joaquin7

making my rooms brighter and cohesive

Barb Smith
last modified: June 3, 2019

I want to paint my rooms and hallways all the same colour but neutral colour so it brightens it up

• decoenthusiaste

The cool white tile and the warm cabinetry, trim and floors are an issue that might be solved with a pale sage green paint color. If new tile is in your future, keep it in the warm zone.

Shaker & Sage in Redding, Kitchen · More Info

Cape Cod- Victoria · More Info

Inner City Skyline

Have you tried that magical color white? I would go with white or light beige if you still enjoy neutral color tone. If you do have crown molding, or install them it would look great.

• Marilyn N

Not a pro, but we just painted our condo with Sherwin Williams, Natural Tan. Every room. And I love it! After living in a house with many rooms painted different yet coordinating colors I’m thrilled to be able to add my own pops of color and change it up.

• 2014diane

I can seen 2 options. I would leave the blue paint and add a blue rug, blue pillows, blue artwork to the non blue wall room. OR Paint all the walls light tan or white.

• Brown Dog

You have a lot of honey oak in your house. I find it a tricky colour because not too many colours look great with it unless you go dark. But you want to lighten everything up so I agree with Inner City Skyline, go with white. A warm white. But not too yellow-ey.

• cat_ky

Choose your colors with no yellow tones. Yellow tones, will not look good with your floors or trim. Your living room, is way too yellow right now, and doesnt go well in your room.

• Barb Smith

What do you think about adding some glass doors and new handles on the kitchen cabinets?

• decoenthusiaste

New hardware usually helps. Glass doors don't unless you have items that need to be displayed and can add LED lighting to show them off. Removal of all the clutter and the valance and clock would help too.

• Barb Smith

I like the idea of a soft white but do I do for colour to bring all the rooms together?

• Barb Smith

I love the life’s of soft white. Do you think it will go with my dark furniture and all the oak? What colour can I use through that will make it all go together?

• calidesign

Get a few samples of a neutral white, paint them on white poster board, and try them in your lighting next to your tile floors and also next to your wood floors. Your rooms can be cohesive by using the white color throughout, and choosing two accent colors, based on your furnishings, and varying their use in the different rooms. You also may be able to use a soft sage green in the kitchen and kitchen eating area, with white in the hallways and other rooms.

• Barb Smith

Thanks I will do that! I have brown couches what colour would you suggest as an accent colour? What colour should I use for curtains as well?

• cat_ky

Barb, blues, greens, aquas, turquoises in lighter tones, will all go with your honey oak trim. The blue in your kitchen area, goes very well with your honey oak trim, however, I would like to see that a bit lighter shade of blue. You can always follow the new trend of painting everything white, and using colors for accent, since that is popular to do right now. I however, am already tired of seeing all white rooms. I had that in my own house 35 yrs ago, and once I finally painted it all out, I wouldnt do it again. LOL

• Angel 18432

I would try some kind of white in the kitchen and dining room. The Blue does nothing for your home. The valances look heavy, especially in the dining room.

• calidesign

Don't get curtains until you've decided on paint. I would match the curtains to the wall color. Greens will go well with all your wood tones and tan tiles as an accent color. You can vary the intensity with darker green pillows, very light green walls in the kitchen, plants, etc.

• Barb Smith

What colour curtains and pillows would you sub if I paint soft white. It almost has a touch of grey or would you go with a total different colour. Sorry about the window we are just having new ones put in.

• DK Haas

I'd paint a neutral warm gray shade, like SW accessible beige or Aesthetic white.

Choose a whole house color scheme for the public areas.

Paint? · More Info

Living too · More Info

Re: Accent color..... Make your home feel larger with a cohesive color scheme in the public areas. A single color and shades of that OR two colors and their shades

Are you planning to keep the red rug? Then use warm tones in the rug. Find wall art with the same colors..

If not, then find wall art you like. Pull the brightest colors from the wall art to use as solid color pillows. Why the brightest? Dark colors will visually-melt into the sofa. Off white pillows would add a spark of light to the sofa

The example below shows that you can mix styles as long as the colors coordinate. For example- He liked blues, She liked greens. This ikat series blended the two colors

Teal Ikat I-IV, by Chariklia Zarris

Living too · More Info

Living too · More Info

Patterned wall art with Solid pillows called for a patterned rug:

Safavieh Dip Dyed Ddy675E Ivory, Chocolate Area Rug · More Info

ENTRY ART- ThIs wall art by Lilliana Purinton WaterLillies 2&3 near the entry announces the color palette throughout the public areas. There are so many colors to choose from: indigo, lemon, lime, sky, teal, Aqua, forest, mint, .....with hints of lavender & pink

Living too · More Info

Living too · More Info

Choosimg a whole house color scheme makes it very easy when you are shopping. If the item isn't in your colors, then put it back. . Know that the collective look is what you are after. You don't have to love every single item- simply stay within your chosen colors.

• Barb Smith

Thanks so much for you help ! I really appreciate all the help you are giving me . What about curtains? What colour?

• DK Haas

I'd choose neutral light curtains- linen or cotton canvas in soft white. In LR- Hang as close to the ceiling as possible and allow them to stack outside the window to increase the Window's size. I'd choose an oil rubbed bronze rod for a bit of black -an old design rule- very room needs a bit of black.

If curtainsxare for a sliding glass door- no valances. Valances draw the eye down and give a heavy feeling. Think airy and light. Hang as high and as wide as possible and allow them to stack the outside the glass & against wall if possible

My Houzz: Iris Dankner · More Info

• DK Haas

I'd paint the blue out of the kitchen, as it creates a high contrast with the cabinets- that causes the space to feel smaller. I'd paint with a light color of high LRV LIGHT REFLECTIVE VALUE. Add the blue back into the room with a blue patterned rug for the purpose of grounding the space -breaking up the sterility of the white tile

This Loloi Francesca collection: blue and ivory rug has shades of blue with off white, grays and bits of green. It's busy enough to not show dirt easily. (Use two small rugs as a runner)

Loloi · More Info

Loloi Rugs · Francesca · FC-62 · Blue, Ivory · More Info

• Barb Smith

Thanks everyone! I really really appreciate all these ideas and I will certainly take them to heart when I paint and get the rugs and wall decor!

I can thank everyone enough for their help and input

• Not a Pro

following

• Barb Smith

Can I ask another question please ? If I go with the Aesthetic White colour do I paint the ceilings the same colour???

• calidesign

I would keep the ceilings a brighter white.

• Barb Smith

Ok thank you

• Barb Smith

I am wondering if someone could tell me where I could find a curtain rod?
    I want a bent rods to go over my curved window in the living. I can’t seem to find where to buy it . Thanks

• calidesign

Buy a straight rod and mount it near the ceiling. Make sure it is wide enough so your drapery panels can clear the window when pushed all the way back. It will highlight the beautiful window rather than covering it.

Airy · More Info