mytuesday

Where should I put the TV?

Caroline H

I am hoping for suggestions on furniture placement and where to put the TV. Husband wants to install speakers in the ceiling and I am not sure where to put them. I have a couch and a oval coffee table and a chair that will go in there and plan to get a large console, for under the TV. everything else will come later
thanks for any suggestions

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

Do you want the TV in the living room or family room? Can you post a close up of the space, it's hard to see whats wall and whats window

• Caroline H

Does this help? The TV will go in the family room, either on the wall to the left of the fireplace or on the wall near the bathroom

• junco East Georgia zone 8a

What is your plan for using this room? How do you want to use the other end of the family room? How many people do you need to seat? If the entire room will be used for visiting and TV watching, I would put the TV to the left of the FP. That way you could add more seating on that end of the room. If you will have a table in that section, you could still watch TV from there. Putting the TV on the bathroom wall will focus attention on that end of the room. Also, be sure to plan for enough room behind stools at the island, if you plan to have them.

• Caroline H

There will be stools, behind the island. Do I have enough space to float the couch, behind them. I am open to how to lay out the room. I dont want another eating area. But, I could do a small table for computer, games etc, with 2 chairs. Mostly, it will be used by my husband and I and then for family gatherings.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a

Here is a thread that has some good information:

Kitchen Island thread

There is tons of relevant threads over on the kitchen forum.

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

I would actually put the TV on the wall by the bathroom. The space is long, so if you put it there you can float a coach and use the space behind for either a casual dining area, two chairs, a desk etc.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a

Sina--I agree with your idea. My only thought was the option of viewing the TV from both sides rather than from the length of the room.

• Caroline H

Sina and Junco you have both hit on my 2 dilemmas.

• Caroline H

Putting the TV by the bathroom gives me a nice separate space for desk/ table. but reduces chairs for watching TV. Putting it next to the fireplace gives more chair options. but I am afraid there isn't enough walkway space

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

I recommend taping out the furniture measurements on the floor for both layouts and seeings how they work in the space. Sometimes you don't know until you try.

• Caroline H

Thanks Sina Sadeddon. I will do that, as soon as I can. The old wall is still up, as soon as it comes down.

• allison0704

Bathroom wall, so you can see FP too. You'll also be able to be more open (seating wise) to the kitchen and island seating. A breakfast table and chairs/game table can go in the corner area (right end of room, on floor plan).

• Caroline H

Thanks Allison
    It is a long skinny room, so it makes things complicated. If I put it by the bathroom, how far out from the wall should it go?

• allison0704

"how far out from the wall should it go?"

I would either mount it on the wall or on a console against the wall.