Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbradwell

Dining Area Dilemma

We're trying to finalize some plans for a small kitchen and I need some advice. The plan we currently have would allow 42.75" between a small dining room table (31.5" width) and the cabinets, which is pretty tight. It's a small house with no other option for a dining room table, so I wanted to leave the option for one, but now I'm wondering if we should just plan for an eat-in counter situation. The other options would be small island with seating, which would be easier because we could add it later after living there a bit and seeing how we feel, or a peninsula stemming from the area under the window on the left, which obviously would need to be decided now. The peninsula might be nice not to be blocking that window with tall cabinets, but we are planning to run tile to the ceiling and I wonder if it it might look odd for that to just end at the countertop edge since there wouldn't be tall cabinets for it to die into. Or we could put an upper cabinet to the left of the window above the peninsula. A peninsula would kill any chance for a table, and I'm not sure how important that is to most buyers. This won't be a forever home for us, so we want it to be marketable in the future.

Including a rough idea for the plans, but some of the details, such as where drawers will go, will be changed. The range will have a wall mounted hood vent. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (4)