bethany_schmidt43

how to add a double oven

Bks

Hi. We would like to add a double oven and I’m trying to figure out the best way to do that. Do I love the microwave and have a cubby built in the corner or under a cabinet or do I put the microwave over the double oven. Or - do I get an Advantium or other type of speed cool/convention microwave oven? Other ideas welcome!!!

GreenDesigns

There already appears to be a surplus of ovens in that kitchen.

• Bks

There is only 1 oven and a microwave above it.

• Bks

That's a refrigerator on the right.

GreenDesigns

Then replace the cooktop with a range, and leave the current oven and microwave alone. But you really need a better layout and should think about a complete redo. Never ever do any triple stack. They’re Dangerously high.

• Bks

What is wrong with the layout? I actually like the induction cooktop. But- I'm open to suggestions!

• chloebud

Oops...I thought the fridge was an oven, too. Wouldn't a microwave over a double oven be awfully high...?

• Bks

Kind of like this

• Bks

Or a corner cubby thing similar to this.

Bks thanked GreenDesigns
  • Bks

I've seen that....but didn't know if it would be a turnoff for resale....

• chloebud

Bks, that's what I pictured with the mic on top of a double oven. I think it would be too high...and I'm tall. That GE oven wouldn't thrill me as a potential buyer, but it certainly wouldn't be a deal-breaker. The question is how do YOU like it?

I wouldn't worry too much about resale. Buyers are likely to change much of what you do anyway. When we bought our current home the kitchen appliances were all stainless except one of the wall ovens was white. It looked ridiculous but didn't faze me much. Not going to let a nice house slip away for an appliance issue we could fix.

The Cook's Kitchen

For resale? Don't do anything. Get a Breville if you really need a second oven. But don't spend a dime on on new wiring and remaking cabinets. And do NOT do any MW over a double oven. Ever. It's a huge safety hazard that would be an instant warning from a home inspector.

• Bks

I’m not doing this for resale- I’m doing it bc we want to update our kitchen and I’d love a double oven. I just want to consider resale when spending thousands...if there is something that’s a definite “no” then I’d probably not do it.

• chloebud

Definite no would be the mic on top of a double oven. Not a fan of the cubby in the corner. Do you have the space not shown in your photo for under counter?

• Bks

No- this is all the space we have.....what do you think of the Advantium micro/convection oven combinations?

GreenDesigns

How much budget are you willing to spend to get a second oven? 5K? 10K? 15K? Remember that electrician’s are among the most expensive of trades to ever have to need, and that you will need new electrical runs for different setups.

What kind of cooking do you do now that you cant do in your current setup? Baking? Roasting? Dehydrating? Bread proofing? What is the exact lack? What workaround are you doing now to fill that lack?

Do you need more than one oven more than three times a week? Once a week? Once a month? Three times a year? How many times will you actually use it in year?

You haven't yet described what actual benefit that you hope to derive from this project. Or what resources that you are willing to commit to get it done.

• Bks

I'd like to spend less than $6K on the appliances alone. I bake and roast mostly. Usually I'm baking something for dinner and need to roast some vegetables and have to do it in 2 batches. I would probably use a double oven 2 times a week. I also am looking to update my kitchen through this process. I was using a cuisinart toaster/airfryer as a workaround (to roast the vegetables) but it died.

• Oliviag/ bring back Sophie

my air fryer uses less power than firing up the oven for zucchini boats. I think it was around 100 dollars at costco.

• Helen

Based on reviews by users on this forum, the Advantium would be the way to go as you would have a microwave plus a standard oven in a relatively compact place. Your wiring should probably be sufficient - based on my recent remodel, I was required to have each appliance on a separate breaker circuit per Code but you already presumably have the microwave and oven on separate circuits. My understanding is that you need the larger higher voltage model.

I do think that a Breville oven would be the least expensive alternative. If you read the reviews of the larger models, they do replace functionality of an oven in terms of capacity and what is cooked there. The con is of course that it is a space hog since it wold either sit on your counter or else you would have to shlep it back and forth when needed. Again, the larger capacity models require higher electrical requirements.

As was suggested, you could replace your cooktop with a range. You could buy a high end induction stove with large convection oven. It would seem that would be the most cost effective way to achieve your goal since it could probably be retrofitted where the cooktop is. You would of course be losing storage capacity which you now have under the cooktop.

• live_wire_oak

Are you redoing your cabinets and counters then? Because you’d be changing a lot to do this. If you’re changing all of that, you might as well move things around for better flow and function.

• acm

Or get a range with a double oven built in, and take the current tower for extra storage!!

• weedmeister

Go for the Advantium.

• sheepla

I'm a huge fan of double ovens but I like your oven microwave set up like it is. I like the idea of keeping what you have and adding a range to have that second oven when needed.