Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aph84

Full window replacement or glass only?

aph84
4 years ago

Most of the windows in my house are the original 1980s aluminum frame windows. About half of them are starting to fog up. Many of the screens are also in poor shape... either torn or the frames are bent. Otherwise, the windows still seem to work well. They look pretty good inside and out, open and close easily, and have unobtrusive narrow frames that I like.

I have gotten a quote to replace the glass only and install new screens, while keeping the same overall window, for roughly $5k. This process would use the same Cardinal low-e glass that most window manufacturers in my area advertise. The contractor seemed knowledgeable and he thought I'd be happy with his results.

I have also gotten several quotes to replace the windows with vinyl for $18k (Window World) or fiberglass for $50k (Marvin). These salespeople have strongly discouraged the glass replacement option, saying that the seals would fail again very quickly.

I prefer the glass replacement option for several reasons. Obviously, cost. But also, I think all the replacement windows I've seen look clunky compared to my aluminum windows. And finally, all new windows in my area are required to have triple coated low-e glass, which in my opinion, looks uninviting from the outside and would block too much light inside. My house was designed before low-e glass, and many of my windows face north under the shade of several live oaks. Many other windows face out onto covered porches. Triple coated low-e is required by code if I replace these windows, but I can choose clear glass if I do glass only. So I might end up having to replace the glass on new windows anyway, to get more light.

I realize both the glass replacement contractor and the window salespeople have a financial interest in my choosing their product, so I'm not sure who to trust. Does anyone have experience with glass replacement? Were you happy with it? Anyone have advice?

Comments (12)

• Sammy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

13 grand is a lot of ....... money to spend if you don’t need to spend it. Based strictly on the information you’ve provided, I think it makes more sense to simply replace the glass and screens. The screens are something you can DIY—if you’re so inclined, btw.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"(Generally, the Marvin fiberglass option shouldn’t be so substantially more expensive than a vinyl option, so you might get another bid.)"

We don't know how many windows, and don't forget Window World is bottom of the barrel crap.

• kariered
    4 years ago

My house was built in 1978. It still has the original windows, which are aluminum, same as yours. While they might be in good shape right now, my guess is the mechanical parts on them will probably start to go. I have a few windows where the lock has broken off, a frame is held together by screws and I have another window that will not stay open. My husband opened it and didn't know and let it drop and it shattered.

Also, newer windows will not let as much sound in.

That's just my two cents. Maybe start saving.

• aph84
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We had a bid for vinyl windows from Burris also, and that was around $30k, so still much less than Marvin. My house has 41 windows.

I liked the look of the Marvin windows, but the Marvin rep seemed to take pleasure in the fact that he didn't think I'd be able to afford his windows... it was kind of a weird experience. He spent equal time arguing with me about why my husband didn't take off work to listen to his sales pitch (I am dealing with this project, and husband has very limited vacation time that he'd rather spend on the beach), telling me why all my neighbors' windows are ugly, and then actually dealing with my request to have an estimate.

We have limited interest in DIY for screens, because this house has a lot of projects, and I have 2 full time helpers, ages 2 and 5. The glass contractor wasn't charging much more for new screens... and not sure if I was clear, but he was including the framing for the screens also, as a lot of ours are bent and don't fit in the window properly anymore.

Agree that $13k (or more, as I hadn't decided between Window World or the higher bid yet) is a lot to spend if unnecessary... one of the reasons I'd lean toward glass replacement. I know new ones could be more energy efficient, but we only spend about $2500/year on electric, so even if new windows save 20% over glass replacement, we'd take 26 years to break even. And I think 20% savings is probably overly rosy, as we'd still have lights, pool pump, electric clothes dryer, cooking, etc.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

Also the fact is you will still have 1980's vintage non-thermally broken windows. But only you can decide what it is worth to you as far as replacement.

• aph84
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, kariered, for your experience with the aging aluminum windows. Our current windows are quiet, but I guess it wouldn't be very fun to spend $5k on glass and then need new windows anyway.

On the other hand, if $5k got us another 10 years of being satisfied with our windows, maybe that would be a good deal, because window technology might be even better at that point. Or maybe by then there will be a way to get the new windows up to code without turning my bedroom into a cave with low-e glass....

• kariyava
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We just replaced our 25 year old aluminum windows mostly because the windows themselves (not the glass) were problematic. They weren't sufficiently thermally broken, so in the winter (we have mild winters but it still gets cold) the inside of the window frame was as cold as it was outside and made anyone near a window cold. Do you notice that your windows let in cold/heat? If so, that would be another reason to replace them.

If you are considering replacement, I would look at more options. We went with Milgard vinyl windows, which should be in between your current replacement options in terms of both price and quality, and we love them. We went with Milgard Tuscany, but their Styleline frames are narrower (and cheaper) so they may be something you would like.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

Where is your house?

• aph84
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s just north of Dallas.

I notice heat around a few windows that get direct sun, but was attributing that to clear glass. The cold is only noticeable in 2 rooms (1 is an enclosed porch with no heating vent and single pane windows that we will replace regardless of the rest of the house, the other is adjacent to a walk-in attic with an uninsulated door that might contribute.).

Overall, I don’t seem to notice the aluminum windows performing as badly as I’d expect... which is why I’m wanting to keep them If it’s not a horrible idea. Also, the option for clear glass. New windows need 3 coat low e by code, which seems overly dark for about half my windows. My current windows are grandfathered in and I could repair them with new clear glass or a 1-2 coat low e, which would be a much better option from the inside.

• ultrawin
    4 years ago

I doubt that the IG units are coming from Cardinal.

Did the contractor tell you how long the seals on the new glass is guaranteed?

• aph84
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The manufacturer warranty on the seal is 10 years, and the labor warranty is 1 year.