hugogurll

Samuel Darragh McGredy IV 1932-2019

hugogurll

Another great legend in rose history has left us. The charismatic Sam McGredy significantly advanced the world of roses during his time as a fourth generation rose breeder. His varieties possess both a beauty of flower but also a beauty of plant. Olympiad and New Zealand are just two of the many, many great roses he brought to our gardens. He was one of a kind.

• Marlorena-z8 England-

I'm sorry to hear that..... I have one of his roses but his best known in my part of the world would be 'Dublin Bay'.... I should think...

• svetilda CA9b

So sad to hear. I have only 3 of his roses: Marriotta, Sexy Rexy, and Trumpeter and the're on my favorite list. All 3 grow, bloom, and stay healthy for me in my garden.

Edit: I also have Old Port. Very beautiful rose, good for small places or container. Mine grows in partial shade.

• joeywyomingz4b

Sorry to hear the sad news...I bought Sexy Rexy solely because he developed that rose in New Zealand, not too far from where I grew up. It is one of my all time favorite roses now.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Another great one has left us. I have his Minnie Mouse which I love.

• pjkalisz

R.I.P. One of my favorites is Old Master.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Very sad loss for the rose world thankfully he left is some beautiful roses to remember him by what a great memoriam

• Nancy z6b Western Massachusetts

Danny Boy, a rose I hunted high and low for, was a MacGredy offering. In spite of his success (especially with differently colored roses), he was a humble man. God bless his soul,

Professional Architectural Design Firm Based in Leesburg, VA