Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klilika

Help design level entry for wheelchair access at front door

klilika
4 years ago

This is the entrance to our home, with two sidewalks on a sloped lot (steeper than it appears) that join at the front door where there is one small step up to a landing then one small step up into the home. An aluminum ramp was installed for wheelchair access as a "temporary" measure 4 years ago. Now it's time to remove the ugly ramp and do something permanent. It is desirable to make it work with BOTH sidewalks and but could have a step down to the sidewalk heading to the left of the photo. If wider could do without railing on one side.

Open to various materials but hope to blend it with the current look somehow. Where do I start? What type of professional do I search for to design/build?

Thanks in advance for advice!!

Comments (9)

• klilika
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks - Yes the VA installed this ramp and we've been grateful for it. :-) But now we are hoping to have something that is more aesthetically pleasing (and expensive/self paid). I will see about home health recommendations.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    I would contact local driveway contractor. They can lay out new walkway segment on proper incline and treat surface for good traction and drainage. If some one is walking, you will need side rails. A good contractor will know current ADA requirements.
    klilika thanked Flo Mangan
  • Moxie
    4 years ago

I'd consider landscape architects who are especially interested in the hard-scape aspects of design. In a city neighborhood near me, there's a small house and yard that handled the issue beautifully. The walk from the street divides. Straight ahead, the walk continues level to a couple of steps up to a porch that is perhaps 8 feet deep. The path to the right curves through the plantings. The ground has been sloped so that it is at the same level as the porch at the right end of the porch. When I first saw it, I was more interested in the porch roof and plantings. It took a moment to realize that the path was for accessibility.

klilika thanked Moxie
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Any photos Moxie. That sounds great!
  • PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What is the total rise in inches from the lowest sidewalk point that would be offloading someone in that wheelchair to the doorway? That’s how long in feet that a ramped sidewalk approach has to be. 18”? 18’ of ramp. You can do switchbacks, with at least a 5x5 platform for turning.

The challenge is to take those technical requirements and making them attractive. Look on the NAHB website for a CAPS certified individual to do an assessment as to what other access barriers might exist. You will want that person to work with a good landscape designer as a team.

klilika thanked The Cook's Kitchen
  • Moxie
    4 years ago

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the link to Google maps to work properly. It is on the east side of 47th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN, 3 houses north of Dowling Street. The Google photo is from 2011. The landscaping has filled in now and the path is barely visible in summer.

klilika thanked Moxie
  • Moxie
    4 years ago

A friend had a ramp with switchbacks built. Being a perfectionist, she did her own research into code specifications. There are different requirements for commercial and residential locations. We use the same contractor for remodeling. I mentioned something about the ramp and he said that she insisted on using the stricter commercial code. No surprise to either of us. The change in level was large, so there was no way to make it "pretty" in a small yard.

• tatts
    4 years ago

Want switchbacks? I was surprised to find these while out walking along the Schuylkill River last year. This is the new Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Roberts Research Center. That set of switchbacks rises (or falls) two full floors--12 switchbacks. Google Maps photo.

klilika thanked tatts
Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms