1nonlyj

Fleabag ........

IdaClaire
last modified: July 12, 2019

We've just finished watching this two season series (on Amazon Prime) and I wanted to share it here for any fans of offbeat British comedy/drama because I adored it so much. Phoebe Waller Bridge, who is a writer for critically acclaimed "Killing Eve", stars as the title character (although we never learn her name) and she is just wonderful. It's irreverent and hilarious and heartbreaking. I highly recommend.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleabag

• jb1586

We watched it reluctantly, but loved it! I wasn't initially interested, and my husband has trouble understanding British accents on television or movies. But, we thought it was wonderful.

• IdaClaire

And the priest... oh, my. So very sexy and real and devastating.

• terezosa / terriks

I can't believe that you just posted this! - I just watched the last episode of season 2 about two hours ago, and was thinking about posting about it. I sooo love this show, and I think that the second season was even better than the first. Just perfection.

• nutsaboutplants

Thanks for the tip Jen! Will try it.

• IdaClaire

Yes! The second season was perfect in every way! I found myself hurrying through our evening meal so that we could settle in to watch it. I couldn't really imagine how it was going to end, but they achieved greatness in the way it was done. That last little wave goodbye ... wow.

• bbstx

Jb1586, I too sometimes have trouble with British accents on TV. I turn on closed captioning! It’s a great help.

• 3katz4me

Will have to check it out - we always turn on cc for british shows - don’t want to miss anything.

• yeonassky

Now that my skin is slightly thicker I might be able to watch a show with that title. Teased as a child and given that name by one particularly cruel boy. If only I had known then to say I know you are but what am I.

• robo (z6a)

I LOVE this show passionately! Second season was amazing!!! So perfect in every way. I can’t believe it was only six 22-minute episodes. So much happens. Not one word wasted. I refuse to believe it’s over. Ugh.

I watched Killing Eve just to get me some more PWB but it didn’t fill the void. Hollywood or London should just give her a few million pounds to produce whatever she wants in perpetuity.

Trailer for season 1:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FhZHv2id6Sk

• lakeaffect

Phoebe Bridge-Waller is so talented as an actor, writer and creator, we've loved everything we've seen her in. robo, also check out Crashing, also created by PB-W, also very good, and with an excellent ensemble cast.

• OutsidePlaying

Thanks for the tip. I loved Killing Eve and will watch this.

• amj0517

Thank you for the tip. I tried watching it and couldn’t get through the first episode. I will try it again though!

• robo (z6a)

I will say the breaking the fourth wall in the first episode was a little over-the-top but I would advise persevering if you can.

although I didn’t love Killing Eve in the same way, Jodie Comer is SUCH a force majeure. Wow To her.

• maire_cate

Odd timing - I just watched the first episode last night and I'll watch a few more before deciding if I'll continue. I found the frequent breaking the fourth wall a little distracting.

Robo - we must have been thinking the same thing!!

• IdaClaire

Yes, keep going past the first episode. It definitely improves and I was hooked by the second one! Do know that the humor is quite dark, and not for everyone. I just love quirky shows like this, though. (She owns a guina pig-themed cafe, for goodness sake!)

I want to see Crashing too. Oh, and I understand that Phoebe has written herself into Killing Eve as another one of Villanelle's doomed victims. Said she was quite eager to be murdered by the amazing Jodie Cromer. ;-)

• gail618

I loved Crashing, even more than Fleabag. There is also an American show with the same name, so make sure it's the British Crashing you check out. Another cute and very funny British show is Lovesick. In the UK, it was called "Scrotal Recall"=)

• nutsaboutplants

Thanks for the recommendatio, Jen! Watched Season 1. Really enjoyed it. glad you all warmed me about the fourth wall feature. After a while, it just read like a stylized element, and actually, well-utilized. She’s an amazing actor! .

• nutsaboutplants

Going to try Crushed sometime soon. Thanks Gail!

• IdaClaire

Is Crashing on Netflix? Tried to find it on Amazon Prime and it only seems to be on Prime in the UK. Unfortunately, we don't have Netflix -- but I'd sure like to see this series.

• lakeaffect

Yes, Crashing is on Netflix, there's another series with PW-B called London Irish that is also good, she isn't the star, but pretty much steals the show IMO.

Loved the show Lovesick. Sorry that it’s ended.

• terezosa / terriks

I binged Crashing Saturday, and Killing Eve yesterday and today and was incredibly disappointed in Killing Eve. The character of Eve is just so incredibly annoying and downright stupid.

• IdaClaire

Well, I watch Killing Eve for Villanelle's character alone, but I'm curious terrriks - why do you see Eve that way?

• sas95

Fleabag Season 2 was my favorite show this year. I thought it was just about perfect.

I loved Killing Eve Season 1, but didn't like the last season. I think Season 2 suffered from Phoebe Waller Bridge's absence, and really floundered. I think it is one of those shows that should have ended after the first season.

• bpath Oh Sophie

Just saw the first two episodes of a Killing Eve, and I think we will be enjoying it.

• IdaClaire

bpath, I think it just gets better and better. Let me know when you first realize you've "fallen" for Villanelle. I'll bet it'll happen. ;-)

• terezosa / terriks

yes, I love Villanelle, but Eve is a complete dumbass! It's not fun to watch such a one sided game.

• IdaClaire

I like Sandra Oh, but can see why you would say that, Terriks. She does seem too flighty / silly to actually be an MI6 agent.

• jojoco

Added to my list to watch. Speaking of difficult accents, did anyone watch "Bodyguard"? The new show from BBC, not the Whitney Houston one. It started off great but got too predictable and too neatly tied up at the end. But oh my gosh, the Scottish accent is so hard to catch at times. Should have used CC.

• graywings123

I am off and on watching Bodyguard using CC. I tried 2 episodes of Fleabag and it was just too weird for me. It's getting rave reviews, though. Based on this thread, I started Lovesick last night and am liking it. But I think I need to switch on CC because I am missing some of the dialogue.

• bpath Oh Sophie

We have record-binged season one of Killing Eve. Also, I want Konstantin’s house. Is it a dacha? It is lovely.

• maire_cate

Jojoco - I watched Bodyguard a few months ago and enjoyed it. You're right about Richard Madden's accent and the ending was too pat. It had a very successful run on the BBC and there are hopes it will be renewed.

I finished Fleabag last week and thought it was quite funny but lightweight. When I watch a multi-episode show I tend to expect character development but Fleabag seemed to be one-note. Perhaps that's all PWB aimed for but after the final episode I felt let down.

Haven't tried Killing Eve but I did finally watch all of Mrs. Maisel. Loved the clothes and the sets.

• robo (z6a)

I agree about the Eve character. Although they hint she’s sort of a pasty as well.

Also does NO ONE in the UK or Europe care about forensics? Just one pair of gloves is all I ask.

maire_cate did you watch both seasons of Fleabag? I felt she had sooooo much development...trying not to give spoilers.

• maire_cate

Robo - I did watch both seasons over a 2 week period. I think PWB is one of the most radically creative writers around and I loved her outrageous scenarios and witty dialogue. The casting was superb, my favorite was Olivia Coleman who delivered her lines with just the right amount of sincerity and guile. What bothered me is that I felt Fleabag was unable to resolve her feelings about - since I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just hint - a major event. And without that I believe that she'll just repeat her behavior. Or maybe I was just expecting a Big Moment rather than a walk-away wave.

Maire

• robo (z6a)

Those photos are so lovely. <3 Thanks for the link!

• Sueb20

DH and I just started watching Fleabag last week, after my friend kept talking about it. We are loving it! We are alternating between episodes of this and Mindhunter, depending on what mood we’re in.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Thx for posting on this, Ida. When I saw it pop up on Netflix, I thought of you and gave it a shot. I agree, it is wonderful. Excellent believable dialogue... if a bit more coarse than most people I know at least. I loved the "breaking the 4th wall." Reminded me a bit of Amelie.

• IdaClaire

I'm really pleased that so many of you have enjoyed/are enjoying it! Sometimes even now, the ending will pop into my head and I'll just sit there going, "wow" all over again. I agree that it's coarse -- surprisingly so in some places. That said, I've known a couple of Brits who had no qualms about speaking so, uh, "directly" to one another. It takes some getting used to. ;-)

• maddielee

FYI : Phoebe Waller-Bridge was announced as an upcoming host of Saturday Night Live in October.

• runninginplace

I've been strongly urged to watch Fleabag as part of my official Retirement Life Plan (ie catch up on the streaming tv everyone else in the universe has already watched LOL).

Just curious, why is the show titled that? Is the protagonist a fleabag? Is that her nickname? It's rather off putting; can't really think what is possibly appealing about being or being called a fleabag.

However since my daughter definitively stated that 'the second season of Fleabag is perfection' I must watch it I suppose...

• IdaClaire

Yes, that's pretty much it. Her character is never given a name in the show, and never referred to as "Fleabag" or "a fleabag", but you are definitely left with the impression that she's someone who perhaps views herself or is viewed by others as an undesirable element. The show is actually brilliantly named; there's something very touching about the way the name of the series portrays the title character in all of her brutally honest humanity.

• jojoco

Thank you Ida for this post. Dh and I finished "Fleabag" last night and absolutely loved it. It was brilliant.

• robo (z6a)

Fleabag is Phoebe Waller-Bridges' real life family nickname. I guess it means a dirty/unpleasant person. She thought the name captured the contrast between the character's outward presentation (on point) and inner life (total mess).

• terezosa / terriks

I love how so many of the characters don't have actual names, like Godmother, Dad and The Priest.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5687612/fullcredits/cast?ref_=m_ttfc_3

On another note, I just might be related to the designer of the Hollywood Reporter cover linked to above. (^_-)

• maire_cate

Phoebe Waller-Bridges is guest hosting Saturday Night Live.

October 05, 2019 11:29 PM

Saturday Night Live

PHOEBE WALLER-BRIDGE / TAYLOR SWIFT (TV-14)