Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjjjade

prevent paper wasps???

jjjjade H
4 years ago

A week ago, a wasp nest was found under the front porch at the right corner. My husband sprayed water to knock it down..

Second day, another one was build right away at the opposite corner. The next day (yesterday), he sprayed water again to knock it down.

This morning 2-3 wasps have been circling and hanging around under the porch and often flying RIGHT UNDER THE DOOR FRAME. We have problems now trying to get in and out of the front door, for they are always there at the door. I have to open the door a little to warn them in order for them to not getting on my way.

Basically, we do NOT want to kill them but just do not welcome them to hang around our front door to pose any danger to especially children (I have children coming to my home often). They would be very scared. What can we do to prevent the wasps coming back after we knock down their nests? And what else we can use to make them not like our porch.

Thanks

Comment (1)

• Fori
    4 years ago

I think you are doing what you need to do. After some time (depending on what species and where you are), the nest-starting period will be over and you can relax. Until then be vigilant. You can probably use a stick or pole to knock then down if the porch isn't too high.

You can take this opportunity to teach kids the finer points of living with wasps. Some kids really do freak out excessively in the presence of bees and wasps and a few don't exercise the proper amount of caution.

jjjjade H thanked Fori