Software
Houzz Logo Print
carincw

Loft ladder to code

13 years ago
I have been trying to figure out the code for loft space with respect to stairs vs ladders. Everything I've seen seems to indicate that if the space is "inhabitable"(coded by size ) then it must have stairs not ladder. How do you get around this??
Garden Cottage / Guest House · More Info

Comment (1)

  • 11 years ago
    Here in the US, "inhabitable" includes not only the area, but also the height of the loft--most tiny home lofts don't get much over 4 feet high, so aren't considered "inhabitable". I've also seen a neat tiny home design which DOES create stairs and a 6'-height upper walkway on one side of the home, pushing the bedroom loft to the other side. The space under the walkway is used for things like the refrigerator, kitchen sink area, or closets/storage.