abergerdc

Living ROom Design

abergerdc

I need help in adding color and some furniture to my living room.
I would like to have a neat flowing relaxing vibe.nothing too bright but not dull either. Not dark. I don’t have a lot of light

• abergerdc

Hi Grover, here are some pics. please lmk if you need more. Thank you.
    what happens if we run the rod before the nook? will it look not centered? On the left side where the pipe is, if we go outside pipe the depth is 4". Hope your computer is fixed. Thank you again!!

• groveraxle

My original plan was to run the curtain rod in front of that pipe on the left, but if that puts it 4" away from the wall, it puts it even further from the window and I'm afraid that's just going to look stupid. It will be obvious that the curtains are nonfunctional, and that's never a good look.

RL Relocation LLC

This room is full of little hang ups lol. I think its safe to say we need to get rid of that square floor lamp and get you a touchier or up light for that corner. Grover ? thoughts on that, I can see that the stupid fan light does not provide enough general room light, and I do realize it's still daylight out so that makes it hard to judge, but long and short yes I think one more light should do the trick. The pendant light cord is what is making you crazy with that, but let yourself adjust to it, kind of goes like that. You can suck it up into the canopy a little more but not to much or it will put tension on the fixture again.

• abergerdc

G rover, sounds right to me. inside the pipe, it is my understanding that it will not look balanced because the window is not centered.
    thank you for the advice. no curtains then.

RL Relocation LLC

Grover... cornice board? Than tack the curtain up behind that?

• groveraxle

Here are two better options if you still want to soften that wall. (You can go without curtains, but they just add a bit of extra pizazz.) One would be short curtains mounted at the top of the window recess and falling just to the heater:

You should be able to use the rod you already have if you go this route.

Second would be a faux Roman shade...

...from this seller on etsy:

Faux fake flat roman shade valance. Custom Sizing. Premier | Etsy · More Info

https://www.etsy.com/listing/705299657/faux-fake-flat-roman-shade-valance?ga_search_query=shibori&ref=shop_items_search_3&frs=1

Note: This shade is not operable, but just for decoration. Also, seller doesn't show this in a blue version, but you can make a special request for this same fabric in blue.

A third option would be to find a drapery workroom locally and have a real Roman shade made in the above fabric in blue. That is probably the most expensive option.

• abergerdc

Grover, I love the idea short curtains. I like the look!! thank you so much!
    Do they make them that length?will I need 2 brackets, rod, anything on end of rods? thank you so much!!

• groveraxle

I just edited my previous post to show you the roman shade.

If you go the short curtain route, hang your rod where I show it, add the hooks, then measure to the heater to get your length. Then contact the seller and have her make them to the exact length you need. Still get them 50" wide.

• groveraxle

Oh, those things on the ends of the rod are called finials. You'll have to see if you have room for one on the left end of the rod. If you don't, then don't put a finial on the right end either.

• abergerdc

Grover, maybe the shade over the curtains??
    wghat do you think?

• groveraxle

No. Shade OR curtains. Not both.

• abergerdc

grover, I understand...
    what is your opinion?

• groveraxle

I like the curtains better.

• Seajay Sparkles

Like the curtains better too.

• abergerdc

Hi Grover. curtains it is. I'm waiting for the rug first to make sure the color will work.
    otherwise, I need to try a similar rug in person .I'm still considering 1 of your other 2 you picked out.
    anything I should know about measurements? do they come in standard sizes?thank you!

• abergerdc

Grover, if I have no end pieces on the curtain rod, what will prevent it from not sliding off the hook?they also make a thicker rod for the hook I got. should I get the thicker rod?
    thank you again!!!!

• abergerdc

Hi RL, thank you for the advice on the cord.
    I think you are right maybe 1 more light in th that corner. here is the room lit at night. Thank you again!!

• groveraxle

Aberger, go back to my posts from yesterday. I explained about the finials and measuring for the curtains. Convo the seller on etsy when you order and tell her exactly how long you want them.

• Seajay Sparkles

Aberger. Congrats on a wonderful transformation. Grover and RL skillfully guided you to a home you can be proud of. I have a couple of tiny tweaks: do you have another place you can place the round mirror which is to the right of the TV. Can the individual lights on the new floor lamp on the left side of the sofa be moved a little higher on the pole and then they would probably look best facing downward. If there are reasons why you are keeping things like this, please ignore me. ;-)

RL Relocation LLC

Wow, it is lit up, ok well maybe you dont need the other lamp, that will be your call. This is way better lighting than you had with those million track heads lol!

• abergerdc

Hi RL,

Thank you!!!! I think it is good enough. I am puttting the photo light on the dimmer that the track was on. Great suggestion!! Thank you!!!!

• groveraxle

The improvement in lighting is amazing.

Bad news, Guys. Computer is back in the shop. It came home Tuesday and immediately started having panic attacks. They’re sending her out for therapy and if that doesn’t work, they gonna make me an offer I can’t refuse.

Since I won’t be able to Photoshop, I’ll have to use 1,000 words.

• abergerdc

Hi RL, how do I thank you for the great job you did with lighting? i appreciate all your help!!

• abergerdc

Hi Grover, sorry to hear about your computer.
    I hope they give you a new one with all th trouble. anyway,
    the curtains dont come with holes for the hooks. they come with an opening to thread the rod.
    ehat is your opinion about this? are they easy to open and close? how do they look usually?
    thanks again for your guidance!!!

• juliab51

Wow- your room is already looking so much more polished. The lighting and photograph look wonderful, and I can't wait to see how it all comes together with the new rug, curtains and media console. If you are interested in getting some background on your proposed curtain fabric, CBS Sunday Morning had a feature on Shibori dying today: https://www.cbsnews.com/video/the-art-of-japanese-tie-dyeing/#x

RL Relocation LLC

ONE thing is we need to get the cord for the picture light straightened out, and use a cord cover. And I want to mention, the dimmer part of the switch might not work so well with LED , so it maybe on and off, I know LED tend to be fussy about the dimmers they pair with.

RL Relocation LLC

I just love the first new picture you posted above, looking into the living room, looks clean and fresh! I cant wait for the pictures above the piano.

• groveraxle

Aberger, the rings and clips don’t use holes. They simply clip onto the fabric, sort of like a banana clip. The curtain is made with what’s called a rod pocket which is meant to slip over the curtain rod. But you aren’t going to use it. You will use rings and clips instead. In fact, tell this to the seller so she can just eliminate the rod pocket. You will have to measure carefully to get the length exactly right.

This is how rings and clips work.

Blue Linen Curtains Italian Denim Net Shibori Heavy Linen | Etsy · More Info

And this is how a rod pocket looks: all scrunchy and it doesn’t hang nicely.

Open Weave Lined Burlap 96-inch Curtain Panel - 15813269 - Overstock.com Shoppin · More Info

• abergerdc

Hi Grover, thank you for the info.
    you stated to hang just above radiator.
    do I want to hang at bottom of window sill or go down that .5" to cover completely so it will be right at top of radiator?

RL Relocation LLC

resting on top, otherwise the curtains will not lay flat, and look contrived.

• abergerdc

Hi RL, thank you!!

• groveraxle

Not sure what RL means by ”resting on top”, but the curtains should just kiss the window sill.

• abergerdc

Hi Grover, thank you!!!

• groveraxle

Oh, wait a minute. I may have screwed up in my advice on curtain length. Is the curtain rod inside or outside the window recess?

I just looked back at a photo showing the whole window and I want the curtain rod on the wall, close to the ceiling with the left end as far left as you can get, and the right end equidistant from the center of the window. This means the curtains will hang straight down and just kiss the top of the radiator, not the sill.

if you’re confused by my 1,000 words, my computer is on its way back. Should have it today or tomorrow and can draw a picture.

• groveraxle

Got my computer back. Still had to use words, but not 1,000 of 'em.

• abergerdc

Hi Grover, glad your back up and running.
    I am only using 2 brackets correct?

How close to the ceiling you think I can get the rod?

didnt order curtains yet because waiting for rug still. in process of getting photos. hopefully will complete by mid end of weekend.thank you again!!!!!

• groveraxle

You'll have to be the one to determine how close you can get to the ceiling. Just get as close as you can. You probably will only need brackets on the ends of the rod. I assume the brackets can be bought separately, so if it sags in the middle, you can always add another bracket.

I'm up and running, sort of. Had to restore my data from a week old back up, so I lost a bit. And for some reason my mail client refuses to connect. First world problems.

RL Relocation LLC

Have the curtains come yet?

• Marta

Just got to reading this post today... wow, what a process and transformation! Kudos to the OP and all those advising (grover!)! Can’t wait to see the final reveal!

• abergerdc

Hi RL, I'm waiting for the carpet to come first to make sure they are the right color. the carpet I have currently is a greenish type where it should be sky blue. I'm getting the entertainment unit tomorrow and ccx will update a pic. the correct carpet will be here around aug 20th. until then. getting pics picked out above the piano. I will keep you updated and thank you again as slways!!

• abergerdc

Hi Marta, Grover is a true artist and unbelievable vision. we connected immediately. Amazing taste as md trying to save money as well.
    I cannot give her er enough praise. she brought RL in who is an amazing lighting expert. better than electricians on design and installation. she is the real deal!!

• fredisaduck

It's looking so great! RL and Grover are amazing! I can't wait to see what happens next. Houzz has become my guilty pleasure.

RL Relocation LLC

^^^^Houzz has a way of doing that lol, gotta check the feed lol! thanks for the nice words!

• abergerdc

Hi Grover, I am still working on implementing your brilliant ideas.
    I just heard from the warehouse the rug is being shipped tomorrow.
    after I have it, I can order curtains.
    still waiting for my family to give me a few photos to do the wall.

thank you again!!

• abergerdc

Hi Grover,

my handyman wants me to purchase the ends of the curtain rod..finalis...
    how many things do I need to hold up the curtain rod 2 or 3?
    thank you

• groveraxle

Hi, abergerdc, I have no idea how many supports. Depends on the weight of the curtain rod, weight of the curtains, width of the window. I think they're really cheap, so go ahead and get three. A little extra support never hurts and there is nothing uglier than a sagging curtain rod.

• abergerdc

Grover. you got it!! thank you and I will be in touch

RL Relocation LLC

did you get the new rug yet?

• abergerdc

Hi RL, not yet. I hope to by the weekend. as soon as I get I will post a photo.
    thank you