Peonies & shrub roses in containers - short term until fall

Can I plant peonies & roses in containers until the fall and then transplant them into their permanent locations? Currently my yard is mostly conifers and barberry bushes (from previous owners) and I want to remove some of the unwanted/overgrown conifers and amend the soil properly before transplanting. I'm in zone 4a.

Thanks

• Vinod

From what I've read, you would want to give them a big enough container (think a half-barrel), but one that you can take the plant out of in fall without disturbing the roots too much.

• Vinod

Also, if you have a bonsai society near you, they may be interested in harvesting your overgrown bushes. Neglected old landscape plantings often make excellent pre-bonsai.

MaMaison _ Zone 3 Southern AB thanked Vinod
  • MaMaison _ Zone 3 Southern AB

Thanks. I placed an ad for the free trees and shrubs. There's some interest in them so that's great. I hate to kill healthy plants.

I have a couple of half-barrels but I'm not sure if there are drainage holes.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I have kept roses in large containers for a length of time and there were no problems. I've even overwintered them in the containers by sinking the containers into the ground for the winter.