Software
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_grimsley

Do these two light styles work together?

7 years ago

I have the island pendants installed already. I was waiting on the table light because I needed to see if the table I already had would fit in the space. Will the cone light work with the style of the pendant lighting over the island? I am not happy with the chairs that I have, but as I said I already had them and need to use them for the time being...so do not take those into considering when viewing the picture with the table. All opinions welcome, even the negative. All comments will help me make a better decision. Thanks!

Comments (43)

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for your feedback. I’m really struggling with this. I don’t want your typical chandelier light with all the arm and shades. Looking for something clean and simple. My thoughts in using the island pendants were because of the low ceilings...8ft. I thought with the open cage design it would look more open. I can see that all the light is at the ceiling. The size was not perfect either, but then again that 8ft ceiling limits the choices available. The direction I was headed in with the dining light was not more of the same as the island lighting with the open look. Would something like this be a better match?

  • 7 years ago

    If you're going with a different style than the lantern light, something needs to tie them together. Look at lights in the same finish as the pendants.


    Everly Quinn Hesperia 4-Light Drum Chandelier | Wayfair · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    Groveraxle they are suppose to be the same finish according to the description. Antique bronze. Hard to tell by pictures on a website. I was more worried about the style matching than finish.

  • 7 years ago

    no

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Would not mix them.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Here are two suggestions to consider....both from Shadesoflight.com


  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Any update...

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Home Interiors with Ease. Even though I had more comments on here that the cone was not a good match for the pendant, I did have a few positive comments...on another post and from personal individuals. I went ahead and ordered the light and the color is a good match for my pendants. My pendants are a muddle finish, whereas the cone is a flat finish, but the same color. So hard to tell in photos till you actually see it. I will not be at the property till next week and then probably not hung till the next, if i feel it is a good fit. I love the fixture, but that does not always translate to it being the right fixture. I decided to give it a try. Was trying to steer the decor away from the so traditional look. I may be heading for a big crash. I’ll follow up with it. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for this type of fixture. Comes in three sizes and different color finishes and shade colors. Great light!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Agree it is a great fixture have used in in several projects...just not sure it s the best choice for your room...if it dosent work out I would go with an oversized drum with a chain...William Sonoma Home...it will add a contemporary style mixed with your traditional..very pretty kitchen.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Home Interiors with ease. I will go check out the fixtures at Williams Sonoma...probably did at one point. And Shades of Light is a great site too. Got a couple bathroom fixtures from there. Just didn’t see that perfect one for the dining.

  • 7 years ago

    That's a great chandelier. But I don't think it goes with the pendants. The lanterns are very traditional, chandelier is contemporary. I like Groveraxle's suggestion. Kinda has a contemporary vibe but would look great with lanterns.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Brown Dog. I keep hearing this a lot. The finish on the light is the same as the pendants as Gloveraxle suggested to help tie them together, but that doesn’t make the style any different. I’ll just have to see if I even like the cone over the table and if I do, I may just have to change the pendants. I’m not married to them, but would incur another cost by doing this. Nice pup. Is that a Lab or GSP?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Just found this shape may work better if cone shape doesn’t work...

  • 7 years ago

    Hope I can jump in with a similar quandary. I have a beautiful drum light above my kitchen dining table. The main ceiling fixture is an ugly rectangular fluorescent fixture. What would be a coordinating style to use as a replacement? I'll try to add pictures tomorrow.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    ChElle.....please yes start your own dilemma..we can help you out...

  • 7 years ago

    I really like that light Home Interiors with Ease. It will be a good choice. I’m going to the property tomorrow and will be able to see what the cone looks like.

  • 7 years ago

    Well this is the best I can tell, without installing the light.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Hmmm...I really don’t think it works..:( it has a very industrial modern style and the cone shape doesn’t work with the lanterns...

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Your kitchen is so pretty

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for the compliment homes with ease. What would you suggest as a companion light for the island if I went in that direction? I also hate those dining chairs in there. Not that I dislike the chairs, just not in that space.

  • 7 years ago

    I also looked at the light from
    Williams S and it is 19.75 I. Dia. The cone is 24, will the 19.75 be large enough for the table? It is 54 “. And I read rule is 1/2 to 2/3 size of table. The 2/3 would be huge in there with those 8ft ceiling and considering the cone is 24, I can’t see it being 27”. Just wondering if 19.75 too small?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Keep them simple..should also hang from dark cord..these are both from Rejuvenation’s. Oil rubbed bronze finish on both...a few sizes available..you don’t want them to big. 14” around that size


  • PRO
    7 years ago

    What color s the table?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    That cone really looked big over the table...BUT with that said I like the look and I love going large.....I have a 56” round and my drum light is 22” so over a 54” a 20” will work and the more detailed and solid of a design you can go a bit smaller...my island has 3 large mercury glass...

    Saddlebrook · More Info



    Saddlebrook · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    Home Interiors...Beautiful dining and kitchen. I wish the ceiling were taller, but happy that when we found the house it was open concept. So the light is probably a little
    large and even changing the pendant they will have to be on the small side to accommodate the ceiling height, so the scale of the WS is probably a much better fit. The table is a really dark brown, not black. Here is a picture of it in a show home with the leaf in it. Those chairs are beautiful, but entirely way too traditional for this space. Thinking to have them slipped covered to look like a parsons chair.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Thanks I do love my dining kitchen area...I think the WS drum will look great...and you could keep your lanterns but if it was me I would change them out to something simpler..size of them works width wise...the two pendants I suggested would also work with the WS....if you are going for a modern farmhouse yes slipcovers are a nice easy way to change them up.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Cross back wood and metal chairs would look great too!

  • 7 years ago

    Home Interiors I’m over analyzing this as I do all things, however, the light from WS will incur me an additional cost for the light, tax, and shipping of $250 plus the return of the cone $50(?)...which was free shipping and 30% off! My Husband likes the WS better, but my practical side says don’t even go there. I’ve spend a lot of time...over a year thanks to hurricane Micheal, and more money than intended...isn’t that always the case...but I want the finishing touches to be right. I love the cone light, so I either hang it and move on and be ok with the pendants or change later, or return and start over. I may use my tried and true method of deciding. Y and N on a piece of paper in a hat. What ever the choice move forward and don’t dwell on it anymore. Oh the joys of renovating and decorating.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Oh my! That’s terrible on the extra cost :( ok we know you love the cone and already paid for..the pendant lights would be easy to change out....we can find some very budget friendly pendants with cord rather than chain..in rubbed bronze that is easy...I say replace island lights...keep cone....add new chairs...or try slip covers...

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Just playing around....chairs and new pendants over island..


  • 7 years ago

    I think that is a good plan. I do love the light and my Sister said she thought it was a good fit and she liked the fact that it drew your eye to the dining area from the den area and front door. Picture with green chairs. I like the idea of the x back look chair and I need three stools for my island. I’ve sent a picture of that space construction mode . How you think they would look?. Where are these from? I could cover the chairs. I’ve got so much to do and trying to get it pulled together. Ordered fabric to cover those lime green chairs in den and it was backed ordered...the story of my life with this project. Need a new rug, lamps, it seems it will never end. And since I’m so particular, I haven’t even got mirrors or lights over my master vanity. I had someone get me through the paint, tile, and flooring process, but I don’t have anyone locally such as a designer. Small rural town and there are no sources for this. And I’m trying to work with furniture and decor from another property and it is t working that good in this space. Anyway I’m sure this is more information that you wanted, but I do like the x back chairs if you can tell me the source and I’ll see if they have stools. You are such a sweet person to take your time to comment.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Honestly..now a days you can just replace chairs for cost of recovering...have you looked online? I can help find a couple club chairs in good quality good price...if just wanting a cotton duck or linen...oh I love the info..it helps me understand the style goal you are trying to achieve....

    Let me get cross back chair info for you...

  • PRO
    7 years ago


    The rubbed bronze modern farmhouse light woukd be a nice choice if you decide to switch them up...very reasonable price..Pottery Barn..$132 each....

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Birch Lane.....you will love everything they have online..if you haven’t shopped that site..yes they have counter height stools to match dining chairs...both come in sets of two...



  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Here if you need me!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Don’t know if you have ever shopped ARHAUS..but they have gorgeous quality furniture..here are some chairs that are on sale right now...

  • 7 years ago

    I love Arhaus and would shop with them, but they don’t do in store pick up and the shipping to my area is just not worth it. Got ready to purchase a bed and the cost to get it to me was $300. I’m going to need 3 stools and most everything comes in pairs or outside that practical cost zone for me. May end up with an additional stool. I’m telling you it is a real struggle to get anything besides the same ole boring and tradition decor and furnishings in that area. I agree with you about the chairs, but they are really good quality and finding something to replace them around here or without paying shipping cost is my same old song and dance. Fabric and an upholster I can get. Plus if I don’t use the stuff, there’s that “What am I going to do with it”? Nobody will pay me anything for it, and I already have a storage building with stuffed
    full, so I might as well use it. I’m getting to old for this, but I will get it done sooner or most likely later. I’ll send you a photo when it’s hung. And that will take weeks. Have a good evening. Thanks!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Good Luck Sandra...yes totally understand about the upholstering..sounds like that is your best bet..my goodness where do you live? That is no fun....

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Check out Perigold..they have free shipping...

  • 7 years ago

    I love your chairs but I would get a more exciting material for the seats.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh Jeanne that is a must. I’m just trying to get it all figured out. I still don’t have the light fixture hung. And I have to travel at least 2 hrs to have access to shopping. Shopping for home decor, fabrics, lighting, etc. so frustrating.

  • 7 years ago

    Well I finally got the light hung. Now to get some drapes and work on those chairs. Happy with it, but not loving the islands lights with it. Will have to work on those.