Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_172845378

!!DECORATING A LIBRARY !! HELP!!

7 years ago

Hello I am in serious need of advice on how I should decorate this room to be a library. my favourite sense of style is a modern twist on a old royal look (if that makes any sense.) I was thinking of painting the room white? I want my library to be cute/fancy. Let me know what you guys are thinking ! Xoxo





Comments (28)

  • 7 years ago

    Do you have any inspiration pics for you style, even if they aren't of libraries? I am having trouble interpreting both "modern twist on a old royal look" and "cute/fancy."

  • 7 years ago

    Something like this but instead of the dark walls, white.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Do you plan on any books in this white & royal library? How many? Usually that determines the amount of shelving needed,but in all cases the paint colour choice comes last. As mentioned, do you have any inspo pics?

    edit to add: Your delish inspo pics is a dark,moody space with minimal contrast. Walls,chairs,rug,sofa,decor are all pretty close in tone. So, is what you want a room of layered whites/pales? If it is,then settle on your chairs and rug first.


    Or do you want white walls with

    Greenwich St. Penthouse · More Info

    furniture,rug etc that contrast a little or a lot? Still,the wall colour is best picked last.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    You can pair favorite colors with white. I notice only 2 photos of libraries in your idea books and neither are white. Do any of these appeal? So you want contemporary style? Your room looks pretty traditional in styling but it is fun to combine traditional with cool, unique contemporary pieces. Could be great. Chandelier would need to support styling. Any preferences?

  • 7 years ago

    The pictures I’m posting are just different furniture pieces that I like, or the style I prefer but I’d opt for different colours. Do you guys think I should do a white wall followed by black shelves/furniture. Or should I keep the shelves white as well as furniture.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I need more info. Do you have family that would use this space? Black shelving with black on ceilings in tray areas, black crystal chandelier, with black floors and everything else white would be stunning. Any thoughts on that look?

  • 7 years ago

    That sounds amazing flo, unfortunately I would prefer not to do any flooring or change the chandelier. Only thing I was willing to do was paint! After that just buy furniture.

  • 7 years ago

    Something like this, or white furniture as well as the walls?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I put this together for you before your last post.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you that looks amazing! Really makes me think. IM STILL SO STUCK! What do you think flo? White walls with black furniture?? Orr
    White walls with white furniture ??

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    It’s a great room. The wood railing? Is that an upper room? I would cover that with either bookshelves or if budget is tight paint balustrades white and rail black. Some big art in niche where that etagere sits would balance bookshelves on opposite wall in black. A couple black and white hides for a coffee table to sit on would tie and anchor whites. Paint all the walls and ceiling same color as trim. Leave the dark color on tray ceilings. But you really NEED a black crystal chandelier. It would make your room!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    White furniture, walls and one set of bookcases. Maybe one black chair? Or coffee table in glossy black? Loads of possibilities.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Please? There are many out there and it would be so awesome. How high is your ceiling where existing chandelier hangs? You could use that chandelier in another room. Maybe dress up master bath?

  • 7 years ago

    Flo you have convinced me I will have to get a black chandelier now! And behind the railing is stairs. I was thinking of putting a bookcase there anyways. Also there isn’t a 4th wall it goes into another open space!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    This will be great space for you. Nite.

  • 7 years ago

    Following

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    This has been asked already but I don’t think I’ve seen the answer—how many books will you be storing here? Don’t need an exact number, but is this a wall-to-wall bookshelves kind of situation or will a couple of bookcases do? I am not a pro, but my living room is kind of a de facto library, so just a couple thoughts based on experience (take that for what it’s worth): First, the more books you need to store, the more you see more furniture (bookcases) and less wall color. And second, the more books you have, the more the book spines themselves need to be considered when you’re imagining how you want the room to look, so it doesn’t take you by surprise.

  • 7 years ago

    Library usually means lots of books and a desk of some sort and your sample pic doesn't show any books or a desk. Are you thinking more of a small lounge? Also, is this space used as a hallway to get to the room on the other side of the french door?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Aviana - I am guessing that the kitchen entrance is on the far end (from photo) and this was intended as a formal "dining room" but you want it to be more multi-purpose? It could be both you know. Bookcase and a smaller table with 4 chairs. Could be fun too, depending on your goals?

    A Modern Gem · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    If you want "modern" your bookcases need to be black imo...

  • 7 years ago

    I’m sorry, it seems I haven’t been so clear. Yes this was intended of a formal dining room. I already have a room for a grand dining table, so I didn’t want another! Thought I would instead use this space for a library. Yes I’d like this library to be a lounge area NOT a study, NO desk or anything of that sort. Just 2-3 comfy cute chairs. The pictures I’m posting may not be the exact vision I’m trying to explain, I’m posting them because I may like a chair, how a bookshelf looks, or maybe the coffee table, I’m pulling different things out of these pictures. I want my bookshelves for the most part to be filled, little gaps here and there with something cute in it. The only people using this room would be me and my husband. And theme of the room I want is to be cozy/cute but still look fancy! I hope this helped.

  • 7 years ago

    That nook is perfect for a bulit-in bookcase look! White walls with black bookcases would be really nice! Your current chandelier is pretty and you could probably spray paint it black.

  • 7 years ago

    Just wondering if you have/love real books? It sounds like you're wanting them more for the way they look and the atmosphere?


    For me, personally, I love my kindle and got rid of a great deal of books because, frankly, I don't feel the need for them any more (and we have a study with built ins)...


    Now, it's just a room where the computer lives...


    To me, the beauty of a library isn't in the decor. It's something very intangible.


    So, are you a book lover or could the room be better utilized for something that you love to do?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Have you ever thought of putting up a reclaimed wood accent wall? The juxtaposition of books with antique wood is quite hard to beat.


  • 7 years ago

    Hey penny, why would I want a library if I simply did not love books! In my opinion I wouldn’t see the point! I have many books lying around my house making a mess!

    I much prefer a good hard copy in my hand, rather than a kindle.

    So this room is being utilized by something I love, while still trying to make it look perfect for me when I want to relax and read a good book.

  • 7 years ago

    Old World Timber, do you have a photo for an example of a "modern twist on an old royal look" that includes reclaimed wood? It's my impression that that kind of treatment is more farmhouse and casual, however I'm probably not interpreting what you're suggesting correctly...


  • 7 years ago

    I apologize Aviana.

    Good luck with your project.