jojoco_gw

learn from my mistake

jojoco
last modified: July 23, 2019

I ordered an indoor/outdoor rug from Overstock for my summer cottage. It promised free, 2-day shipping via UPS. I ordered it on Tuesday evening knowing that I would be leaving on Saturday. Seemed like a safe bet.

Unfortunately, tracking updates put delivery for Monday (when I would be back in Philly.) so I signed the part that says "no signature required" and gave instructions to leave it at my front door. I made arrangements for my cousin to bring it in as soon as it was delivered. I received an update on Monday saying it had been delivered and called my cousin right away to get it. It was nowhere to be found. (FYI-this is a sleepy, tiny cabin-dirt road type place. No traffic, no thefts). UPS now says I waived my right to hold them liable by allowing the driver to release the package. Overstock later says they will replace the item for free if they can't track it down. I badgered UPS into trying to verify with the driver where exactly it was delivered because any replacement rug will meet the same fate.

My story will end well due to good customer service from Overstock, but it should serve as a warning about waiving the required signature. Or, the takeaway could simply be that UPS has no soul.

jo