Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totoro8

Sweet Mademoiselle

totoro z7b Md
4 years ago

I got her from a local nursery. I assume it is grafted but I am no expert. She came with a nice bushy shape and several buds. I love the fragrance and so far the color is not too neon to me.

Comments (33)

• totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Weird. I can only upload photos using the Houzz app but I cant start a new thread using the app.

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    4 years ago

I love this rose! My first bloom just showed up today.

• totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Congrats! Hers are probably the biggest blooma of all my roses. They really make an impact in the garden. More today

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

That colour really shows up well against the foliage! I love roses that look good from afar as that's how most of my garden is viewed. Strange how this rose fairly screams in Lisa's garden, but looks so elegant in yours, especially the pink outer petals that shade to the inner apricot.

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

I agree that’s a much nicer color than mine. She does smell wonderful, doesn’t she? I’ve been hiding mine behind the sweet peas. Maybe she’s mellowing our this year (or I am), because she doesn’t look as neon to me now.

She has lots of buds and blooms, if you can find them:)

My mom likes the color, so maybe they’ll open for Mother’s Day! Lisa

• Krista_5NY
    4 years ago

I love this rose, I planted it last spring and it was vigorous and a good bloomer its first summer. Great photos of it!

• Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
    4 years ago

Great pictures you all! I planted my baby own root today. Can't wait for blooms.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

This rose really reminds me of Boscobel.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I’ve said this elsewhere, but I think Lisa and I got ‘Day-Glo Madame’ instead of Sweet Madmoiselle. Mine is rather modestly scented, I call her ‘Insufficiently Sweet Madmoiselle’.

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Mine from today. It’s completely opened up, approx 6” across. I don’t have many HT so this is the largest bloom I have in my garden. I’m glad I have her, she’s so delightful and sweet!

• totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Huge! I love how the centers are peachy/apricot.
  • totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is my Boscobel today for comparison

• totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    4 years ago

SM after the rain

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    4 years ago
    I do adore her. I got her grafted last year from a local nursery, and the colors ranged from bubblegum pink to coral to salmon to neon orange. Smell was consistently amazing though, and blooms huge. The vase life was fantastic!
  • Christian
    4 years ago

I picked up Sweet Mademoiselle from Lowes today fresh off the truck for $20. Her leaves are gigantic! I figured they are that large cause the growers probably pumped her full of fertilizer to prepare her for the sales-floor.

I need to find a place for her, I’m thinking a pot. For those of you who have had her for a while how big does she seem to want to be?

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    4 years ago

She stayed 4’ for me all season last year until October one 10’ cane shot up into the air. She’s a muscle girl - big leaves, thick stems and huge flowers. This is the second year I have her (actually them as I have 6 of them), I was wooaoo by the size of the blooms this morning - 6.25” across, a new record. She holds up well in heat and rain, extra long vase life.

4 years ago

Do you live Christian? Mine just got in a shipment last night but I wasn't able to make it there today.

• Christian
    4 years ago

I’m glad to hear she is tough, and seems to be somewhat well behaved. I noticed that while she does have big thorns they tend to be well spaced and towards the bottom of the canes closer to the blossoms is basically thornless.

Vaporvac, I live in Nampa Idaho. The store must of just got the shipment for mother’s day they had around 8 big plant racks full I picked through the racks to find one I was happiest with.

This is the pot I’m thinking about putting her in.

• totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Agree she makes a great cut rose. I am going to buy another of her if I can find her for cheaper than $30.
  • totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Setting a new bud already! This new growth was coming up even as it still had blooms from the first flush. There are about 5 new canes sprouting from existing ones.

4 years ago

Thanks for the update. I think this would be a great rose for a cutting garden.

• totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Second flush starting!

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

I know Ben’s not going to believe this, because I hardly believe it myself. My Sweet Mademoiselle has mellowed our, and is blooming a much nicer color. It will never be my very favorite, but it doesn’t make me feel angry every time I see it, as it did last year. It’s a nice sherbet color, no neon to be seen. It will never be my favorite rose, but I think it’s a nice one for giving away in bouquets. I’ve rarely had a cut rose last so long, and her scent is lovely. (Goodness, I cannot believe I’m saying such good things about her, after how ugly she was last year.) I couldn’t find a home for her and for now, she stays.

Mine wants to be very tall, just like Princess Charlene de Monaco. Right now, she’s so tall that I can’t even reach the top of her. She was cut down in Feb? March? and is now above the fence. Lisa

4 years ago

Lisa, that is always the way, isn't it? Seeing that beautiful picture, I'm having a hard time believing she doesn't add to your garden. I'll have to keep her in mind if I ever get a "cutting" garden together maybe putting her on a pillar, although she may stay small in my zone.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

My mom's SM is gorgeous--huge cabbagey roses that look almost fake. Maybe it's because she gets full afternoon sun, but the bright color fades out and it produces stunningly pretty roses. Too pink for my taste, but they *are* lovely.

• Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
    2 years ago

What a pretty rose! I just looked it doesnt seem to be here in Australia, but it is from Meilland and we usually get most of their releases. This one will go on my extremely long wish list of currently unavailable (to me) roses. Melodye

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

if it's any consolation, you guys get roses that can be very hard to come by up here in the US as well. It took me forever to find Nahema!

• Lisa Adams
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

How ironic that this post would turn up again. I had my son remove my Sweet Mademoiselle about a year and a half ago. Mine was almost always a bright neon color that I couldn’t stand. A few months ago, I noticed a single, really neon bloom amongst the Boscobel blooms. Upon closer inspection, that bloom was coming from a separate single cane. I guess my Sweet Mademoiselle was an own root plant and a tiny bit of root was left behind. It took over a year, but my gaudy, artificial looking SM is back! I can’t believe it. It’s in an awkward place, so I don’t think I can remove it. I may be stuck with her. It’s crazy that she has returned after a year. Sweet Mademoiselle must be one strong rose! I rarely remove roses, but she was one that I truly couldn’t stand the sight of anymore. I don’t know if it’s my soil, the heat, or if I just got one that’s usually a super gaudy color. If she looked like the pictures I posted above, I’d be ok with her. Unfortunately, I remember her only blooming one flush that was a nice color. The rest of the year she was a horrible neon orange. I don’t know what the future holds for my SM, but she clearly wants to stay! Lisa

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Lisa, have you ever heard the song The Cat Came Back?

The Cat came back the very next day. I thought he was a gonner but he just couldn't stay away.

Reminds me of your Sweet Mademoiselle. It really is kind of funny that it came back to taunt you.

I really love the color of mine

Im sorry that the color of yours was too gaudy for your taste.

Maybe the baby will be a better color

• Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Aaron, I have and love Nahema too. It has the most beautiful scent as well as big sumptuous flowers. Iwaited for years for Kordes Quicksilver, which was a new release here last year. Unfortunately I was in Hospital when my order arrived. daughter put all the bare roots into a bucket of water, but they drowned by the time I got home. So I am still waiting, cant get to nurseries or big stores because of lockdown Melodye

ps if SM is neon orange it might replace Orangerie, which I find to be a very stingy rebloomer, M

• Caroline Sias
    last year

Lisa, I had a thought. Do you think she might be grafted but the graft took strangely so she is more intense than the original, heavy on one of the parents? I just put her in this year as an own root and have been so excited to see her bloom, still waiting , lol! Your pictures are so different than others.

• Christian
    last year

My mom has a Sweet Mademoiselle and she absolutely adores it. Its not my favorite the buds and just opening blooms don't bother me to much but the more sun they get they turn a more garish neon color. She also has an unpleasent frangrance to my nose.

That said she is extraordinarily health and vigrous this is only her second year in ground and she produced a huge first flush despite the bad weather we have had this spring.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES