tammymcl

mirror question for master bath

tammymcl

Sorry if this is a double post. My first one didn’t appear to post. Looking for a mirror for this vanity. I can’t decide between round or rectangle. After reading another post this morning on mirrors, I realized that I was looking for mirrors that may be too big. My space between sconces is 44” and counter top to ceiling is also 44”. Toilet, sinks and tub are Kohler hardware if that helps. Any ideas are much appreciated.

• Cavimum

Because of the herringbone layout on the wall tile, and more geometric angles with your sink shape, I suggest an oval mirror to soften the overall look, with a metal look finish to balance out all the "stone" on the walls and vanity.

"...counter top to ceiling is also 44”.". So how high is your ceiling and how high are your cabinets? Looks more than 44" in your photo. I'm confused.

• chloebud

Not a pro but Cavimum's suggestion of oval sounds nice. I found this link on Houzz, FWIW.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-choose-a-bathroom-mirror-stsetivw-vs~93189120

• tammymcl

Cavimum- you’re right. It’s 60”. Not sure why I thought it was 44”. Wedding brain. Lol

• tammymcl

Chloe- thanks for the link!

M&M Interiors

I would do a round or oval mirror- there are so many choices out there- but look at Howard Elliott and uttermost

• tammymcl

How about a 30” beveled frameless round? It leaves 7” between the side of the mirror and sconces.

• luscious111

Rounded rectangle framed mirror, 30” x 42” in polished nickel from Rejuvenation. Will look amazing!

• felizlady

I usually select a mirror or mirrored wall-mounted medicine cabinet which is the same width as the sink cabinet.
    The other mirror size you can consider for a plain or framed wall mirror would fit between the lighting sconces with three or four inches between the mirror edge and the sconces.
    I also install an over-mirror fixture above each sink and a ceiling fixture for general lighting. Bathroom lighting from several directions is best for all grooming and makeup application because it lights your hair and face from all directions

• teddytoo

I would get an oval mirror that is lighted. Ever since a hotel bathroom had one I want one for my bathroom. I’m not even into makeup other than slap some on in the morning. Just search lighted oval mirror on Houzz and you’ll get a ton of options.

• Claire Larece

I would do a 40x40 mirror.

• Toby

A round mirror would break up some of the rectangular shapes.

I think your sconces look a little too wimpy, more like mood lighting than task lighting.

• tammymcl

Thanks for the input. I wondered if the sconces were too small

• Claire Larece

They’re not too small once you place the mirror you will see the balance.

• Cavimum

Sconce size is just right, IMO. It is not your main source of task light. Ours is the same size.

• Toby

Of course it's the main source of task lighting at the mirror.

What type of bulb do they take?

• tammymcl

Great suggestions!

Toby- the sconce takes a 60w

• hummingalong2

I'm a straight lines person, so I would want a rectangle to be compatible with your sink.

Beth H. :

either of these would work for me

• tammymcl

Looking for the suggested mirrors tonight and it brought up a question about finishes. My sconces
    are polished nickel, the faucets and hardware are polished chrome. Knobs are clear glass with polished chrome. What finish should the mirrors be? Polished nickel, polished chrome or a silver leaf?

• tammymcl

Or maybe a dark grey to match the vanity?

• Jora

I guess I'm in the minority for suggesting either a square or rectangular mirror. I, personally, don't think an oval will compliment that beautiful bathroom.

Beth H. :

agree, no oval.

as for finish, either will work (any of the nickel finishes or even chrome) You could even do a soft brass or wood frame if you want to add some warmth.

notice here how they mixed their metals.

• pink_peony

I think an oval will date it.

Vertice Wall Mirror · More Info

photos · More Info

• doods

I agree an oval or round will date it. Being a gal who has been around for a while (lol) I've seen both round and oval come and go, and when they go they really look outdated, but rectangular doesn't seem to have that problem.

• RedRyder

I also like the idea of a rectangular or more interesting take on rectangular. Oval will seem wrong.

• Bri Bosh

I’d go rectangular with a very simple sleek frame. Side note, is that backsplash attached to the counter removable and does the wall tile run behind it? I think it would look much better to remove it.

• pink_peony

Mirrors · More Info

Mirrors · More Info

Mirrors · More Info

Mirrors · More Info

Mirrors · More Info

Mirrors · More Info

Mirrors · More Info

• tammymcl

Wow! Thanks everyone. I’ll definitely do a rectangle. I love the mirrored frame one.

To the poster that asked about the tile, it is not removable. It is part of a frame around the herringbone.

• Claire Larece

If you go with a rectangular mirror I would do a 30” wide mirror but not as tall since your sink size is small.

• skunst2017

Whatever you choose , round or oval ..make sure it's centered over the sink

• tammymcl

I purchased this one. Thanks for all the help!

• RedRyder

Good choice! Show photos after you hang it.

• cpartist

I would go for something a bit different. Maybe something with a colorful border. Something to give the room "pop" and stand out a bit from that gorgeous tile backsplash.