0
kristinhallett

Please Help Me Select a Coffee Table

kristinhallett

I am trying to find a coffee table for me family room. I believe my style is rustic contemporary but I am drawn to Asian styled coffee tables.

Can it work?

I have a chest being used as my temp. coffee table and I’m also replacing carpet wood flooring that will probably be honey oak.

• kulrn

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/monterey-coffee-table-round-nesting?ID=776958

My mother has them, they are pretty nice, and price is good. $409 now on sale at Macy's

• groveraxle

I also think a round coffee table would help to break up all the squares, but I do think a square Asian style table could work if you really love it.

• groveraxle

I quite like the square here.

• Liron Granit

I actually realy love this one: https://amzn.to/2Kfd3x9 

i think it will be beautiful there:) and very cheap

BeverlyFLADeziner

That table from Amazon isn't even wood.

Glo European Windows & Doors

I dig your style and love the stone fireplace! I think either the first or third coffee table would look amazing! It's a great shape and tone for what you've already got going. I particularly like the first one since its a lot wider than the other, which I think will add a nice proportion to the room. I think the black might be too harsh.

• groveraxle

Now that you've installed a wood floor (well, I've installed one, anyway), you'll need a rug. I tried to find one that had a little of what appears to be a blush pink in the chair by the TV.

• kristinhallett

I’m in a conference so I can’t read comments, but I can’t wait to read them. I am a Houzzer so when I saw Groveraxle’s name I did a little dance in my seat. Can’t wait to get home tonight to read all advice.

• kristinhallett

Kulrn, thanks for the link. The nesting tables r nice. And I have read about the importance of not having too many shapes.

But Groveraxel’s post shows me that the Asian table works. I was also trying to figure out which way to run planks. Now, I see horizontal is the way to go.

Finding a rug that is the correct size and in a reasonable price range is going to be difficult but a rug is like the cherry on the cake.

I am also going to get new window coverings and a door. Should I get bamboo that is similar in color to floor? I am wanting to get drapes for door not blinds.

• kristinhallett

Liron Granit, your link isn’t working for me.

• kristinhallett

Glo European Windows and doors, thanks for saying that u dig my style. I also like the first Asian table.

Groveraxle, the chair you’re basing rug choice on will be moving to my bedroom. I’m thinking about getting a chair covered in black linen.
    Also, I had a little girl named Annabelle. She was a basset hound. I bought her with my first paycheck. When I went to pay the clerk, I set her down and she stole a dog bone. Then, she ran out the door and down the mall corridor. She was a crackerjack.

• groveraxle

I assume you caught Annabelle. My current basset hound is Daisy. She is also a crackerjack.

I like the idea of adding black to the room.

• kristinhallett

I did catch her:)

• kristinhallett

Daisy looks like Annabelle...feminine. I’ll have to dig up a pic.

• kristinhallett

I love that rug!!!

• kristinhallett

Where can I find it?

• niccidhg

Love that rug in this room, Grover . — Let’s face it - most bassets are crackerjacks. Our basset hound, Maddie, always found an adoring audience. We lost her many years ago and still miss her.

• kristinhallett

My girl has been gone for a long time too. It breaks my heart to talk about her.

I love that rug!! I love black period. I’m afraid, I might over do it with black accents. I’m considering Changing pillows on couch too.

• kristinhallett

I like these pillows.

• groveraxle

$330 for an 8 x 10, but that's the largest it comes.

https://plushrugs.com/mohawk/huxley/90674-5691/#78678

90674-5691 Rug from Huxley by Mohawk Home | PlushRugs.com · More Info

• kristinhallett

I don’t know why pics aren’t posting

• kristinhallett

Groveraxle, thank u for taking your time finding info of rug. U r right. I’m going to need a large rug. My couch is 13 feet long.

• niccidhg

Not black , but would look nice and you could save the black for your chair and sofa pillows. 10’ x 13’ What size were you thinking ?

• niccidhg

What size is the inset between the sofa’s L and chaise part ?

• kristinhallett

Niccidhg, that part of sofa is approximately 6’ 4”.
    I had a feeling I was overdoing it with the black.

• kristinhallett

Niccidhg, measurements of sofa. What size rug do u think? Doesn’t have to be longer than 13’?

• niccidhg

Kristin, Yes, if your sofa is 13’ it shouldn’t be exactly 13’. That is too short if you want the sofa completely on the rug ( front and back legs ) . Some would need to be sticking out beyond the sofa size. However, I think a 9’x11’ would work and just place the front legs of the sofa on the rug, both width and length. I did not mean to say that a rug with black in it would be too much black. Just was suggesting this as an alternate to Grover’s too small one. — What style would you like to see there and what is your approx. budget? There are some 15’ orientals but they will most likely be much more $$$$. I really think you can make a 9’x11’ look good and then the front side won’t go so far beyond the coffee table and toward the other side of the room either.

• niccidhg

The shag cream and smoke rug does come in an 8 1/2’ x 12’ size if you like it. That should work if you would just put the front legs on all sides on it. How deep are the extended parts of the sofa ?

• niccidhg

I am going to call it a night. We can talk again / look some more tomorrow if you like.

• niccidhg

Kristin, these are all from Wayfair , 12’ x15’

• kristinhallett

Niccidhg, I would love your help in selecting a rug. Size is confusing. I can’t afford anything in the 1000s.

A little color wouldn’t hurt. I like this rug but not the fringe

• kristinhallett

I also like this one but it isn’t big enough.

• kristinhallett

Also, what do u think of a black coffee table?

• niccidhg

Black would be fine for a coffee table, but I would do something with open legs, maybe with a metal finish. That wouldn’t be so bulky . I’m afraid your beautiful room will get too “heavy” looking. This is a pic. I just happened to have in one of my ideabooks - not specific, but just for inspiration for a diff. look to consider when browsing. Maybe even a contemporary glass table ?? — Did you like the Home Depot smoke / cream rug ? If so, you could tape out that second size and see how it would fit. —— Also, is your flooring carpet or wood. If it is carpet then you probably shouldn’t have the rug go under the sofa legs at all because it will pucker. In that case I would just do a rug in the inset of the sofa where the coffee table will go.( I think I was confused and thinking it was a wood floor because that is how Grover photoshopped it. )

• kristinhallett

Niccidhg, we r replacing carpet with wood flooring with honey oak to match kitchen which is connected to living room. I do like the second rug u posted. Here r some that I also like.

• kristinhallett

Groveraxle, could u please photo a few of these rugs.

• groveraxle

I removed the coffee table so you could see the rugs. Plus the table you choose will be somewhat dependent on the rug.

And since my opinion is worth more than you paid for it, I'm going to give it to you free: don't like either of the striped rugs; they're a little too much warm in an already warm room. I like the black and gray one best. It's the most dramatic.

• kristinhallett

Thank u so much for photoshopping the rugs. Before photoshop, I loved the striped ones but after it is a big negative. I love the black but it says it is shag. Doesn’t look shaggy in pick. I also like the other abstract looking one.

Thank u, Groveraxle!!!

I have a striped one in kitchen so probably it would have been striped overload.

• kristinhallett

I really think I need black as the main color

• groveraxle

Trent Austin Design Rugs You'll Love | Wayfair · More Info

• kristinhallett

Groveraxle, thank u:)

I’m definitely getting some type of black rug.

Houzz crew asks if I want help. This is new for me. Has anybody used this service? Is it free? They keeping asking if I want help.

• kulrn

A few ideas..

Trent Austin Design Covina Black/Gray Area Rug | Wayfair · More Info

Beacon Rug from Metropolitan by American Rug Craftsmen | PlushRugs.com · More Info

Modern Rugs & Wool Rugs | west elm · More Info

Jaipur Light Gray & Dark Shadow Rug - Jaipur Rugs - Rugs - Accessories · More Info

• kulrn

Hide?

Bashian Grayson Gray Area Rug, 9'x12' · More Info

Bashian Griffin Area Rug, Gray, 9'x12' · More Info

Bashian Spencer Area Rug, Gray, 9'x12' · More Info

Bashian Albion Area Rug, Gray, 9'x12' · More Info

• kristinhallett

Kurln, I like the first 3. Do u happen to know the brands?

• kristinhallett

Kulrn, the first one u posted is my favorite.

• groveraxle

Kristin, Kulrn's first one is this one I Photoshopped above:

I have no clue what "Houzz crew" is.

• kristinhallett

Groveraxel, well

• kristinhallett

Didn’t mean to post! But I guess there is no doubt of liking rug. I did a google search and it is an indoor outdoor rug:(

• niccidhg

Grover, before looking further for rugs, could you tell us what size the gray,black plaid rug was which you photoshopped in there ?