Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_mae23

Choosing a double wall oven

Ash M
5 years ago

Narrowing down our choices for wall ovens. I'm done with a one piece range- constantly shooing little ones away while trying to open the oven. Frequently I'm wishing for a second oven when hosting so I think a double is a good fit. I've seen people recommend two single units for ease of replacement but I don't want two different areas and stacking makes the ovens farther apart. So. Looking at the KitchenAid Self-Cleaning Convection Double Electric Wall Oven or Bosch 800 Series Self-Cleaning Convection Double Electric Wall Oven so that gives an idea of budget.

Questions... these ovens have the convection only in the top- will I really miss the double convection?

Does anyone have these or similar and love/hate them?

Also- has anyone ordered from ebay? Display models would save us a thousand dollars and I don't mind a few scratches- as long as the company is trustworthy :/

Comments (28)

• Ash M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I don't always use my convection currently, so I'm thinking it's not a breakpoint for my purchase. I did check out a couple of the stores and messaged one- they both had a 100% feedback rating with many sales and state they stand by their product which makes me feel better. Saving 30-50% off my appliances is super tempting!! We have two dented appliances from a local Sears and are very happy with them.
    I don't have a Costco membership and they don't let you see the prices on most of them without one. Curious about the LG double oven- I'll see if I can find someone with a membership. If it's a steal of a deal I might be tempted!

I will check with my local Sears again- they've had the oven I've been looking at for awhile so maybe they'll be upgrading- one can hope! Thanks!

• iamtiramisu
    5 years ago
    I don’t blame you, I’d be tempted to save that much too! The LG model you posted is $1,999 at Costco through 4/24. If this is the one you really want, it might be worth the $50 membership fee - especially if you need other appliances or fixtures, etc. But also, they have a guarantee on their membership if you aren’t 100% satisfied they will refund the membership cost in full. So if you find that you aren’t using the membership as much as you thought you might, you can get a refund.
    Ash M thanked iamtiramisu
  • wekick
    5 years ago

I would probably avoid KA because of the blue interior. They have had issues with it chipping as have some other brands with blue interiors. Bosch gets pretty good reviews here although there was a case reported last week of chipping. I don’t think anyone else has reported here though.

Ash M thanked wekick
  • Lisa SW
    5 years ago
    I’ve had a KA double convection oven for two years, and if my experience is typical I can highly recommend it. I use it primarily for roasting, but daughter is a serious pastry chef and loves the convection when she visits. Is the price point stopping you from the double convection? While I like having both convection, based on what I cook I could easily do with one. I have no experience with Bosch so can’t compare.
  • Douglas Parker
    5 years ago

Double wall ovens are somewhat good.

• mom2sulu
    5 years ago

I have the Bosch 800 double ovens and am very unhappy with them. Neither of the two ovens bake as well as my basic old Kitchen Aid oven from my previous home. (Irregular baking--I have to rotate my trays.)

Also, I had to already replace the motherboard as the electronics went bad in the first 3 years of use.

On the other hand, I love my Bosch dishwasher, but avoid the 800 series ovens.

Ash M thanked mom2sulu
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I have a GE Cafe with only the top being convection. I'm totally fine with it. I always use the top & when I use the bottom its fine & i've never had an issue with it. Mine are 8 years old & never had an issue.

• Ash M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Eesh back to the drawing board. I was hoping to spend $4-5k for both my oven and cooktop (also which I haven't decided on yet!) though the more I look the more I think it might be wishful thinking. This house building business is getting expensive!
    Hubby keeps taking away from my budget.. which I get since the house needs to be done before we have appliances!! Thanks for checking the price @iamtiramisu - Costco must have their own appliances- that one isn't at any of the big box stores.
    Luckily these two are the only appliances I need to buy- the rest is coming over from our current dwelling as we bought them new then and I'm still happy with them. My current oven is a discontinued KA and I really like it. I really don't love the blue interior on all these models (what's with the colored interiors?) but I don't care if I really like the oven.
    @Lisa SW what model is yours, if you don't mind sharing? @moms2sulu thanks for the input- that's such a bummer!! :( And yes I love my Bosch dishwasher too. Of course one of the cooktops I'm looking at is also a Bosch 800 - it's hard to find one with touch controls and 5 elements.
    We went to Menards and Lowes last week but had our little ones with us so couldn't spend the time inspecting in person that I'd have liked (it was torture) and they're 2 hours away so it'll be awhile before I get back.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

The current Kitchenaids have no issues with enamel chipping. I specify them frequently.

Gorgeous in Germantown · More Info

Ash M thanked User
  • iamtiramisu
    5 years ago

While I know there are some models made specifically for the big box stores (and probably the warehouse stores too), the LG you mentioned above (Model LWD3063BD) is at AJ Madison, Best Buy, Lowe's and Home Depot so FWIW, that oven isn't one of them.

Ash M thanked iamtiramisu
  • Ash M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@mark_rachel I was just looking at a GE cafe. I have to admit I really like the bar style handle on this one and the KA.. Cafe Double Wall Oven but at $3500 I probably can't squeeze it.

• Lisa SW
    5 years ago
    Ash M, mine is the KA KODE500 series, actually the 507 because I only had room for a 27”.
    Ash M thanked Lisa SW
  • Ash M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oh yes thanks @iamtiramisu - I like reading the reviews. Definitely would be worth the membership for a few bucks off.
    Thanks @The cook's kitchen- that looks fabulous. I see that KA also makes a Black Stainless version which is a little more expensive. We also get an additional 15% off at Lowe's so that helps a lot!

• Ash M
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@lisa SW- I need more sleep. I've been thinking the KA had only the top with convection. Thinking I'll look around a bit but the black stainless has the black interior instead of the blue anyway so that would solve that issue (if it was an issue at all :D )
    On to cooktops... I'll make a new thread on that. I need a 36" electric with touch control and really want the 5th burner to be working instead of just a warmer- if that even exists.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Other people in our neighborhood have GE Profile double ovens with only one convection & have no complaints either. I know some are older than mine with no issues.

Ash M thanked mark_rachel
  • wekick
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The Cooks Kitchen-

“The current Kitchenaids have no issues with enamel chipping. I specify them frequently.“

How are you assured that this is no longer an issue?

I’m thinking about Wolf who has had this issue for at least ten years on this forum, all the time telling people that it was never an issue or that it was fixed. My experience with KA with my fridge has been “Oh well that is the best we can do”. If it weren’t for someone on this forum, my 48” fridge would have been trashed at 7 years old. It has been reported here that they send a can of blue touch up paint when there complaints of chipping.

I have personally had had issues with three different brands of blue enamel chipping so I would not consider blue at all except Gaggenau who has not had issues to my knowledge. KA probably comes in second to Wolf in complaints but if they have a black liner, that might solve the issue but I would definitely google it to see.

This was a very recent post about KA chipping.

“I have been waiting to resolve the issues with my double oven duel fuel Kitchenaid range before I wrote my response. The first one arrived at the end of June 2018. We traveled quite a bit for the next few months so the oven got little use. At the beginning of October I was wiping out the bottom of the upper oven when I discovered significant flakes of enamel. I contacted the appliance store. There was no problem with replacing it. The store said they had never seen this problem. They sell Whirlpool exclusively.

The second Kitchenaid was installed the end of November 2018. Within 2 WEEKS I found more flakes. When the technician came to look at it, he found 2 shards. 1-1 1/2" long and 1/4" wide”

This is a link to the whole discussion.

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/oven-porcelain-lining-flaking-chippingonly-with-blue-dsvw-vd~2270633?n=123[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/oven-porcelain-lining-flaking-chippingonly-with-blue-dsvw-vd~2270633?n=123)

• paddykk
    5 years ago

Are there any problems with the Wolf E series double oven - blue enameled interior chipping. Read some threads on that - but maybe it's no longer a problem?. We are thinking of purchasing one for our new house we are building. Any thoughts?

• wekick
    5 years ago

paddkk,

this thread has a report of one last November.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/wolf-e-series-oven-have-they-fixed-the-porcelain-chipping-issue-dsvw-vd~5500007

Some people have had them not chip until out of warranty, after 2-4 years.

Wolf for 10 years has not owned the problem so it would be hard to say if they ever fix it. They do mention on their website, if it chips, you have to replace the liner.

https://www.subzero-wolf.com/assistance/answers/oven-porcelain-damage

It seems to me if they fixed it they would put a longer guarantee on it and if someone did pay the exorbitant price to replace, they would guarantee the liner for more than one year.

• HU-435106622
    4 years ago

Thanks - scary to put down that much money down for the wall ovens. Maybe I should just go with the GE Monogram ovens!!!

• HU-435106622
    4 years ago

The above comment by me “paddykk” got listed as a comment by “HU-435106622” - strange!!!

• Ash M
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Yikes maybe you got hacked?
  • paddykk
    4 years ago

Hope not!

• Lynne-in-PA
    4 years ago

We have the Bosch 800 with convection modes only on the top oven. The bottom bakes and broils. My one regret was not getting the Benchmark with convection ovens on both. By the way, I love the pizza mode.

• ccwatters
    4 years ago

Ash, between the two options you are looking at, I would personally go with the Bosch. It's a great large-capacity oven. After a lot of research, I almost went with it but my favorite XL cookie sheets didn't allow the door to shut without touching the front of cookie sheet (there is a raised edge/lip on the back at the back of the oven rack). Nevertheless, if my cookie sheets had fit, I probably would have gone with the Bosch...I also have a Bosch gas range in my cottage, 7 years old and have not had any issues (which is almost miraculous for modern-day appliances ;)

I ended up getting the Wolf M Series double ovens instead...a very different budget I know but it's what I splurged on and LOVE cooking in them.

• Ash M
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    @ccwaters what did you end up going with? I have XL cookie sheets too and need them to fit!! Jelly roll pan size if those are considered XL.
  • Ash M
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Never mind. App wouldn’t show me your whole comment. :P
  • ccwatters
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ash, the best thing you can do to make sure your pan fits is take it into the appliance store and physically put it in the oven. The specs listed on the product description page for ovens mean nothing when the racks have edges, or the rack supports protrude inward, etc. The exercise of going in and testing your favorite pans is very revealing.

The Bosch did handle the length (side to side) of my cookie sheet, just not the width / depth (front to back) because it's an unusually wide sheet and that Bosch oven rack has the raised edge on the back of it I mentioned, it keeps the cookie sheet from being pushed all the way back ... but a large jelly roll pan may fit well in the Bosch :)