Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

"Elisabeth's [Red] China"

7 years ago

I truly love China Roses ... and in particular, I love RED China Roses . . . so I was thrilled when happenstance led me to "Elisabeth's China" (i.e., "Elisabeth's Red China") -- a "Legacy" rose from the historic Sacramento City Cemetery -- probably planted in the mid-19th Century. It's not within the official boundaries of the Historic Rose Garden, but is a rose that well deserves your attention, should you go there.


Here, you see the plant, and the headstones it "guards." Elisabeth Stober was an immigrant from Germany. Her son is buried next to her. I've always rather thought that her China Rose may have been a favorite from her own garden.


In keeping with my usual habit, I grow, now, three plants of "Elisabeth's China" (Anything that thrives in my crappy soil and water -- I want more of it.)


This is our youngest plant of "Elisabeth's China," just planted on the hillside, a few moths back. Seems happy down there.


These photos are from our oldest plant. A truck ran over it, and we thought we'd lost it, but the rose came roaring back.








This plant (unlike the previous 2) gets some nice afternoon shade, and I think it likes that.


Oh! And it has a strong, sweet fragrance!

Comments (5)