Software
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

2019 Fall Raleigh Swap

7 years ago

The 2019 Raleigh Fall Swap will be held Saturday, September 28th 2019 at White Deer Park - Pine Shelter in Garner. The shelter is reserved from 1pm til 4pm. Swapping will begin around 2. Everything will be the same as in past swaps.


I know I probably sound like a broken record but this past summer has been brutal for the Johnny garden! Very little rain and super high temperatures. I have spent all my spare time dragging a hose from one end of the yard to the other and when it finally did rain I took a break and tried to repair the greenhouse in preparation for winter. So, no propagating has occurred. No seed starting. No plant buying. All I've done is water for the past 4 months. I have nothing to bring to the swap except things I don't have the time to take care of any more. We've had these types of summers before. I call it "Sophie's Choice" gardening - where you have to pick your favorite baby and tend only it because you can't keep all of the garden happy. Hopefully next year will be better.


We have three activities going on at the same time - the general swap, special trades, and the picnic. You are free to join in on any of them. The general swap is done in a modified Round Robin style where I ding a bell and you get to grab a limited number of plants and then stash them in your special hiding spot outside the shelter (most folks designate an area in the lawn beside the shelter). After a few rounds all heck breaks loose and we just grab all the left over plants. The special trade swaps are off to the side or in the parking lot and are where you exchange plants one-on-one with someone you have arranged a trade with. There will be a Special Trades thread started here on the Carolina Garden Web Exchange subforum to handle all the details. The only rule is that you need to keep your special trades away from the main shelter or else someone may take them during the general swap. The picnic is after the swapping. A Swap Food List thread will also show up where people can announce what they will be bringing. There are a few grocery stores nearby so that items can be picked up on your way to the park if you don’t feel like cooking.


As in the past we have no rules, you are free to haul anything gardening related to the swap and give it away - this includes live plants, seeds and bulbs, cuttings, pottery, tools and equipment. One thing that sets our swap apart from others is that we do not require you to even bring plants in order to participate. We always have way more plants than people. If you feel guilty taking something for nothing you can always bring food for the potluck picnic.


Here is the town of Garner’s web page about the park:

http://www.garnernc.gov/Departments/Parks and Recreation/Parks.aspx?ID=25


An easy way to get there is to take the Beltline to exit #299 and turn South (away from downtown Raleigh). The road you are on is Hammond or Person (it has two names). Stay on this same road as it crosses Hwy 70, by now it has changed names to Timber Drive. Take Timber Drive all the way to Aversboro Street and turn Right (this intersection has a Wallgreens, a CVS and a Lowe’s Foods). There is a small city sign showing how to get to White Deer or Lake Benson Park. White Deer Park is on the right. There is a church on the opposite side of the street. If you see a big wooden sign for Lake Benson you have gone one short block too far. Once you enter the park take the first turn to the left and drive until you see the big parking lot. Our shelter (Pine) is after the turn and right up against the parking lot.

Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago

    Are you my neighbor? I swear the rest of this city has been getting abundant rain and I've been living in my own personal desert!

  • 7 years ago

    TriangleJohn, we can feel your pain. Looks like - in spite of watering (too little, too late?) - we are about to lose a row of Thuja occidentalis 'Emerald', planted in 2010. Do you know of any nurseries, both local and online, that carry narrow columnar conifers, such as Juniperus chinensis 'Spartan', J. virginiana 'Taylor', or Cupressus sempervirens 'Totem'.

  • 7 years ago

    https://www.taylorsnursery.com/index.cfm carry's spartan according to their website, you can call tomorrow and ask about the others or other types they have


    They're a wholesale place so only open during 8-5 weekdays, but they'll sell it to you even if you aren't a contractor

  • 7 years ago

    Interesting. They also have two varieties of columnar Juniperus scopulorum: 'Blue Arrow' and 'Skyrocket', although some sources claim that they are identical. Do they grow everything locally? J. scopulorum is a Western species and many sources warn that it doesn't handle well our heat and humidity. Does anyone have experience with it?

  • 7 years ago

    Les - since I grow apples and apple family fruit trees I avoid most Junipers for fear of dealing with more Cedar Apple Rust. I haven't been doing any plant shopping so I don't know who has what this summer.

  • 7 years ago

    Do anyone have any nice house plants they would like to trade for special trades.

  • 7 years ago

    I'm putting it on the calendar and hope I don't have a conflict. At last fall's swap someone was giving away yucca plants and it has survived! Lots of neglect on my part (which I told was a good thing).

  • 7 years ago

    I feel your pain. Everything looked good about 6 weeks ago. now I have seven roses that are green and blooming their hearts out. Most of the other 45 are dead and they were all together - it makes no sense! The only thing that has thrived is an Indian Feather from last year. it is probably six feet tall!

  • 7 years ago

    Gail, let me know how your variegated hibiscus did. I've got some more that I rooted the same time and can replace it if for any reason (not you of course) it's turned into compost.

  • 7 years ago

    Here's our list of items to be shared for the general swap:

    Not hardy patio/house plants

    Aloe ciliaris - climbing aloe, thick vine, can be pruned to a shrubby form
    Agave parrasana
    Ananas comosus - pineapple, offsets
    Chlorophytum comosum - spider plant
    Epiphyllum oxypetalum - red/pink mix
    Huernia macrocarpa
    Kalanchoe daigremontiana
    Kalanchoe pinnata
    Neomarica
    Philodendron scandens

    Hardy garden plants

    Fatsia japonica - several backups
    Forsythia 'Kumson' - fall 2018 cuttings
    Glaucium flavum var aurantiacum - fresh seeds
    Hibiscus syriacus - pure white flowers
    Poncirus trifoliata 'Flying Dragon' - contorted hardy orange
    Poncirus trifoliata × Citrus paradisi 'Dunstan' backup seedlings over 1 ft - hardy grapefruit
    Sedum erythrostictum - species, non-variegated
    Serissa japonica - often used for bonsai