bayarea_girl

Unique roses in our collections

bayarea_girl
last modified: August 9, 2019

Listened to George Carlin talking about "Stuff", and it made me smile thinking the roses in my garden could be considered as one of my "stuffs". They look amazing to me but can look ugly to others and that's normal :)

We started out as rose growers, and pretty soon many of us became rose collectors whom admire the uniqueness in roses whether it is beautiful or ugly uniqueness. Please share the roses in your garden that earn deserving spots in your rose collection and explain the reasons why. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I'll go first and will add more. There's no particular order. Helen

Stranger, a striped lavender, bred by Olij Rozen B.V. (Netherlands) and released approximately in 2000. It is one of my favorite roses because of its unique color. This rose isn't only unique, it's very healthy, repeats all the time in my garden, and is last well in a vase.

Pompon Veranda (KO 99/1720-02/KORfloci05/Pashmina/Pompon Flower Circus), a floribunda rose, bred by Kordes (Germany, 1999) and introduced in 2010 (Germany). This rose is breathtakingly beautiful with its cupped petal packed flower form and the colors going from green to white to pink and the blooms are last forever on a bush.

Spirit of Freedom (AUSbite), a David Austin climber rose, bred in the UK (1998) and released in the UK (2002). This rose has so many petals that counting them will take some time. It has the beautiful lilac pink that turn to lavender as it age. Absolutely gorgeous! On top of that, it has nice fragrance, great health, repeats well in my garden and the blooms are last long in a vase.

Marriotta, a miniature rose, bred by Samuel Darragh McGredy IV (1981). The petals of this rose are so unique that you almost think that it's not a rose. The 1.5-inch blooms have deep pink color with mild fragrance. It's very healthy in my garden and blooms all the time .

Mama Africa (SPEresso/Espresso), a florist rose bred by Jan Spek (Netherlands, 2005) and introduced in South Africa by Ludwigsroses (2009). This rose has a very unusual brown burgundy color blooms that last for a few weeks on a bush. I was lucky to get this rose from Anja Taschner of Ludwig's Roses when she opened a branch in Arizona for a short time. This rose is very healthy and repeats well in my garden. Because of the weather, one of the petals even has two different colors and makes the bloom even more special .

Candice (Delcand/Delludice), bred by Delbard before 2008. Each bloom is beautifully striped and unique that it makes me feel like I have multiple rose bushes into one. This rose is very healthy and repeats all the time in my garden. I also got this rose from Anja at the same time with Mama Africa.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Mossy, Celestine could make a red lover out of me. Description says deep pink, but that's the kind of red I like. Good height to cover the naked knees of leggy climbers.

bayarea_girl thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

This has been an inspired thread, and I'm finding so many roses I'd love to have. Thank you, Helen, for thinking of such a wonderful topic which has yielded all these fascinating roses.

bayarea_girl thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Sylvia Weiser Wendel

Wow!! I’d kill for Stranger, Marietta has enthralled me since I first saw it at a rose show, and Rainbow Niagara (isn’t it also called “Tropical Sunset”?) is magnificent.

Here are my lesser-known roses:

Lower right, Flamingo Sunset from Burlington.

Miniflora

More from everyone, please!

bayarea_girl thanked Sylvia Weiser Wendel
  • Sylvia Weiser Wendel

Mariotta, of course. Apple thinks they have to tell me how to spell. Ergg!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Beautiful roses everyone! Sorry to hear that so many of them are not in production. It is a shame.

I have Stranger. It hitched a ride with my Yolande from Burling. It really is a pretty rose and I don't know if I will ever be able to separate it from Yolande without destroying either one. It is my first hybrid tea rose. I am surprised by how small the plant is (it is just a baby), but since it is a florist rose, how that bloom can take the heat in my garden and survive!

Not the best picture in the world of Stranger but I think it is going to be a nice rose. It's subtle striping reminds me of Vick's Caprice (old hybrid perpetual).

Vick's Caprice

Love the stripes on this rose!

Another picture of Candice. Love this rose as well. From Ludwig's.

Her color changes throughout the year. In the cooler weather, she is much more apricot colored.

Candice when the weather is cooler.

Wedding Cake is another "different" rose. People either love it or hate it.

It too changes color throughout the summer. Right now, when it is hotter than Hades outside, it is just a very pale green. It will pink up again in the cooler weather. The petals are very thick and feel unlike any other rose. They feel like leather to me. A Ralph Moore rose.

Minnie Mouse is another Sam McGredy rose. I see a lot of her in Rainbow Niagara.

Halo Sweetie (Ralph Moore)

Occhi di Fata (Barni rose). She is white when the blooms first open and then they fade to pick as the bloom matures.

bayarea_girl thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Flamingo Dancer (Burling rose). Beautiful rose that can take a lot of heat. It will occasionally throw out some singles as well. Great rose.

Peppermint Parfait

Another Ralph Moore rose I wouldn't be without. It can really take the heat and keeps on blooming. No diseases that I have seen.

Some of the flowers have more cream in them.

Maroon Eight (Burling)

I can never capture the true color of the blooms on this one. Flowers are more on the blue spectrum of red rather than the orange spectrum. Really can take the heat. Nice bloomer. Very healthy rose.

Emily (DA rose--not in production anymore)

She does have a button eye when fully opened. Needs shade, to be on drip so she gets enough water, and likes an occasional feeding of acid fertilizer. After many, many years with this rose and almost getting rid of her, she has been blooming all summer for me. Amazing!

Diamond Anniversary (Moore)--celebrates couples who have been together for 60 years. My folks have been together for 74 years as of August 31st!

Lavender Crystal (Hitoshi Asami rose). Very easy to grow on its own root. Will occasionally get some black spot if we have a very, very rainy spring. One of the first roses I ever bought, many, many years ago.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Vaporvac, Tooth Fairy and Madame Norbert Levavasseur (what a mouthful) look like they make wonderful garden shrubs! There are only 6 pictures of Tooth Fairy on HMF. You should post your lovely full bush shot there.

bayarea_girl thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Ken Wilkinson

The only rose I have that is unique or different is,

The Green Rose

bayarea_girl thanked Ken Wilkinson
  • Ann9BNCalif

Beautiful roses Helen! Burling is coming to speak at our rose society meeting in September about her propagation techniques. I'll ask about her about Stranger!

Here are some of my unusual, less known, or unavailable roses that I love.

David Austin Roses

Belle Story was discontinued a few years ago but I purchased it from Hortico. I love the scent and lovely golden stamens.

Happy Child which I got from Heirloom after it was discontinued by DA. I don't think it's available from Heirloom at this time. I love the compact size, cheerful yellow shade, nice fragrance, and it's a good bloomer.

Wise Portia has a lovely relaxed form, beautiful color, and pretty stamens when it opens. Got this from High Country Roses.

Fair Bianca from Hortico has a great scent and starts out with pink buds. I love the compact size.

Stripes

I bought Motley Clown (hybridized by Tom Leggett) from the East Bay Rose Society. In its second year it's producing these large sprays and may become climber.

Candice - I posted this photo on Facebook and got two Likes and positive comments from Ludwig and Anja Tascher. This rose typically blooms in a cluster of two or three but for some reason it produced this mega cluster LOL! The pics from Helen and Mustbnuts are more typical. :))

Peach Swirl available from a few local Bay Area nurseries - Alden Lane, Van Winden, and others.

Broceliande from Burling. Typically the rose is darker red with a white and cream background. Moderately fragrant too!

Will do a separate post with miniature roses!

Ann

bayarea_girl thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Paul Barden

"Striped Jocelyn", a sport of 'Jocelyn'.

bayarea_girl thanked Paul Barden
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Helen, you had to come up with this thread just when I was telling myself 'no new roses'! I'm jotting names down with almost every post. This is getting expensive. I'm going to have to get rid of a few old duds to make room for some of these gorgeous things. Beautiful thread, and thank you for opening my eyes to roses I've never heard of.

• Ann9BNCalif

Here are more unique roses.

Magnificent Perfume (Heirloom)

Augusta Luise (Palatine) in her first year in my garden.

Spiced Coffee can be quite variable (Heirloom)

Lavender Crystal (Burling)

Jersey Boy (For Love of Roses)

Swirly Pop (For Love of Roses)

Marriotta (Rogue Valley Roses)

Pink Poodle (Angel Gardens)

Might have a few more to post later.

Ann

bayarea_girl thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Ann9BNCalif

Here are the last ones.

Lavender Crush (local nursery)

Nicole Carol Miller (local nursery)

Portlandia (Heirloom)

St Ethelburga (Hortico)

Julia's Rose (Heirloom)

Suntan Beauty (Rogue Valley Roses)

Hope you liked the roses!

Ann

bayarea_girl thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Paul Barden

Stripes seem to be a persistent theme in this discussion, so......

This is "281-94-04", a later Ralph Moore stripe bred from 'Anytime' and 'Shadow Dancer'. This was never released in commerce, and I suspect there may only be three of us left who still have this rose. Ralph said this was a climber in Visalia, but for me it stays under 2.5 feet. It reminds me of some of the striped Camellias.

bayarea_girl thanked Paul Barden
  • Rockridge Rose

Green Romantica. Bought today

bayarea_girl thanked Rockridge Rose
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Paul, I love that Ralph Moore rose. Too bad it is not in production. Hmmmm, do you think Burling has it?

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Looking at all these exotic roses, I guess I have mundane tastes. None of my roses are particularly unusual. Not really "unique" but not a rose you see posted on the forum, is Alexandra, Princesse de Luxembourg. I'm debating removing her because the flowers are so susceptible to thrips.

bayarea_girl thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • Paul Barden

"Paul, I love that Ralph Moore rose. Too bad it is not in production. Hmmmm, do you think Burling has it?"

I very much doubt it - when Burling started her own nursery she collated a list of varieties she knew had clearly defined commercial value . Un-named Ralph Moore roses have an undetermined commercial value, as in Zero, until they are named. I believe only Texas A&M has naming rights for the Moore archive now.

bayarea_girl thanked Paul Barden
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Too bad. I would have loved to have had some of the roses he was using for breeding or was working on.

• sara_ann-z6bok

Some really gorgeous unique roses!

bayarea_girl thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Thanks Stephanie. I thought I had added pics last year for The Tooth Fairy, but apparently only with my comments. It's even bigger and better this year making just a froth of a shrub, constantly blooming. I'm surprised more people don't grow MmeNLV as she's so great and continues to bloom all summer. I have multiples of this rose, but a couple are about 100 yrs old. including that pictured. They are hardy and take neglect, but will BS if not fed.

bayarea_girl thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • roseseek

Had TAMU or any of their "partner nurseries" any interest at all in naming or introducing any of the Moore roses, I would have thought they would have done it in the decade-plus they've had them. The few I had like that, I passed on to John Bagnasco for the CCRS and their auctions. They were pretty flowers, or interesting sepals, or genetically interesting and fun to study, but eventually you have to value them the way the rest of the world does and treat them accordingly.

bayarea_girl thanked roseseek
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I would mention tangentially, that John Bagnasco is the breeder of the Tooth Fairy. I would love to have more of his roses if they're anything like this one.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Vap, I think he bred Tangerine Streams which used to be commercially available. I generally don't like orange roses but this one seems very pretty.

• Paul Barden

Sadly, I think Kim is right - if TAMU was seriously interested in releasing any of the test seedlings from the Moore archive, we'd have seen action on it by now. I think its a huge loss to the community of growers that these roses are now locked away in a stagnant archive. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not.

bayarea_girl thanked Paul Barden
  • roseseek

Unfortunately, I'm confident you are not wrong, Paul. There is only one instance of someone inquiring about introducing one of his roses and that was met with a "sure, go ahead!" Occasionally, another of his unreleased or given away things surfaces and we name and start spreading them around. The two latest were Moore Bouquet and "Fire'n Spice" . I'm sure there are MANY more of his roses out there which haven't surfaced. He gave away SO much.

bayarea_girl thanked roseseek
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Roseseek, how do you think Moore Bouquet would hold up in z5/6, if, of course, I could ever find it? Mr. Moore's name has been familiar to me since the 1970's when I would read the Roses of Yesterday and Today catalogs cover to cover. There was always a mention of Mr. Moore, his contributions to rose breeding, and how admired and respected he was.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Stephanie, thanks for the heads-up. I posted a few pics for both TF and MmeNLeV on HMF. These are such great roses that really enliven a space and provide a certain sweetness. with the single blooms and small pompons.

• Paul Barden

"Occasionally, another of his unreleased or given away things surfaces and we name and start spreading them around."

@Kim,

If TAMU has that attitude towards naming the roses Ralph spread around (like what you and I have in our collections) then I am inclined to get on that train and get a couple of them properly named. I think a rose as important as 0-47-19 ought to have a proper name at this point. There are several others that come to mind....

bayarea_girl thanked Paul Barden
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Oh, I can't believe my eyes when I click on a name that are in numbers on HMF like 0-47-19 .
    That is unbelievable ! I agree it should have a name or something not numbers. I would not have known about this this at all. Thanks Paul for putting up the link.
    I think every rose should have a name esp the trial is done . That should be the next step.
    jin

bayarea_girl thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • roseseek

I'm sorry, flowersaremusic, I doubt it would survive in that cold of a zone. It's a very large climber and there is nothing to indicate it would have any greater cold hardiness than your average modern rose.

I fully agree with you, Paul. 1-72-1 is another which comes to mind requiring a proper name. I have a flourishing one and the one I gave to Kippy in Santa Barbara is HUGE. You should see her MORsoul (String of Pearls)! I guaranty you Mr. Moore had NO idea it would get THAT large and it tip roots everywhere! Her Moore Bouquet is eating her side yard! 0-47-19 is one I mourn losing in the move to the Central Coast. I have several climbers and ramblers I bred from it, but having it back again would be fun and useful. Everyone with whom I shared it, has either lost it or died. Quite a recommendation, isn't it?

bayarea_girl thanked roseseek
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Thank you, Kim, it surely is beautiful. I'm happy to know it is thriving and being appreciated by others who care and will preserve it as well as other rare, unnamed and somewhat lost roses of days gone by.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

So, since we have moved on to this topic, can you tell me something I have wanted to know? When a rose has moved into an archive, how is it stored? Is it the whole plant? Just one plant that they try to keep alive (that would be thousands of plants), the pollen (but then it would have to cross with another plant to make a new one and it wouldn't be the original plant), just a genetic tissue culture? What is in there and how do they store it?

• Paul Barden

Kim,

I still have a large specimen of 1-72-1 (which is surprising, in that it survived a week of MINUS 7F temps during the 2015 Polar Vortex, in a large pot) and I still have "String of Pearls" (though not so large, since its still in a pot). I also have a plant of 0-47-19 which I propagated last year. Its available if you want it.

Paul

bayarea_girl thanked Paul Barden
  • roseseek

Someone, somewhere has to grow the plant and maintain it. You grow roses, so you are aware of all that entails. If you're talking about dozens, hundreds or more varieties, imagine the cost... That's what gardens such as Foundation Plant Services must do. Unless someone pays for the land, water, supplies, labor, how can you do it?

Thank you, Paul! Yes, please? I would LOVE an 0-47-19. I will email you my address and happily reimburse you however much you wish for it. I can easily receive it any time you wish to send it. Thank you!

bayarea_girl thanked roseseek
  • Paul Barden

@Kim,

Will do!

bayarea_girl thanked Paul Barden
  • sabalmatt_tejas

I have a thriving plant of ‘Moore Bouquet’ that I’ll be happy to share cuttings of when the weather is better (cooler in TX) for sending cuttings.

bayarea_girl thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • roseseek

Wonderful, Matt! Thank you! What do you think about it and how does it perform for you?

bayarea_girl thanked roseseek
  • mas_loves_roses1

Gorgeous blooms! They are all beautiful to me!

bayarea_girl thanked mas_loves_roses1
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Memphis music to bed it doesn't stay looking like that it turns a really liver colored after a couple of days

bayarea_girl thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • bayarea_girl

Black Baccara (MEIdebenne), bred by Jacques Mouchotte (France, before 2000) and introduced in US (2002). This rose can change its velvet color from dark red to almost black when there's less sun. This is one of the roses that can be in the "black" rose category. This rose has good health and repeats well in my garden. Helen

• bayarea_girl

Alakazam, bred by Robert B. Martin, Jr. (US, 2015) is a mini-flora which has yellow blooms with dark red stripes. Many people said it looks the same as Simsalabim (KORsimsala), a very rare rose, and I agree with them. Here are some pics of Alakazam in my garden.

Grand Old Opry (Welopry), a miniflora rose, bred by Verlie W., Jr. Wells (2009) and introduced in US (2009). The 2.5-inch blooms have yellow base with red and yellow stripes with moderate fragrance. It's very healthy and repeats well in my garden.

Pandemonium (MACpandem/Claire Rayner/Pan), miniature rose, bred by by Samuel Darragh McGredy IV (1982), introduced in New Zealand by McGredy Roses International (1988). The beautiful blooms have yellow and orange-red stripes with mild, musk fragrance. I just got this rose from Rogue Valley Roses, and this is the first bloom. I like it a lot. Helen

• bayarea_girl

Ann, I love your Pink Poodle pic. I checked AngelGardens website and didn't see Pink Poodle. How did you place your order for Pink Poodle? Helen

• Ann9BNCalif

Hi Helen - PP is available from For Love of Roses and appears to be in stock so I would try there first.

A few years ago I happened to ask Pam at Angel Gardens if she had it and she said yes but you have to be on a waiting list so it took awhile but I eventually got it. Later I met Burling and arranged to send her a cutting earlier this spring so she might have it too by now. Hope you get PP since it grows well. It’s always one of the very first roses to bloom each spring and keeps on going. Mine is in the ground but it should be great in a pot, especially under your care. :))

Ann

bayarea_girl thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • bayarea_girl

Thanks Ann. I contacted Richard from Forloveofroses to see if he has it in stock so it can be shipped it with one of the back orders. Helen

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Helen. I am crazy about your Black Baccara . My favorite color of all the roses is that black red.

I would definitely buy a pot for that rose unless it's a huge 6' rose

• bayarea_girl

Kristine, it will look great in your garden. I think it is a very special rose. Since you plan to have it in a pot, you can control how dark the blooms look by where you place the pot. If you put the pot in a morning sun location to make sure the rose in good health but not too much sun, you will get darker blooms. Helen

• sabalmatt_tejas

Kim- regarding ‘Moore Bouquet’ it has been heat tolerant, disease resistant, and vigorous. It’s growing in a dry area- i added drip irrigation this year and it has taken off and I can now see that it will be huge! I like the fragrance and can detect the moschata like scent. ‘Pink poodle’ has grown well also.

bayarea_girl thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • roseseek

Marvelous! Thanks Matt! I'm glad they are doing well for you. Now, if you're interested, Paul has sent Mr. Moore's 0-47-19, the Wichurana X Floradora spring flowering rambler. It's the seed parent to Paul's magnificent Mel's Heritage. It roots EXTREMELY easily and is fertile both ways (hint,hint) and cuttings will be available by spring, should you be interested.....

bayarea_girl thanked roseseek
  • Matthew Gandin

I consider this rose unique because I don’t know anyone else who grows it. Spice Twice was a J&P test rose from the ‘90’s, I inherited the plant when I bought my house, the previous owner had planted it, and it luckily still had the metal tag on it. For a few years until I saw the tag, I thought they it might be Fragrant Cloud, but it has a much more subtle fragrance. It is one of my most prolific roses, I’m currently trying to propagate some cutting as to share this beauty with others.

bayarea_girl thanked Matthew Gandin