Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

Things in the garden here . . .

7 years ago

A few general garden images for Ingrid and Jin.


"Grandmother's Hat" on the hillside, coming into bloom -- many buds not open yet.


'Annie Laurie McDowell' and a "Grandmother's Hat" on the hillside:


"Phillips & Rix Cl. China"


'Purezza' (photographed from our neighbor's side)



California Poppies ( Eschscholzia californica) on the hillside.



Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Your garden is so interesting, Jeri, and beautiful. I love your established garden photos. The photos are inspirational to the rest of us.

  • 7 years ago

    I love Purezza. Mine is in too much shade, and it very small. However, it does re-bloom at least once. How often does yours re-bloom - just in the Fall, or more frequently?

    Jackie

  • 7 years ago

    Jackie asked the very question I was going to post. Love these additional photos showing yet more interesting areas. The CA poppies are so cool the way they flow down the hill.

  • 7 years ago

    Ingrid, DH is able to keep at least a few poppies blooming through the summer . . .

    'Purezza' really does repeat right through the summer -- It's a very interesting rose.

    I REALLY wish I had waited, and gotten a plant of "Vina Banksia" (Sacramento City Cemetery) -- which is probably a sister seedling to 'Purezza'. <SIGH>

    For one thing, "Vina Banks" is probably virus-free, and I know this plant of 'Purezza' has to be virused (though I have not SEEN it). But I didn't -- so I shouldn't be whining about it.

  • 7 years ago

    Jeri, what a view from your neighbor side. I bet your neighbours love your Purezza . Now, that rose is new to me. It is very pretty.
    Beautiful garden and I love Californian poppies. They are so pretty and I am glad you have them growing.
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Love the pictures. I was wondering how you kept poppies alive during the summer. Then I realized that it is cooler weather there than here. Poppies were done here months ago. You have so many wonderful roses that we just don't get to see elsewhere other than your garden. Lucky you! Lucky us since you are willing to share through pictures. I get to learn about other roses!

  • 7 years ago

    Comtessa , you are awesome. I was wondering about Phillips and Rix's of China too. That is another new rose to me .
    Thanks !!
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Comtesse asked about Phillips & Rix Cl. China. Here's a couple of better images of it:
    In my garden, where it doesn't get enough winter chill to bloom in real volume:

    And in the Sacramento City Cemetery, which offers a better example:

    Its story, as I understand it, is that Roger Phillips & Martyn Rix collected this once-blooming Cl. China on one of their trips through China.

    Concerned that they could not get cuttings through Customs to take them on to England, they left them with someone in San Francisco. Most did not survive, but this did, and it was eventually donated to the garden in the historic Sacramento City Cemetery. The cemetery folks subsequently propagated it, and sold it at the Spring Open Garden, where I bought it.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    What a lovely rose, Jeri. The small leaves set off the beautiful pink blooms so well. How wonderful it would be if this rose could be in commerce. However, if it needs some winter chill it would not be happy in my toasty plot.

  • 7 years ago

    I don't think it needs a LOT of chill, but a little bit probably does it good.

  • 7 years ago

    Once upon a time, our climate was cooler, we had more water, and things were more lush. But that was then -- and now is -- a less-gentle present. We make do.


  • 7 years ago

    Sigh. That's so beautiful.

    jerijen thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Phillips and Rix so, so, so pretty. Well, that rose is not going to make it here. Sacramento can get really cold during winter and that surprised me that most died and one survive. Well, it will definitely won't survive here at all. I am glad it is growing with you Jeri and blooming.
    Your garden is a BEAUTIFUL !! It looks as if the roses have free range and it is nice to see pics like that. WOW !!!
    Melissa, I can't get enough to see your garden too. The last pics ( your thread that had pics ) made me so, so happy. Would love to see more in future.

    jin

    jerijen thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)