BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
August 15, 2019

A thread for NEW rose varieties for 2020

Comments (126)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Great. didn't ... KKnKnoKnow

• Dave6aMO

Haha! Very true, Ben!

Thanks for the shipping info, Ben and Helen. I’ll probably still go with Regan since they have the others I want.

• Related Discussions

Suggest external paint colors please

Q

Comments (51)
    Why not get a white metal roof to go with the white trim? The white will go a long way in brightening the siding, and you could get white shutters and paint other trim white to match. Personally, I love all the porches and would keep them. The largest porch especially would be wonderful for an extra entertainment area in the summer.
    ...See More

OLLD 5-30

Q

Comments (189)
    Does eye rolling count as "listening"??? Unfortunately, my medically qualified one is the worst, too much knowledge is not always good. My doctor, who knows her well, and I have a lot of laughs. It does take a while to get the hang of builders. Is the one that didn't sent the estimate too busy - which could mean he is good and popular, or is he just lazy and/or inefficient. Conversely, is the one who sent the estimate, efficient and thorough or desperate for work which could also mean he isn't very good. It is a minefield. Keep getting estimates and hopefully a pattern will emerge. I'm sorry I can't be of help.
    ...See More

What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help

Q

Comments (10002)
    I just recently found out about our Dear Spencer. I am so sad. She had great design sense and knew her style!. I got her. I am so very sorry that I never got to see her of which she invited us several times. We couldn't wait to help her here on houzz and I got excited to see where her creativity would take her next! I am so happy that I wore leopard pants in honour of her, when many of us met in Nashville where she had tried to join us. I had talked to her several times and felt she was a good friend. She is missed! My love to her family!
    ...See More

need ideas for plantings around a lake house in new hampshire.

Q

Comments (2)
    New Hamsphire USA is cold terriority. I know bc we live in Connecticut USA and you are very slightly north from us. We like our hostas and rose bushes but hostas completely die down in winter but come back. The rose bush looks like dead in winter but blossums year after year. These 2 plants i mention because they both strive all on their own...In fact, the less attention we give them, the better they grow
    ...See More
  • pink rose(9b, FL )

BenT

what is the shipping code/coupon for Regan's nursery ? I am not seeing anything on their website?

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

If I remember correctly, there was not coupon code. If you purchased 3 or more plants you received the discount automatically.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Queen of Elegance on HMF taken by user Daniel Alm. One parent is Julia Child X Stormy Weather, which is the same as Life of the Party. I’m betting this one is super fragrant.

• Dave6aMO

Thanks for sharing this! I’ve been trying to find more info on Queen of Elegance but haven’t been successful. Maybe I’m wrong but it appears Weeks website has not been updated in a couple of years?

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Dave,

The most recent varieties I see on Weeks’ website are last years’ intros like Life of the Party and Celestial Night. So I agree they’re a bit behind their vendors.

• sautesmom Sacramento

The description of Queen of Elegance says "growing straight up...". If that's actually in the sales talk, I wouldn't be tempted to buy a tree rose! You'd have a nine foot monster!
    Carla in Sac

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

I really like Celestial Night! It has beautiful bright magenta blooms with lots of petals and it blooms prolifically. Reminds me a bit of Austin roses. I havent heard much about it, but wanted to mention it in case anyone was thinking of ordering it. Liked it so much I got another from Palatine coming in November.

Judith

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Perfume Factory, is that you?

This is a still from the ARS/Bedard video...Christian mentions an extremely fragrant lavender purple being considered for introduction. My guess is this is Perfume Factory.

And here is a still of a Red/White rose, almost certainly Love at First Sight

Both looking very impressive in their Pomona trials!

• Dave6aMO

I think so, Ben. I was reviewing that video this morning hoping to locate Fun in the Sun. Is the 2019 into he was showing about 50 minutes in Life of the Party?

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland

Pink Paradise is awesome, don’t pass it up. I got it from Ludwigs in AZ a couple of years ago and it’s done well for me here.

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Dave,

I agree, there’s a part in the video where Christian talks about the one rose that his Japanese visitors found most memorable for its fragrance, that’s Life of the Party.

I had the same reaction when I saw it before its introduction in Huntington Gardens...the scent is truly outstanding

I was also looking if I could spot Fun in the Sun in that video. There’s one rose that‘s a huge cream flowered one, but it appears FitS has an apricot center. Regardless, I hope they introduce the giant cream rose, as well as the hand painted floribunda

NOID giant cream

NOID handpainted floribunda

Dingo,

I’m glad to hear Pink Paradise / Julie Andrews is doing so well for you. Tell us more, is it highly fragrant?

• Dave6aMO

Thanks Ben! The colors seemed a bit more muted than other pics I’ve seen of LotP and so I wasn’t sure. The fragrance sounds great.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

State of Grace: On HMF user Stan V posted this really nice ‘time elapse‘ collage

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

please tell me your best/healthiest/most reliable mail order source for California. My local nursery is not getting in the ones I want (and they are frustrated - apparently a lot of crop failures are keeping the bare root ordering interesting for nurseries). I do t know which online retailer to go to / or even a rose field within 2 hour drive of Santa Barbara?

• Kimberly zone 10 so cal

Deborah have you ever tried Otto and Sons? They aren't mail order, but they are a HUGE rose nursery not terribly far from Santa Barbara (maybe 45 minutes or so). Very well worth the drive. I'm about 2 hours from them, and I'd definitely do it again!

(they also have live inventory on their website so you can see how many thousands of roses they have in stock)

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Deborah,

I like Regan, they have the best selection, good prices, reasonable shipping. They get roses from all the major growers...Star, Weeks, Certified, Austin, so much to choose from

Thank you, @Kimberly zone 10 so cal. I have been to Otto and Sons. I've had mixed success. I was bitter one year because they said they don't do bare root, but then I went in February, bought a couple of 5-gallon plants, and when I went to plan -- they were obviously bare roots just a month before. But a lot more money. And then I bought two Kordes roses (Madam Anisette and Dark Desire) and both have been soooo slow to get going. But the people are nice and it's a lovely drive out that way. And I stop at the Irish pub in Santa Paula for lunch on the way home...I hope they're not affected by the fires right now. What I'm looking for -- and maybe some of you can help me -- is another Yves Piaget. I put one in on the recommendation of Cori Ann. The first year it was chomped by rabbits. So this summer I finally got to see the rose doing well -- and boy howdy was I impressed. The flowers are gorgeous, super scented, and last FOREVER. I really want another -- but I'm not having any luck tracking one down. Any recommendations for one just like it, or best source?

Ben - Thanks, I think I will place an order with Regan for Julie Andrews. No Yves...

I'm debating giving Madam Anisette one more year...Dark Desire may finally be coming into its own. I want super stars, healthy, fragrant, blooming machines. No fuss budgets, no wimps, no "lightly scented" beauties. I don't ask for much!

• Rockridge Rose

Deborah. I like Regans, but I'm 30 minutes away, so I pick stuff up there. Great selection.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

I am looking forward to my new roses, I already made labels, nobody better be sold out!

Oh Ben! I see Lemon Spice on your labels. I grew that years ago, but it succumbed to something (fire? gophers? I can't remember!). I couldn't find a replacement anywhere. I lOVED that rose...the fragrance was...sublime. I also loved my Victorian Spice -- another hard to find rose nowadays. Where are you getting your Lemon Spice?

p.s. I placed an order with Regan's -- Julie Andrews, Scentuous, and Princesse Charlene de Monaco. Please tell me I'll be overjoyed with my selections! I'm usually super organized and do my research ahead of time. This time I think I just went with how I felt in the moment and maybe made some rash decisions...oh lordy.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Hi Deborah

My Lemon Spice came from K&M Roses, but I believe Heirloom and Roses Unlimited may carry it too. It’s been a wonderfully fragrant new rose for me, and always pushing out new growth and buds.

I’ve ordered Julie Andrews too, I’ve heard great things about it.

• Oliver (SF 9A)

Scentuous Looks so good from their website. But no other info can be found...

• Dave6aMO

@Oliver - There is a little more info on Scentuous by searching for Gartenträume. I have ordered it as well - primarily for the fragrance. I definitely don’t need another light pink rose, though, lol!

BenT (8a Dallas, TX) thanked Dave6aMO
  • Ann9BNCalif

Although I'm out of space, I had a weak moment and ordered Della Reese and Julie Andrews from Regan's. Della is a parent with Rock 'n Roll to Neil Diamond (I guess Tom Carruth likes popular music!).

I remembered a friend from my rose society exhibited Della. The color and fragrance was fantastic -- and I thought I need this rose! And since I'm sucker for fragrant bi-colors, I couldn't resist getting Julie Andrews too (I hope I like her!)

I like the swirl on this bloom which reminds me of soft swirl ice cream.

BenT -- my Neil Diamond roses will never look as good as yours!

I'm also getting Claude Monet (Christensen, 1992) and Honey Dijon (Weeks, 2003) from Freedom Gardens (Peter Schneider).

Ann

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Scentuous is another name for the rose Aquarell, sold for a number of years by Tantau. It's listed in their catalog. A very lovely rose descended from Augusta Luise. Thanks, Ben, for making the connection between the two names. Diane

• bayarea_girl

Diane, are you talking about Scentuous currently offered by Regan? If it is, it is a pink rose, right? Helen

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Helen, I don't know, but it must be the same. I'll have to check the Regan site. It's shaded pale pink on the petal edges, and has a similar bloom structure to Augusta Luise, but the bloom is a little smaller. You can find it in HMF, apparently (which I need to check). Diane

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Dave,

I’m so impressed by your sleuthing and international keyboard skills! Scentuous, aka Tan97281 aka Gartenträume aka Enchantress Is impressive, too!

Gartenträume translates to ‘Garden Dreams’ (thanks Google!). I was hoping it was ‘Garden Gnomes’, I’d love a quirky name like that.

Gartenträume

Garden Gnome

Diane,

In the other thread, I meant that Aquarell is the lighter colored sport of Augusta Luise. It’s not available stateside, or we’d have emptied out all available stock of this rose in about an hour.

Aquarell (not available in US), pic from HMF

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Ann,

I’m excited you’re getting Della Reese, and look forward to your future beautiful pics of this rose! Oh, and don’t worry, we’re all out of space, too!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Thanks, Ben. I think I've got it straight. I really got confused when I saw Regan's offering of Scentuous. I knew that wasn't Aquarell. The photo above of Aquarell looks a lot better than some of the HMF photos of Aquarell. That rose is all over the map in looks, color, petal count, and bloom structure. Augusta Luise is a much better rose, I think. Diane

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Diane

You’re right I picked one of the best pics of Aquarell on HMF, some of the others aren’t quite so nice. Sometimes my eyes only see the rosy view of things and miss the negatives.

I’d still try it in a heartbeat.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Hi Ben, What am I doing up at this hour posting rose pics? Above is my Augusta Luise. She looks uncannily like her offspring, Aquarell in this pic. It's been driving me crazy ever since I saw that photo you posted. Diane

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Beautiful bloom, Diane. Maybe you already have your own Aquarell :o)

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Description of Scentuous /Gartenträume from the Tantau Rosen catalog

• Oliver (SF 9A)

Thank you for the info Everyone! Scentuous Is such a beautiful rose.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Additional New Roses from Edmunds

Lotty’s Love Hybrid Rugosa

Pink Snowflakes Shrub Rose

Forever Yours Hybrid Tea

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Wonder how you will care for your new Julie Andrews rose?

Here are some advice for tending to roses, By JULIE ANDREWS herself!

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Brecks has posted their pics of some of the new Weeks intros. Hmm, they look a bit different from Edmunds.

Fun in the Sun

Painted Porcelain

Perfume Factory

Ben. I love your sense of humor. Garden Gnome !!!! I will probably always think of that now. I still chuckle about wekfunk !! (He’s going bye bye)

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Thanks so much Deborah. Who wouldn’t want a cute little rose gnome? Or if Gartenträume turns out to be a dud, I’m calling him ‘Garden trauma’.

Bye Wekfunk!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Perfume Factory is gorgeous! Why do I keep looking?

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Mill on the Floss growing at David Austin Trial Grounds near Dallas TX. Alas , these blooms are not nearly as nice as the Austin catalog pics. The plant did appear to be exceptionally vigorous and big.

• bayarea_girl

Ben, I think delicate color rose like Mill on the Floss will need morning sun and afternoon shade if you live in a hot area. The hot afternoon sun will wash out the delicate colors. Helen

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

I totally agree, Helen. For me Mill on the Floss would be another Olivia Rose that so many love, but I don't for its wishy washy color in our sun. Diane

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Thanks Ben for your photos! Mill on the Floss was one I was going to order, but it looks like so many of the DA pinks. I have so many roses now, [and have quite a few ordered!] that I dont need to buy it right now - it will be around for awhile. I am still ordering from DA but think that is one I can wait on. Photos showed it to be sort of a multi-color - Did you see any other DA's that caught your fancy? I would love to visit Farmers Branch, but cant spare the time right now. Vanessa Bell looks pretty - a soft yellow. Did you see that one?

Judit

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Helen,

I’m afraid even morning Texas sun would be too much for this one. I envy your weather, my brother used to live in Fremont, every day I was there I thought about how great it’d be for my roses. Then he moved to Danville (near Cori-Ann), hotter but still amazing for roses. But I don’t envy his water bill or housing prices.

Diane,

At least this rose would be no twig, every plant grew huge In its 1st year. But I agree, no tissue paper petals for me, either. Olivia Rose looked much, much better here than MotF, she was actually quite nice on this perfect autumn day. I was thinking of getting one, but if she washes out in your sun, she will in mine too.

Judith,

There was not any color variation in these MotF, they were all solid pink...the pic I took was actually the nicest bloom out of any on 5 big plants. All the new Austins are at Farmers Branch...Imogen, Venessa Bell , James Austin, Tottering By Gently, Eustacia Vye. I think only Eustacia looked good, all the other seemed to be screaming ‘why’d you take me out of gentle England and stick me in @#*$&# Texas!’ James L Austin seemed to especially suffer from wilting, like expired cafeteria salad, no thanks! Some of the oldies...Crown Princess, Sharifa, Jude, Abe looked good on this day.

I’ll go back in the spring, one can never judge by a single day (although it was a perfect Autumn day).

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268