but complete questionnaire that includes all of the information I need to help make decisions. After that, I often have additional questions. That is the first step.


    So, if you want to design for yourself, you need to do this for yourself.


    The next step is to make a mock-up of how you'd like the furniture to be set up. You can do this, using existing furniture. (your sofa and perhaps a couple of dining chairs.


    A good part of the time I spend designing involves math. If a room is not arranged with conversation, foot traffic, other rooms, etc, no amount of decor will make it look good.


    Hope that helps!


    Nicole at home thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 7 years ago

    If you're buying off Craigslist, it's even more important to try what CDR says--determine what you want ahead of time; know your proportions, limitations, functionality of the room; layout, etc. Then don't buy single pieces, even wonderful ones, unless they meet the criteria. Otherwise, you'll have a mish mash.

    Do keep in mind that your current terra cotta floors, which you say you're keeping for now, is a fourth wall that's in the mix whether you want it to be or not. That's why I removed my posting with the blue accents and why CDR suggested the beautiful room he/she did incorporating your floor, style, and palette. You chose traditional pieces, not light ones as in your inspiration photos, including your very dark dining set, the dark coffee table, etc. We're confused.

  • 7 years ago
    Judy, could you tell me where you found the picture you posted above with the walnut frame ?
  • 7 years ago

    I think I need to look out for some lighter pieces then. It will be lighter in the room when I paint the dining room as well. The couch and table are fairly light in person (Again no overhead lights or lamps anywhere in the vicinity makes it hard at the moment). The couch is a light cream (oatmeal linen from pottery barn) and the table is a lighter wood. I will take down the drapes and paint the shutters, currently they are a orangey peach color from the previous home owner and I think that darkens the space as well. I like the idea of planning out the space, I think I can move some things from the other room to get an idea of how to use the room. I also have a sectional in the other living room I have contemplated trading into this room.


    I really appreciate all your input! I wish I could just walk into a store and buy exactly what I want....I have felt that I have a mishmash of stuff because I just see something for a good deal and buy it instead of considering where I’m putting it, I will be more patient and thoughtful going forward!! I will update when it looks better :)

  • 7 years ago

    Hi again, Nicole. Just resist the urge for a deal or even a great piece if it doesn't fit in with your vision of the room. It's like buying a gorgeous blouse on sale that doesn't go with a single thing in your closet. Then it's the opposite of a deal. Good luck!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Anyone who has ever gone Christmas shopping with the "I'll wonder around the store and find some inspiration for what to buy Mom" plan knows what that feels like. (Guilty as charged here). Several hours later, you come home tired and frustrated. Oh......and you either have no gift or you bought a crappy boxed gift set out of sheer desperation.


    That's what it feels like to shop aimlessly for furniture. Now imagine you had a plan: you are looking for a sofa that is x high, x wide and x deep (or is within certain parameters) and is of a particular color and fabric and style. Now you have a plan. You can eliminate all of those that do not fit into that category.


    Much success to you!

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Yes, I will post the link…greatbigcanvas and I chose the walnut frame because I wanted more of the coffee table color in the room…ditto the half round table.


    https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/sunset-horizon-i,2578073/?s=yul4Zf204TxhvPbiAJZb0BjG64P13fr0QnSpSA2EGY31ppcuWU6ZgLNitUcjc3ZU&ref=recent

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks JudyG

  • 7 years ago


    Moved some things around from the other rooms in the house and already feel an improvement with $0 dollars spent!! Still want to find a nice chair or two and some kind of nice cabinet to store things but I feel a lot better. It also helps that the sunlight hits this room in the evening.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    The light is nice and it looks a little cleaner. That is the best place for your sofa, but I would play wiith moving it a little forward.


    I recommend no rug. Your tile is already busy and chopping things up. Your rug is clashing and looks like a tripping hazard. Add texture in the form of pillows. Your pillows don't appear to have texture. Add a throw.


    You can add touches of burnt orange. Ignoring the terra cotta tile will just make it look really out of place. I'd pull it in in subtle ways.


    Finally, I'd take down the circular art, as that doesn't belong. Your inspiration photos look more masculine and earthy. While you see it in photos, it is not practical to put a tall vase of flowers in a furniture setting. You can add a low setting or nothing. Wait until you get your other pieces of furniture in. Then you can add decor.



    Farmhouse Living Room · More Info


    Nicole at home thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, the carpet is more like commercial carpet so it really lays very flat.. I want a rug because it feels nice on the feet than the tight looped berber we have. Im keeping my eye out for different art and definitely need some more pieces but for now this is an improvement.

  • 7 years ago

    I cant wait until we can do wood floors throughout and get rid of the saltillo, I think it will be so much easier to attain the feel I want when change the floors, the carpet will go too. Wood floors are about 2 years out right now.