sabalmatt_tejas

HEB ‘mangave’ alert

sabalmatt_tejas

Yesterday I stopped at the HEB in Kyle that has a TX Backyard plant area. I found they are selling four types of mangaves in qt size pots for $3.98 each. They had: spotty dottie, Pineapple Express, ink blot, and moonglo. Mangave is a hybrid of agave x manfreda which have soft, rubbery feeling leaves with color and spots. Plant Delights Nursery is selling three of these varieties for $23 each for qt size plants.

• Vulture61

Thanks, Matt! How hardy are they?

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Oh my gosh, just yesterday I was looking and longing for some of those at Mountain Crest Gardens, an online retail and wholesale California nursery.

Succulents and More, one of my favorite blogs, recently did a post on the nursery. None of the HEBs here ever have anything good like that.

If you or Omar are coming to the San Antonio swap I'd ask you to do me a big favor and bring one or two of each.

Omar, a couple of those varieties are described on the link as zone 9, hardy to 20 degrees. Eric has several varieties planted in the ground at his place. I'll ask him how they are doing. But I'd be willing to take a risk with them.

• Vulture61

I’ll go this evening.

Omar

• Vulture61

Ragna, somebody got lucky

I’ll PM you to coordinate the delivery.

Omar

• sabalmatt_tejas

Yay! Those look great. I’ve grown ‘macho mocha’ & ‘spotty dottie’ in Dallas and they‘ve been cold hardy there. I always admire them on Plant Delights website, but only ordered one from them this year - ‘kaleidoscope’ (due to their cost). They make awesome container plants.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Omar -- WOW -- the size of those plants! As the 'godfather' you get the first offsets; unless of course you got some for yourself. Much appreciation!

Matt, Kaleidoscope is a beauty and well worth the price. Plant Delights is a great resource not only for the plants, but for their information on the different mangave cultivars.

Thank you for the HEB Mangave Alert. Not so sure Omar appreciates it since he got roped into picking up some for me ... Oh well. That's what he gets for being a nice guy -- most of the time ;-)

• Vulture61

Believe it or not, I behaved and didn’t get any mangave for me. It didn’t make my heart sing.

Yeah, thanks a lot, Matt (kidding)

Omar