Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
destinyjflood

Reface or replace cabinets

destinyjflood
4 years ago

Hi all,
I’ve received many quotes to replace cabinets and finally had a carpenter come out to estimate a full reface project.

We’re changing the layout - peninsula will be island and fridge will go where peninsula is. Also changing dish washer location

Quote for just base cabinets (new) is ~$8k not including any demo or install

Refacing quote for entire kitchen - including fixing uppers and all new doors / drawers, repaneling and finishing stains (painted uppers) plus build outs of a few new cabinets, labor included is about $7,500-9k. Flooring install, helping make window larger, crown molding, etc
(Quote does NOT include countertop instal and backsplash - I’ve already purchased the quartz)

We’re very much leaning towards the full reface job. But wanted to get opinions. Who is 100% satisfied with your refaced cabinets? Happy with a long lasting outcome? Does is look pieces together at all?

Comments (27)

• Gina S
    4 years ago

I haven't done that but I will be following -- I might do a resurface someday.

I am sure others will tell you their experiences. Did you ask him for references? Maybe you could go look at his work and talk to a couple of his customers.

I'd go for the resurface, assuming your cabinets are in good shape. You could get new flooring, a larger window, and crown molding for less money than new cabinets. It sounds like a winner.

But, for clarity ... even with resurfacing you are going to be able to move the dishwasher and refrigerator? or, is that only if you get new cabinets?

What are you doing with the backsplash?

• salonva
    4 years ago

I am amazed at the refacing quote. I entertained refacing with a few tweaks to layout- nothing as substantial as what you are doing, and I have a relatively small kitchen. The refacing quotes were just about the same as replacing the cabinets. I would have actually preferred refacing as it;s so much less disruptive and less garbage to be dumped and all of that. I think as long as you go with reputable refacing people-- check the references for sure, most people I know who did refacing were pretty pleased. Are you saying the only things not included in the refacing quote is the backsplash and counters? If I am understanding correctly, that is almost too good to be true. If it's legit- want to send them here???

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

The reface is way too cheap, by at least half. Is this an actual licensed and insured contractor? What process and finishes does he use? Buyer very much beware!

• Gcubed
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Following along.

ETA: Is there a door on the wall across from the over-sink-window? What do you gain with an island and is there enough room?

I'm not a kitchen designer by any stretch of the imagination, but are you wanting to move your fridge so that it's closer to sink and creating a better prep area? I'm not sure I'd want the fridge edge visible by the door/eating area.

I do think changing your counter and backsplash will give your kitchen an entirely new look.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Im so confused by the whole new layout. where would and island go in there, and why would the fridge be over by the door?

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    4 years ago

Would you be able to post a layout. I think the Frig should stay where it is. By moving it by the slider you are creating a wall where now the area looks open.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

your goal seems to be to an island kitchen. Assuming that.....I would keep the range and fridge wall, and leave fridge and range in those general positions. Eliminate the window wall of cabinetry....move sink to a bigger island then. this is a different project: plan, save and get what you want. If you aren't going to have a bigger exterior door or window, then the focus WILL be centered at the island...so maximize what you can do with it.

• destinyjflood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The main goal of moving the fridge is because the French doors don’t open - it gets stuck on pantry door
    Yes we want to main focus to be the island (see dream photo below)

• destinyjflood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

another photo of or design inspiration
    But the island will be standard countertop height

• destinyjflood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

3D rendering (but dishwasher next to fridge)

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"We’re changing the layout - peninsula will be island and fridge will go where peninsula is. Also changing dish washer location"

Then how do you reface? Will all the same cabinets work exactly in the new layout? Also think the reface price is WAY to low.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Your dream requires a LOT more work and expense than either of your quotes or plans. You need a better design than that to even start down this road. Or a different house.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

So why and how are you trying to reuse the old cabinets? I dont see the benefit especially since you have to have mostly new cabinets installed? I dont see how any of your old work in the new, and paying that much money to reuse vs new? I would donate the old cabinets and get a tax right off.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

I like your plan. I have a layout similar to what you are planing and it works well as to function for cooking. I love the idea of a bigger window - I would do the same if I could, but I need the few uppers I have:) Put undercabinet lighting on your list - even if just between the sink and range - I love mine - best part of my refresh. My dishwasher is where yours is now and it is not a problem for me, but might be for you if you frequently open it while cooking.

Are you doing white uppers and stained lowers? I saw that a lot on the Parade homes this year.

This is my wood kitchens idea book, which has some pics with white uppers. The idea book has both new and older, refreshed kitchens:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

If you are considering an apron front sink, Kohler makes two that can go on standard sink base cabinets and Elkay also makes "short apron" apron front sinks.

• destinyjflood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@jhmarie exactly! Thank you. I love the stained lower and painted uppers

Questions above on how we’ll reuse old cabinets: the peninsula is the exact size of our island and is a separate piece currently so it will become the island

Where the dishwasher is now will have drawers built into the cutout

All new cabinets to be built: next to oven where fridge is now, and a fridge surround build out

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Ok that makes sense, so I would just get new uppers then.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

What is the dimensions of your kitchen? I don't think you have enough room for an island.

• salonva
    4 years ago

Cpartist is there a rule about size of the kitchen needed and island size? Curious because in mine, I presently have a peninsula and it's been suggested that I could eliminate peninsula and get an island. So I am really curious what the wisdom is.

I think if we weren't trying to also keep a table, an island could work. My layout is different from destiny's though.

• destinyjflood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

#cpartist it’s 12x14. There will be 42 inches between the window wall cabinets and the island. The island will be 36” wide (8-9’ long)
    Thoughts on that size?

• destinyjflood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@rl relocation thanks! Appreciate your insight :)

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Not big enough for an island. You need 48” of clearance all the way around. 60” for major traffic paths with seating.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    4 years ago

Although 48" clearance is desirable we have had clients do successful islands with less. The real question is how is anyone going to do professional grade work for the prices that have been quoted. My guess is that the true cost develops after demolition when destinyjflood is committed and all of the uncovered issues come to the surface.

Refacing is a reasonable option when the existing cabinets are sound and the layout is close to ideal. Take those conditions off the table and new cabinets offer far more value for the money invested.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

#cpartist it’s 12x14. There will be 42 inches between the window wall cabinets and the island. The island will be 36” wide (8-9’ long)
    Thoughts on that size?

So let's do the math:

You have 144" between the window wall and the other side.

144" - 25.5" (perimeter cabinet plus counter overhang) = 118.5"

You need a minimum of 42" for a one butt kitchen.

118.5" - 42" = 76.5"

You say you intend to have a 36" wide island. If you're planning on seating, you don't have enough room as you need 15" for legroom. Let's assume you want only the 36"

76.5" - 36" = 40.5" for a pathway on the opposite side of the island. If you have no cabinets or anything else, then yes, you have enough room, but not with seating. You don't have enough room for seating, so you are losing your seating.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

My kitchen is 12.5 x 12.5 and I have room for my small island which is 5' x 3' - and also movable - not built in. There are some factors to keep in mind. I am primarily the only cook. It could be tight if two are cooking. My family is also made up of people that are average to small in size. It would be harder to navigate if we were a more hefty size. There are 42" between the sink and island and a little less between the range and island. Unlike your kitchen, I have a fourth wall which limits the length of my island.

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854052

The three stools are misleading as only two could eat comfortably, but when people gather, but are not eating yet, the third stool gives another seat.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

I see why the cabinet quote is so low. Cheap imports like Cliq are a really poor investment. At least get something manufactured in America.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following