Software
Houzz Logo Print
chris209_gw

Spring arrives...

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We just had a stunning weekend on Long Island. Some of the nicest weather so far this year and I couldn't get enough of the garden. I took some shots then but also some today after some rain showers. The roses are just starting but the irises are really showing off.

Comments (31)

  • 7 years ago

    I love your roses. Do you know the name of the white Iris, by chance?


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    There will be a lot less mulch on view once the annuals start filling in.



    Batik



    -Chris

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Monarda. I don't know the name of the iris. I think it's an older variety. I got it as a pass along plant.

  • 7 years ago

    What an absolutely stunning garden, Chris. I hope you'll show us more photos as the season goes on. You've chosen such wonderful roses and other plants. The white iris is glorious.

  • 7 years ago

    Really beautiful, Chris! I envy your planning -- my garden became more of a collection than a plan, but you really have an eye for design.


    :-)


    ~Christopher

  • 7 years ago

    Chris, you have a beautiful selections and they all look gorgeous. Beautiful garden !! I also love the white Iris .
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Yay! Spring has arrived in Chris' garden!! As always, what a delightful bouquet of blooms you've posted. Christopher is spot on. Not only do you grow a wonderful variety of plants, your garden's layout, hardscapes and the way you've combined the colors, forms and textures of the plant materials is classic and pure genius! Following your rose photo trail is like diving into a favorite garden book. Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Nice collection Chris.. I've always wanted Fair Rosamund clematis... I wish I would see it more often... I think it's the stamens that are especially appealing in this one..

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful!

  • 7 years ago

    The pale pink shades are beautiful, gorgeous mix of colors. Your flowers look like porcelain.

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful especially the first pic. Gorgeous color. Helen

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks everyone for all your kind comments!


    I'll definitely have more roses to come. The rugosas are always the first.


    Marlorena, it's a very nice clematis. The flowers are smaller than the usual, which I actual find charming.


    Krista, those are my favorite colors to combine, varying shades of pinks and purples, blue and whites. I got several flats of snapdragons for the front of the beds and there are some harsh oranges and reds mixed in. I only realized after planting when they began blooming and now it's driving me crazy lol.


    Christopher, I really appreciate that! I try but it's endless work. Plants never behave as you predict they will. Things that are supposed to be hardy end up dying. Other things get too big, and others don't want to grow. I'm forever rearranging. It's like a game of chess. My husband thinks I'm nuts.


    -Chris

  • 7 years ago

    Oh my goodness! What a magnificent garden you have! Those roses! And the wine and yellow irises. I miss living on the East Coast every spring. Used to have a house in the woods right on the Bergen County NJ border. Nothing beats an East Coast spring. Thanks for the beautiful photos!

  • 7 years ago

    Your lawn and grass path is edged beautifully... just as it should be... rather like an English country garden, if I might say that...

    ...I didn't see those photos previously for some strange reason...

  • 7 years ago

    Jerome, aren’t those Irises great? They don’t really work with my color scheme but I love them nevertheless. Another pass along from a house in the neighborhood. I find all my good Irises while out on bike rides, then ask the homeowners nicely for rhizomes lol.


    Marlorena, the lawn and the edging is all to my husband‘s credit. I take that as quite the compliment because I take much inspiration from English gardens. We visited Hidcote a couple of years ago and was in heaven.


    -Chris

  • 7 years ago

    Just gorgeous, Chris! The white iris is stunning!

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful! I’m on Long Island too but still only have buds on my roses and peonies

  • 7 years ago

    Henry Hudson is amazing

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks Seil!

    Jaime, most of my roses are just in bud too but these are always the first to bloom. What part of LI are you in? If you ever want Henry Hudson cuttings or suckers just let me know. It's not easy to find nowadays.

  • 7 years ago

    Your yard is so beautiful you should be offering tours! I'd go if I was in your area. :-)

  • 7 years ago

    We had about an inch of rain fall last night. The poor plants are so waterlogged but the sun came out today and things are starting to dry out.

    Indigo

    Roseraie de l'Hay


  • 7 years ago

    What an idyllic setting you have there! Everything looks really good together & well thought out. I completely know what you mean about plants not doing exactly what they should. I have also lost supposedly hardy plants, other things have not grown into their spot as they should, thus moving them and setting them back another year. But your efforts have paid off from the looks of it. I too look forward to seeing more of your roses.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks mmmm and Hallo! Hallo, it's nice to know it's not just me :)

    Went out today and found the first bloom to open on Marianne


    Henry Hudson with dianthus






  • 7 years ago

    Chris, you have a dream garden, and your photography skills show everything off to perfection. Seeing your roses and all the other beautiful plants has been a privilege.

  • 7 years ago

    Chris, what a beautiful garden! Awesome pictures - love the iris and white picket fence!

  • 7 years ago

    Chris, do you still have Daybreak? Your pictures of it from a previous year were stunning. I'm still trying to figure out how to add it to my garden. If you still have it, I hope you won't mind sharing some photos of it when it comes into bloom this spring.

  • 7 years ago

    Like, like, Like,... Ahhhh, Marianne! A beautiful shot of her loveliness, Chris. Your Roseraie de l'Hay almost looks like Indigo. It's such a kaleidoscope of raspberry and violet in your garden! Carol

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you all so much once again. It's a treat to share with all of you who know the work that goes into gardening and appreciates interesting plants. I'll keep posting as new things develop.


    Kes, I still have daybreak and I'll certainly post pictures soon!


    Carol, I'll be posting to the gallica thread soon.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Queen of Sweden


    Colonial White


  • 7 years ago

    Climbing Clothilde Soupert is opening up really well for me this spring with all of the cool weather I suppose.