Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkwyrme

Vines to pair with roses

bookwyrme
4 years ago

Hi! I'm just discovering the joys of pairing vines with roses. I have a couple of Clematis tucked in next to rose bushes & am looking forward to flowers, but I'm wondering if there are other vines people like to grow over/with roses--either climbing or bush roses.

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

I just planted rose Martin Frobisher next to a chocolate vine. I love clematis too.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

That sounds very pretty, Sheila! I‘ve Been looking at chocolate vine—it sounds scrumptious!

I also like some of the tamer, hybrid honeysuckles, or annual vines that you can pull off at the end of the season, like runner beans. :-)

• bookwyrme
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Which honeysuckles? I've heard DON'T grow Japanese honeysuckles, but very little on alternatives.

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    4 years ago

There are many varieties of honeysuckle that are mannerly. At my old house I planted a honeysuckle called kintzley's ghost. I moved before I could enjoy it, but I walk by my old house regularly. It is still there and is under 8 feet. The people who bought my house do not seem to be into garden care. But that vine is surviving well and is not out of control. I would like to try a few honeysuckle here as well. It would help if you gave us your general location. Answers will be more tailored to your region that way.

• bookwyrme
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm in Zone 10b, in sunny Southern California :)

• bookwyrme
    Original Author
    4 years ago

David, the garden articles & pictures all show the Clematis actually growing on the rose itself if it's not a climber (which is why looking at height is important!), or with the rose on a trellis if it is. I've only just added a couple, so it's too early for me to say how well it works IRL for me :)

Here'sone of the articles.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    4 years ago

I am very greedy and like to plant another climber with all my climbing and rambling roses. However, I have found that anything too bushy or leafy can overwhelm the rose.

A late flowering clematis is best, even though they flower in early summer in zone 10b.

I cut mine back to about 1 or 2 feet above the soil level each Nov/Dec. That way you can get to the rose easier to do any pruning or tidying. (If you cut the clematis back and leave it for a week or so, the sap will dry up and it will pull away from the rose cleanly without bringing half the rose with it).

There are lots and lots of Clematis viticella and other late flowering clematis to choose from.

Here is Clematis Perle d'Azur with rose Colombian Climber which has worked very well for 11 years now. They were planted together in the same hole. The rose was planted deeply and the clematis was planted very deeply.

Daisy

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

What a gorgeous pairing, Daisy! Your garden is just breathtaking! :-)

• davidchance
    4 years ago

Daisy that is absolutely breathtaking! Wow

Can I tap into your experience today please?

I have this rose on a trellis

and just came across this cute little clematis

What do you think would be the most effective way of adding the clematis to the trellis? From one of the sides? Up the centre?

Thanks for reading,

David

• Amanda Zone10Socal
    4 years ago

If you want something more delicate I like "Love in a Puff". They're easy to grow from seed here.

• totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

Wow, in rose and clematis in the same hole! Maybe I should not be worried about my 6 inch spacing.

Other than clematis, I dont have a lot of experience with vines except hyacinth bean vine is a useful annual in my area. Oh and I grow wisteria with my roses, but the wisteria flowers and ends before any roses I have. Wisteria does shade the roses so shade tolerant ones do better with the wisteria.

• bookwyrme
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Daisy, that is gorgeous!!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Daisy I love those colors together! Very cool and refreshing

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I use Japanese Morning Glories, usually the 'hige' varieties which, in general, are less aggressive but still beautiful.

Also, moonvine Ipomea alba, are nice and bloom in the evening and cloudy days, even when the roses don't. They are fragrant, and provide nectar for my hummingbird/hawk moths. There is also a Lavender moonflower vine which opens in the evening but isn't fragrant.

Corkscrew vine/vigna carracalla, and passionvines are also nice.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

This smells so good in the evening and the flowers kinda glow. The vines die back at first frost so I just grow them like annuals here.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Daisy, what a beauty! Sultry, I love yours too!

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    4 years ago

David, that is a lovely rose and clematis, but it would be necessary to know which rose and clematis they are for anyone to offer an opinion. There are now a number of small "patio" clematis available. If it is one of these, then it would probably work. It would just need guiding towards the trellis where, if you want to train it, it will just need tying in as it grows. But why not open a new thread, with some more information? Daisy

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES