Software
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Cuttings Question (s).. Seeking information

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

For years, I have read about gardeners on this forum swapping or sharing cuttings. Sometimes, it is a small plant started from a cutting that has started to grow. In other cases, what is shared is just a "wood" cutting from a rose plant absent any growth and no soil. I know that phytosanitary certificates are required for nurseries that ship roses to certain states. Do you all have any information regarding state restrictions. I know CA and Oregon strictly regulate not just plant materials, but even fruit etc. being brought into the state.

It seems that intrastate exchange of cuttings or small plants grown from cuttings is not much of an issue, but how do you determine interstate sharing of plant materials (wood and or a cutting that is forming a very small plant)? What is the protocol? I am guessing the Department of Agriculture has been contacted? Are there no concerns if what one sends is just stem/wood and no soil?

I ask because later this year, we could be selling our LV home. That garden is filled with roses I consider treasures. I selected Ludwigs roses based upon unavailability in the U.S. I purchased roses from Vintage prior to their closing and have been lucky to have acquired roses that are also part of the Las Vegas collection/garden. I am considering taking cuttings and/or digging up and donating the special roses so they can live on and be treasured by another rose lover.

Comments (3)