Software
Houzz Logo Print
oldhousestreetroad

Magnolia Tree Question

Just wanted to check and see if anyone had any advice on the condition of my older magnolia tree DFW, Texas. (Zone 8a) i took these photos from my roof. There are some brown leafs, and what looks to be some buds but I know nothing about how these trees are supposed to grow, timing, etc. Appreciate any advice or thoughts in general. Thank you.





Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago

    Looks healthy except for the brown parts, maybe clip a few of those leaves and take to nearest USDA Cooperative Extension Service branch office (this will have to be during their weekday open hours) for identification of problem.

    lennox sinclaire (8a) thanked Embothrium
  • 7 years ago

    Are there ALOT of brown leaves all over the tree or like 3 out of every 100?

    lennox sinclaire (8a) thanked Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    At some point, all the older leaves must die and fall off. They will brown in the process. The new leaves come out first and cover up most of the dying so it goes unnoticed. Likely, you just happened to pay a little too much attention to it at the wrong time.

    lennox sinclaire (8a) thanked Yardvaark
  • 7 years ago

    i took these photos from my roof.


    ==>>> if you only see those few from the roof.. some might suggest to stay off the roof .... lol ...


    if its only that small group of leaves .... then i would wonder what could have happened just to those 4 ... meaning i would most likely rule out most issues that should be effecting the whole plant ...


    ken

    lennox sinclaire (8a) thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • 7 years ago

    I don't know if this is helpful, but I took a photo of my Little Gem Magnolia and marked the buds. The first magnolia flower of 2019 opened this morning but it's too high on the tree for a photo.


    lennox sinclaire (8a) thanked annieinaustin
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    @Embothrium I appreciate the thoughts. Hopefully the brown leaves are just an anomaly and wont have to reach out to the Local Extension. @Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis There are only a few brown leaves. Nothing to visible from the ground but I'll keep and eye out. @Yardvaark Thank you, I tend to over analyze the minor amidst a rather healthy tree/garden. @ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 It was fun getting on the roof in an act of delayed disobedience, as the parents weren't too keen on roof surfing in my yesteryear's. I felt that rebellious rush and it was TOTALLY worth capturing 4/1,000,000 brown leaves in the process. @annieinaustin That is extremely helpful for a newbie like myself trying to understand the art of taking care of the inherited yard/garden/tree(s) @blue bayou I appreciate your insight. Still trying to figure out the best way of getting those leaves out of the garden because, in a bit of a catch 22, I have 3 mature red Yuccas directly underneath the magnolia that act as a leaf catcher but creates a difficult and time consuming effort trying to dig out all the leaves from the Yucca's. I'll keep my rake near by and try to keep the area clean as possible. Perhaps a decent addition to the compost bin. Thank you all!

  • 7 years ago

    That looks like a healthy tree to me. I bet the new growth is pushing out by now. I have two DD Blanchards here in Austin and they're really taking off right now.

  • 7 years ago

    I have a magnolia question. My Little Gem has some low branches that I would like to remove to limb it up a little bit. When is the best time of the year to do this? I am One 8a in Texas.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The time you decide it's something you want to do - it being a southern magnolia it's not going to do anything like bleed sap heavily for instance.

  • 7 years ago

    This is the time of year in Texas the s. magnolia looses it leaves and looks horrible. The one I have in east Texas is doing the same thing Give a couple of weeks it will look normal again.