Software
Houzz Logo Print
genevre_in_az

Roses on a stick

7 years ago

Here is a photo of my two year old cutting from an old-town Prescott rose. Reminds me of some very specialized apple trees from Stark...



A couple of days ago I was back in Prescott, and visited this baby's mama.



These roses are in the yard of a house built anywhere from 1880 to 1910. These are the oldest looking roses in the yard. They repeat. I'm wondering if these two are the survivors of a hedge of a hybrid perpetual variety? The two other roses are also very old-looking, but are yellow and orangish hybrid teas. Prescott, Arizona is a wonderful town to find old roses, maybe the best in the state. And that doesn't even count the old roses on the grounds of the Sharlot Hall Museum.

Comments (7)

  • 7 years ago

    What a precious thing to have a rose like this, not to mention that it's very beautiful. The Prescott area is pretty fantastic, scenically and historically.

    Genevre thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    How beautiful! If I am ever near there I will have to make a point of visiting Prescott. It looks like a lot of beautiful national forests near there.

    Genevre thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 7 years ago

    That's awesome, I love the sumptuous blooms. Prescott sounds like great place to visit. I like to tour historic towns and gardens.

    Genevre thanked Krista_5NY
  • 7 years ago

    What a wonderful find, Genevre. I’m that cutting is doing so well for you. You’ve found a true treasure. I think you had mentioned this one before, and I was hoping your cutting was doing well. It obviously is doing great. How awesome that it repeats! It’s a beautiful color, the foliage looks healthy, and it’s a tough rose. What a special find. Lisa

    Genevre thanked Lisa Adams
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    WOW! And though I've spent some time in AZ, I've never visited Prescott. My loss! That's a lovely thang.

    Any chance you could get some closeup shots of the leaves?

    Genevre thanked jerijen
  • 7 years ago

    Yes, Prescott has all sorts of attractions for a visit - 15 to 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix in summer, some wildly beautiful granite dells scenery, courthouse square and the whole old town dining/shopping tourist thing, etc. Best time for old roses is later May. This year's weird cool May allowed for the spring bloomers to keep blooming into June. I saw Harison's Yellow and Shailer's Provence in several places each in old town, then there are the rarer types I might be walking right past without recognizing them as old, like the pink rose bushes pictured above, plus the two hybrid teas in the same yard. How do you tell an antique hybrid tea unless you actually recognize the variety?


    Here is a close up of the pink rose, hopefully with enough leaf detail for what Jeri wants:



    Here is another rarity, hiding out in the northwest corner of the Sharlot Hall Museum grounds, next to watered lawn. First Damask/Gallica hybrid I've ever found in AZ. Isolated skinny stems, averaging 18 inches tall, popping up between honeysuckle and a non-rose bush, with a mix of tiny prickles and straight straw-colored larger prickles, and these glorious flowers. I don't think it's original to that location, more likely gathered or purchased and planted there:





    Am I correct in my thought that a rose with that elongated receptacle shows lots of Damask influence? Does anyone recognize this rose? Museum staff aren't answering my questions about it. The flowers are 2 to 3 inches across.