webuser_561797362

Peonies & shrub roses in containers - short term until fall

Can I plant peonies & roses in containers until the fall and then transplant them into their permanent locations? Currently my yard is mostly conifers and barberry bushes (from previous owners) and I want to remove some of the unwanted/overgrown conifers and amend the soil properly before transplanting. I'm in zone 4a.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• Vinod

From what I've read, you would want to give them a big enough container (think a half-barrel), but one that you can take the plant out of in fall without disturbing the roots too much.

• Vinod

Also, if you have a bonsai society near you, they may be interested in harvesting your overgrown bushes. Neglected old landscape plantings often make excellent pre-bonsai.

MaMaison _ Zone 3 Southern AB thanked Vinod
  • MaMaison _ Zone 3 Southern AB

Thanks. I placed an ad for the free trees and shrubs. There's some interest in them so that's great. I hate to kill healthy plants.

I have a couple of half-barrels but I'm not sure if there are drainage holes.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I have kept roses in large containers for a length of time and there were no problems. I've even overwintered them in the containers by sinking the containers into the ground for the winter.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).