Software
Houzz Logo Print
swilliamow

Bathroom Cabinets / Kraftmaid v. Aristokraft v. Merillat v. Medallion

7 years ago

Doing a fairly large bathroom project and we are trying to finalize the cabinetry. We are going to go with solid wood construction, no particleboard at all, as well as maple for the fronts. Will also go with the soft close feature. We would welcome any and all feedback on the following four brands as we are trying to make our decision. Thank you in advance. Kraftmaid v. Aristokraft v. Merillat v. Medallion

Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago

    people usually get BERTCH brand for bath vanity and systems. Especially for a larger arrangement...they have a lot of flexibility. I have a small Bertch vanity in one location and kraft maid elsewhere. the Bertch has had much more use and has held up much better. Merillat gets pricey as you go up the scale to get your features....I don't think it's worth it. I would leave Medallion for kitchens. I wouldn't get Kraft maid again for a bath. Aristokraft: what do they have? compare the options with Bertch.

  • 7 years ago

    I had Medallion in a previous homes MB. In our new build home (now 5 years old), we again have Medallion in 3 baths. No issues.

  • 7 years ago

    I've heard Aristokraft referred to as Aristocrap. It's the low-end of Masterbrand Cabinets. Medallion is a good mid-priced cabinet.

    I have a 36" Kraftmaid vanity in my guest bath. It's cherry with a dark stain. The finish is nice but then cherry is one of the better woods for staining. They do not use the Blum glides and I lost 3" of the 12" drawer box because I did not know enough to buy frameless construction.

    I just bought an Omega vanity for the master because a few of the KDs here have recommended that brand over the years. It's also a Masterbrand company. They're well-built with Blum glides. Lots of door styles. Very nice plywood construction with no voids in the plywood. I got a medium stain on alder. There are a few blotchy areas of stain at the joint on the door face. They replaced one door for us with no problem.

    I think you'll want to educate yourself on the quality of the finish in deciding between similar companies, especially with stained maple, a hardwood which can appear blotchy when stained. Same advice goes for comparing the quality of their painted finishes.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would go with Kraftmaid Vantage series or Medallion Gold or Medallion Silverline with a Plybox. I don't think the box stores have the Vantage series, so go through a dealer. Both brands are very nice...even the interiors are real wood veneer, not vinyl clad. I agree with herb...that once you start adding on premiums to Aristokraft and Merillat, it's not worth it. Those two are builder grade and you have to add on to get up to Kraftmaid and Medallion...then they're about the same price. But I think the difference is in the finish. KM and MED have a better factory finish, unless things have changed throughout the years. Back when I carried Aristokraft in the 80s and 90s....it's finish wasn't as good as the semi-custom lines. They tend to use primers/sealers on maple to get an even finish...not a penetrating stain. Think of it like the finish sits on top of the wood. Again, this was many years ago that I carried Aristokraft so I don't know if this has changed or not. If you ever see a maple cabinet and it looks really EVEN in tone.....then it probably isn't a penetrating stain.


    If prices start to creep too high, consider Medallion Silverline with a plybox. Great price point, same finish as Medallion Gold...so you're basically getting gold at a lower price. The Lancaster shaker door is the most popular.



  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Merillat IS Kraftmaid. Only the name is different. Vantage just gives you things that most people don’t really need for the average kitchen.

  • 7 years ago

    We went with Kraftmaid for our vanity, not sure the series, but it has the soft close features and are very happy with it. Those are 5 separate cabinets.

    Vanity · More Info


    Vanity · More Info


Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!