Software
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Foolishly simple solutions

Here's one of mine. There's a lot of maintenance in my garden that has to be done from the top of a ladder, and, since nearly all the garden is sloping, often steeply so, finding level ground to prop a ladder is generally a trial. I have much experience with propping one foot of the ladder--we have a vast collection of them, by the way--on roofing tiles, stones, etc., a dangerous business; then one day it occurred to me simply to gouge out a little hole in the higher side of the ground to fit the ladder in. Simple; much safer.

Do you folks have any simple solutions to gardening problems?

Comments (9)

  • 7 years ago

    Our garden is flat, so I don't have that problem, but my DH did give me a lesson in ladder safety years ago, after I leaned over too far when I was pruning, and fell all the way off the ladder! Luckily it was not a very tall ladder. I landed with my arm across the rim of a steel bucket - it put a dent in the rim of the bucket, and I think would have broken my arm, but it did not as I just luckily had a carpal tunnel brace on that arm with a metal thingy in it.

    Anyway, he keeps some pieces of wood which look sort of like wide shingles around, to use under the ladder feet if they are wobbly. They work great - they are shaped like a very shallow wedge, and so can be shoved under the ladder feet in just the right way.

    The other thing he did to keep me from leaning too much when on a ladder was to get me one of those long handled clippers. They work just like normal clippers, except the handle is about 3 feet long.

    Jackie


  • 7 years ago

    My solution is to do almost nothing in the garden, but that's not going to help anyone. After falling face down on one of the wire rings placed around a rose on a steep hillside, which fortunately kept me from falling down said hillside, I've now made it a rule not to step off the pavement on any part that's sloping. I suppose that might pass as a useful solution.

  • 7 years ago

    Ingrid, mine is along the same lines. Precariously balanced on a ladder, trying to hedge the spartan pines, I thought "Hmmmm, 6 months in hospital with a broken leg or pay someone". I opted for the latter.

  • 7 years ago

    Melissa's husband had a good idea. Though long handled pruners indispensable. Avoiding falls is critical as one gets on in years.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I do like the sound of long-handled clippers, but don't remember seeing any here, or at least, any that looked functional and durable. I used to have a pruner with a long, extendable handle, and it was useful, but it didn't last. Can people recommend brands, with particular reference to Europe? Or, can they be disassembled so as to be carried in a suitcase? I have brought some strange things from the U.S. to Italy in my luggage: cast iron skillets, for one.

  • 7 years ago

    Melissa, when you mentioned bringing the clippers from the US I instantly thought of you in an airport line with the authorities looking at you askance. If they take away manicure scissors from little old ladies I wonder what they would make of your potentially lethal weapon. On the other hand, it would probably be easier then trying to bring them INTO the US. Oh, the times we live in.

    Trish, that is by all means an extremely wise decision. You can't go wrong by sending someone else up that ladder. I'm learning that when I have doubts about doing something it's my wiser reptilian brain saying "Don't be so stupid, this will not end well".

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I agree wholeheartedly about the needlessly demeaning and exaggerated "security" measures (theater) we are forced to submit to when traveling by air.


    That said, I believe you can still bring clippers or other garden equipment in your checked baggage, just not on the plane.


    As far as long-handled clippers, I own this one: https://www.amazon.com/Corona-LR-3460-Reach-Pruner/dp/B000KL4LVI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Long+handled+clippers&qid=1563407681&s=gateway&sr=8-3


    It is a big help, especially for dead heading. For thicker branches you need the leverage of two handles, & I own a small version of that kind also. For really thick branches you need a saw.)


    However, I have to say that I'm almost sure I first heard about long-handled clippers on BBC radio Gardeners' Question Time, and I would bet in the UK there would be an even better selection.



    Melissa Northern Italy zone 8 thanked monarda_gw
  • 7 years ago

    Definitely not in my carry-on luggage, Ingrid. I can't get down in the plane's baggage hold for the shears to launch my terrorist attack.