ben_tso

2020 NEW Roses - USA

A thread for NEW rose varieties for 2020

• Tina_Dallas

I thought Colette is a climber. Please review on perfume breeze since I passed them up recently at Lowes and I will not pay full price.. hoping for clearance .. envious of yall prices!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Ben, I will be most happy to ask about Scentuous and MIP for you! Wednesday is the soonest I can go, and hope that will happen. I have been to Tyler 3 times in the last 2 weeks! I got Perfume Breeze at Lowes, also Raspberry Kiss, which I saw 1 of at the trailer sale. Havent planted Perfume Breeze yet - it reminds me of a noisette, seems healthy so far. If I go.......I will start early, hit Certified first then go on to Chamblees so will have more time to browse. Really, I have most of what Chamblees has, so probably wont get much there. I cant recall if they had any own root MIP left........but the one I got in the spring is super healthy. I cut it back as it was tall, repotted and its now putting out a bunch of new leaves. I think this is going to be a really healthy rose.

Are you getting the Sahara Dust in Dallas? It was very overcast yesterday and there was a cloudy haze like fog in the distance when we were driving.

What do you think of my new curtains?

So we ended up picking up this at Home Depot. Tried to convince hubby to pick out something more flashy we are still happy with it. Got some fixtures for the bathrooms as well... One halogen style and one wave style. We may have to return one of the other fixtures but at least it updates our look and they were a good price... We did see a drum and some crystal style chandeliers but they were more expensive. Thanks everyone for the help with paint ideas as well. I'll get back to you with an update on those as well.

Displaying objects in small home

Ladma, I am sorry you got that end of hurricane Zeta as snow. And your roses were so pretty last week! Lia, you have been quite busy :) Today the temperatures dipped down into the 50s, so I had to get out my long pants and long sleeve blouses. I even turned the heat on. Boy did it stink up the condo. We finally moved back into the beach condo yesterday,and I am very happy to see my favorite ocean. This morning the dolphin entertained me as I ate my breakfast. It was four weeks in the house. The house is very lovely and a nice place to stay. But I am all about the beach! :)

Crossroads Cafe

Glad to hear from you peeps who have been MIA...Badger, that is tough, for sure. I am hoping it doesn’t crank back up here in NS. Recently we had 10 surfers down here at this beach... from Quebec and they didn’t self isolate for two weeks when they came into the province, which they are supposed to do. It was so annoying. There they were out and about in our community, two days after arriving here. The province is supposed to be locked down but of course the borders aren’t shut; they rely on people’s goodwill to do the right thing. Let me tell you the locals jumped all over them and reported them. The RCMP visited them a few times and then they packed up and left. We’ve worked so hard to keep our caseload low and Quebec is a real Canadian hotspot. Then the Quebec surfers come here and figure they can have a vacation! To say that local people were annoyed is an understatement.

Terrible Experience with Caesarstone

Found this thread online after searching issues with Caeserstone's various "concrete" countertop options. We installed Sleek Concrete just over a year ago and have had issues from the start. Not talking the visible fingerprints, grease marks, or water spots (which also are incredibly annoying), but the actual quality and durability of the overall product. We have year-long saga of multiple Caeserstone reps examining the product for obvious discoloration and scratch marks (span to week 1 of having it), deliberating the warranty and replacement of the product, to no avail. It's been a complete waste of time - the reps are sent out to make you feel like something will be done, but seems there is zero accountability from the top down. Worse, Caeserstone continues to sell what seems to be an obvious faulty product, still promising that it's high-grade and scratch resistant. The latest issue - using the Soft Scrub they recommend to clean a small area. We followed their given instruction and the area is now very obviously discolored. But this is just one of many disappointments and frustrations over the course of the last year with this countertop. All that to say, if you're someone that likes and enjoys using your kitchen, Caeserstone's concrete options are not recommended. I would go further and say to look for a different manufacturer altogether because the company is unethical and complacent in their troubleshooting and handling of customer issues.
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Thanks Judith, much appreciated. It’s a bit hazy here, I think we’re on the edge of the dust storm.

AA186-7, the new J&P intro, has put out many huge, heavy petalled blooms, I’ve been very impressed:

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Beautiful ben !! Yours looks nicer than mine did . Does yours have killer thorns too ? I’ll admit . I was impatient and I pitched mine already . I just knew if it kept growing those thorns would only get bigger and I personally found the ginormous blooms gaudy . 🤔🤦🏼‍♀️

• faye

Thank you Judith &BenT. I went there this early morning and got a lot!! Junior was very nice, he helped me pick out good ones.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

BenT (and others) - what's your impression of Arctic Blue, one of the fairly new roses? I passed on, but then saw Lilyfinch's photos and now am re-thinking that one...

BTW - my Scentuous blooms right now are balling. We've had several days straight of the June Gloom and overnight drizzle, followed by a couple of hours of patchy sunshine at best. My Julie Andrews, however, has really put on the gas growth-wise, and is getting bigger than I expected. Several new buds, so hoping for a great show soon. And Moonlight in Paris is slow to re-bloom, but I think I was crowding it with another plant (which I removed yesterday) - but the bush is large, healthy, vigorous. All three of these were brand new for me in January, bare-root. I'm just so impressed at the health and vigor of these new roses!!! :-) You must get Scentous and JA and MiP!

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Jen,

My AA186-7 is a Stegosaurus , big thorns spaced wide apart. I find stegosaurus to be relatively docile creatures. Porcupines (lots of barbed thorns like Gertrude Jekyll) and Battle Lances (so studded with thorns, barely see the canes, like George Burns) are much more aggressive. Unfortunately Sphinx Kittens (smooth cuddly like Barbra Streisand) are hard to come by.

Faye,

I’m so glad you got to visit the trailer sale. What did you get?

Deborah,

I agree some of these breeders have been working very hard to improve health and vigor, and many of these newer varieties are indeed much improved. I don’t personally grow Arctic Blue because fragrance is only slight, but when I’ve seen it at public gardens it appears heavy blooming and healthy.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Perfume Factory today, has been holding up in the heat very well, with strong scent.

Judith

Hope you have a great return to Tyler!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Thanks Ben! Not going today, hopefully tomorrow. I looked at list of Certified roses - they have Scentuous and Moonlight in Paris listed - will ask Junior if they actually have them, in back. So maybe if you get a chance to go back up, you might want to get them there rather than Chamblees. I hope to go tomorrow.......and will ask Junior about these roses and let you know. Hand Nursery is closing for the summer, July 3 is their last day and plan to hit Certified, Harris and Hand nurseries.

• faye

Ben. I got JFK, Chicago peace, savannah, heirloom, Chrysler imperial, peace, Chicago peace, double delight, medallion, shirley’s bouquet.
    JFK vs Shirley’s bouquet, which one do you think it is doing better in here?

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

That’s a nice selection of roses, Faye! I think Shirley’s Bouquet would be a far superior rose here to JFK. JFK is blackspot prone and also has trouble forming petals in hot weather. From what I’ve seen of SB ,she looks very free blooming and relatively healthy.

• faye

Thank you! Ben. how about honeymoon and colette? I think I saw colette only once in person. I like the smell. do you recommend them?

also do you know how long does the flatbed sale ends?

Thank you!

• faye

Anyone can ID this 2 roses?
    Coral color and very fragrant, could be "touch of class"?
    Light purple with moderately fragrant, could be "blue girl"
    both hybrid tea I think
    Thank you!!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Faye I super recommend Colette . Top 5 rose if you ask me !!

Ben your perfume factory looks nice!! Mine also is blooming .

You are right those thorns were indeed like a stegosaurus. lol I’m glad you have such pretty blooms though . Maybe I was hasty but no regrets .

Here’s the other Jackson and Perkins no name .

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Beautiful new roses, Jen! I think our Perfume Factories look quite similar. Your J&P pink is prettier than their promotional pics. I can’t believe you shoveled the Jolly Yellow Giant!

Faye,

I’m going back to the trailer sale tomorrow, will ask how long they do it. I’ve not grown Colette myself, but they have many nice big plants of it at Harris nursery, a few blocks down from Certifed. Your lavender rose could be Le Petit Prince.

• rosecanadian

Lilyfinch and Ben - that's an amazing color on Perfume Factory! Looks like it's a great flower producer.

Lilyfinch - I really love that pink rose too...so romantic!!

• Diane Brakefield

Colette? Did someone mention Colette? It's one of my favorite roses and is always the first to bloom in my garden. In fact, she was so much earlier with her flush this year, I was afraid none of my other roses would ever catch up with her. She's still blooming, in fact. If you live in a cold zone, Colette is very cold hardy, and a new plant will take off very fast, blooming the first year, which some climbers don't do, I've heard. Diane

• Nick 10bSW17

Here are a few of my 2020/21s, I had to break the post up bc of Houzz.

Marc Chagall- I don't think it has had a spot of PM yet this year vs 96% of my other roses, and seems quick to rebloom. I just wish it had a fragrance to match its looks.

Fun In the Sun- at this point the only good thing I can say about it is the fragrance is nice. I have two plants and both have been duds at fully blooming. This is the only rose I have where the blooms rot or split at the side rather than opening. It must need more heat than the 60/70s it gets. The bottom bloom is the first I have had that‘s opened 100% on its own, both are in full sun. I’m hoping it gets it together.

• Nick 10bSW17

Enchanted Peace- I haven’t grown any of the Peace family, but it is supposed to be a better version of Love & Peace in fragrance and repeat. I hardly get any fragrance, the blooms seem to fade quickly, and the repeat seems slow at this point- over a month. It is very narrow and upright with super glossy foliage.

Scentuous- my only complaint is some of the blooms nod and need to be held up to photograph.

• Nick 10bSW17

Stiletto- I don’t love it or hate it. The color doesn’t significantly fade, the repeat is decent, and the fragrance is medium to medium strong.

Queen of Elegance- it was slow to establish for me, and I’ve only had a couple of blooms so far. I think it’s pretty, but the color seems to fade quickly.

JP AA1867- I’m enjoying this giant. The blooms are massive, they don‘t fade significantly, they last a good amount of time, and seem to repeat well.

I’m still waiting for the first blooms of Julie Andrews and Perfume Factory.😑

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Faye, I don’t think your lavender is Blue Girl. The fragrance should be STRONG and even for me in my crappy for roses yard the blooms get huge.

• faye

hi. Ben. How is trailer sale today? What roses do they have now? I am thinking may go back too.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Hope to hear from Ben.........I was planning to go today too but had to haul a sick horse to my equine vet in Bryan instead. Tried to call them to see if they will be open tomorrow, so looking forward to hearing what you got Ben and if you know if they will be open tomorrow. They have been open 7 days/wee previously.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

@BenT (8a Dallas, TX) - Your thoughts toward end of season on Perfume Factory? Anyone else?

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Yes, Deborah, I grew Perfume Factory and it was great! Lots of blooms, quick repeat , very fragrant. Color is a lavender shaded deep pink, lightens as it ages.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

I like mine too! It’s like a perfumed plum perfect , I found it holds its color very nice inside in a vase as well . Is it a hybrid tea , gotta check bc mine grows like one . All in all I have enjoyed this rose very much

• Nick 10bSW17

I liked mine when it decided to finally bloom, it was slow getting going, but I think I’m to blame for that. The fragrance reminded me of lilac, I’m curious to find out if it keeps that fragrance, or if that changes as it ages. Health seems good in my cool coastal climate, no rust or PM.

The picture is from the end of August, the lighter bloom shows a good example of the color change.

• rosecanadian

Nick - oooooh!!!! I love it!!!

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Nick

My clusters look very similar to yours, to me it smells more of lemon and rose, and definitely a strong scent.

Jen

I’m surprised its classified as a HT, I see it more a floribunda /grandiflora. To me Weeks is inttroducing a bunch of really excellent roses that fit the mold of Julia Child...heavy flowering , fast repeat, bushy vigorous relatively easy care,, mostly with very good fragrance. Pefume Factory, Like No Other, Fun in the Sun, Queen of Elegance all have these qualities.

@Diane Brakefield that is a real beauty!!

can you show me a picture from further back to see it’s climbing growth? How much does it grow per year, say if I plant in spring how much growth will occur through The fall?

• Diane Brakefield

• Diane Brakefield

Thanks, HU. The first photo above isn't very good. It's a horizontal shot of Colette in her second season (2014), She's growing toward the arbor and starting her upward climb. The second photo shows her two years later in 2016 going up and over the arbor. The third photo is this year showing a side view as she goes over the arch. The biggest growth each year are in tons of laterals growing from the main canes. They can be easily trimmed. Because of my age, I'm not climbing stepladders anymore, and it's gotten difficult to guilt my son in law into doing the trimming, so right now Colette looks like a wild woman. Somehow she will get her haircut before winter. I think Colette is quite vigorous in my zone 7. There is never a hint of dieback from cold. What is your zone? Diane

@Diane Brakefield wow! im in love! now I’m having doubts, since I already ordered lady of the lake but Colette is such a beauty! I love her the way she is now!

Im in zone 6b/7

what’s your feeding schedule?

• rosecanadian

Diane - !!! !!! !!! Unbelievable!!! :) :)

• steve_gw

My new rose - RBG - Mini Flora

Wisconsin Roses

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked steve_gw
  • rosecanadian

Steve - I love that!! Quilled roses are beautiful IMO...and that one is really lovely!!!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Did JP AA1867 end up being Life of the Party? I think I recall them naming it. It's such a pretty soft yellow. The only newer rose I got this year was Moonlight in Paris. Unlike everyone else's mine is a BS and had lousy blooms once I put it in the ground. It must need more than I'm giving it or just needs time. The latest bloom was a beauty though and finally fragrant. I think I took a pic. Will look in a bit.

Edit: I just now saw the post naming it Larger Than Life.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

New 2020 roses I bought this year are Queen of Elegance, Marc Chagall and Moonlight in Paris. They have lived up to every expectation. Queen of E has a slightly dusky, earthy deep pink. Not quite as bloomy as the other two, but I shouldn't judge by her first year. Marc C's blooms open slowly and range from striped to ombre, some almost like Double Delight and some similar to Candice. I love the surprise of every bloom looking a little different. Moonlight in P blooms also vary from yellow to pink to cream and last forever on the bush and in the vase. All three have very nice fragrance.

Queen of Elegance - more muted in person.

Moonlight in Paris

Marc Chagall

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Those are some exquisite pictures. I'm going to have some soft words of encouragement with my MiP.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Thanks, Vapor, but i goofed. Moonlight in Paris isn't a new 2020 introduction, which I'm sure you knew. HalloBlondie grew it in her z4 and recommended it a couple years ago.

I almost always buy own root bands, but these were big, 3 and 5 gal roses, so they had a good start already. If your MiP is a baby band, I'm sure she just needs time.

• Diane Brakefield

Oh, Flowers, you're up late tonight like Carol and me. As usual, your rose photos are stunners, but boyo, that Moonlight in Paris is one gorgeous rose. I just love those subtle color blends. And Queen of Elegance is like its name. I love her color, too. Is she anything like Louise Odier (I know LO is an antique), but they remind me of each other. How big is Louise for you? Do you like her? Anyway, I just wish I had some of these newer roses. I need a jolt of newness and Moonlight in P, and Q of E are really wonderful. Diane

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Oh so pretty! MiP is the only one I have and she just went into the ground so no blooms until spring. I’m thinking I might need that Queen tho...how is the fragrance?

• strawchicago

Flowers (Andrea): I love every single pic. you post. Very high-quality blooms & lots of petals. Will look for those as grafted-on-Dr.Huey at local store. I'm tempted to order roses from Regan nursery, but the last time I ordered from them, Young Lycidas died in its 1st winter as grafted-on-Dr.Huey.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Diane, my sleep schedule is a mess. I've been trying to get more sleep, but it's just not natural for me.

You would definitely like QofE. MinP is more cream with pink or yellow center in the hottest part of summer and becoming more colorful in cooler weather, or less sun. Both are petal packed! They did a good job on these names. There are a few we would all like to rename.

Louise Odier was the tiniest band I've ever seen. Carol wanted me to give it another year before bringing it home, but I figured she could grow here as well as there. That may have been a mistake. Then, I got her planted late because I couldn't decide on the spot. Her height is estimated 3' to 10'. She definitely won't be 10' here, but I've been surprised before.

Tina, the Queen has what I would call old fashioned, medium strong fragrance. Not as strong as Strawberry Hill, for example, who I have in the house right now, and can smell in the next room. Koko Loco was used in the breeding, so that's where her slightly dusky color comes from. I don't notice it in every bloom, but it's there.

Straw, thank you! I'm sure mine are also grafted on Huey. I'd never ordered from Regan before this year and was surprised they sent bare roots cut so short I didn't see how they could live. They were no more than 4" long. All survived, so I can't complain.

• Diane Brakefield

So Flowers, is Q of E or Luise Odier the preferred one? What about bloom size and frequency of blooming between these two? And how does Leonardo da Vinci rank among these when he is factored in? I've sworn to get one new rose this coming spring--that's it. Plus finally transplanting my very much liked Rouge Royale. Thanks for the above info, and I hope your sleep schedule gets un-mixed up. There's no changing me after a lifetime of being a night owl, often to my detriment. It runs in my dad's family. Diane

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Diane, Louise Odier is so tiny, I won't know how she compares to the Queen until next year, maybe longer. She's only about 6" tall at the moment, no blooms. I think she is lighter in color, and probably stronger in fragrance, and definitely a bigger bush for you, but will report on that next year.

Hard to compare Leo to other roses. He's so uniform in bush shape and bloom shape and has definite flushes when the whole bush blooms at once, then nothing before the next meager flush. He seems very regimented and orderly. Hard to put into words. He seems as though he's on some kind of schedule and doesn't deviate from it. I wonder if the brilliant artist had a personality like that. I wouldn't think so from the little I've read about him.

The sleep thing is in my genes, too. We're just wired that way and there's little hope of changing it. I keep reading about the importance of sleep for every organ, especially brain and heart, so I keep trying, but it doesn't come naturally. I can only do it for a few nights, then I slip right back into what feels natural. I'm worthless until afternoon, but get so much done after midnight when I feel more alive. Do you notice any changes when there's a full moon? Maybe we have a problem worse than sleep deprivation.

• Diane Brakefield

Flowers, we're natural witches and our special time is coming in a few days-ha. Actually, I haven't noticed any changes when there's a full moon, but then I never pay much attention to the moon because trees and our tall house blocks so much of the sky where the moon hangs out. I do know that my dad and his brother were terrible night owls, and it was hard on my dad because didn't have much choice--he had to get up. I think the fact that we're still alive and able to garden says that our hearts and brains are doin' OK. I never worry about what sleep experts say, because yadda yadda-- as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the info on Louise. I thought yours was a larger, more mature plant. I await with interest on how she does next year. I don't think Leo da V was much for schedules, but I'm just guessing. His personal life is pretty mysterious to us. I don't think a lot is known about him. I was pretty sure the Leo rose was one on a schedule. The blooming bush just looks like it. Diane

• rosecanadian

Well, well...another night owl!! :) Diane, me and Flowers! Well, people like us have kept our ancestors alive. We were the ones that would stay up for part of the night and be on the look out for predators! There was a purpose for us to be hard-wired to be night owls...not much of a reason now...but we were useful before agriculture. :) It is a proud honor that has been bestowed upon us by our genetic legacy. My mom's family are all night owls. It does get wacky once in awhile when I get over-tired. We just need to take naps once in awhile. To make it official (being a night owl) I have the climbing rose Night Owl. Okay...that must be a record for using the words "night owl" in one paragraph! :)

Flowers - did you post those pictures in another thread? I'm just asking because I know I've told you how wonderful they are!! But my comments aren't here. Well, I'll comment again...those roses (and you) are worth it! I love your MiP!!! I just looked it up, and it has one review for fragrance...excellent. Do you agree with that? It's amazing how Marc Chagall can vary so much!! You wouldn't even guess it's the same rose! It's gorgeous!!! I love the way you describe QoE's fragrance "slightly dusky, earthy, deep pink"!!! And, oh my!!!! Those are stunning flowers!! Much nicer than mine were. But I'm expecting better next year.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Diane, as long as we've lived here, we've never had a single Trick or Treater. Too far off the road and too dark - no street lights. I used to buy candy, but after years of eating it all myself, I don't buy it anymore.

Carol, all or most of those photos were on another thread. Yes, Mme Isaac Pereire has excellent fragrance!! She gets fungal problems even in this dry climate and her canes are hard to control, but I can't give her up because of her blooms and fragrance. There's always hope for a better season next year, right? Everything I do for the roses, I feel is for next year. Marc C is always different. I like him best when he looks like Candice, which is what the tag looks like.

• rosecanadian

Flowers - that is SO true!!! I was talking to my husband about the "next year will be better" thinking. He said that everyone with a passion has those thoughts...golfers (next season, I'll do so much better), etc. It is great to have a passion, isn't it!!