gavin_nugent

Meyer Lemon Nutrient Deiciency Help

Gavin Nugent
September 4, 2019

Hello All,

I have a potted Meyer lemon tree and I think it has a nutrient deficiency but I haven't been able to figure out specifically which or how to remedy the situation. The leaves seem to be spotting and turning yellow, progressing up the leaves. In response I added in "Lilly Miller Citrus & Avocado Food 10-6-4" mix and threw in some Osmocote previously. I haven't really seen any improvement in my tree's condition so I am wondering if I'm missing anything. Will the tree's leaves turn back to their normal green state or is the damage already done? Anyways, please take a look at the attached photos and let me know what I'm doing wrong with my tree and how to fix it. Thanks in advance!

• Ike Stewart

What kind of soil mix do you have it planted in, google 5-1-1 citrus mix and gritty citrus soil mix.

• Efi Pavlos

That's not a deficiency. It is a disease.

• poncirusguy6b452xx

What growing zoe are you. Can you plant in ground.

Steve

• Jodi

Not a deficiency, but rather insect damage. Damage from a sucking insect that feeds on the juices of the leaves. Cannot see clear enough from the photos but probably scale. When the insect feeds it removes the chlorophyll from the leaf, leaving the yellow circles.

• Gavin Nugent

Thanks for the replies everyone!

@Ike Stewart - the mix originally was the 5-1-1 citrus mix but that was about 6 months ago.

@Efi Pavlos - What disease would you say it is? How would one mitigate it?

@poncirusguy6b452xx - I'm in growing zone 6a so unfortunately planting it outside is straight out of the question. I wish it weren't the case but oh well.

@Jodi - I'll try to get some better photos posted when I get home from work. How would I go about getting rid of the bugs? Just use a pesticide?

• poncirusguy6b452xx

Try a fungicide spray. I asked about zone to rule out HLB. If it turns out to be HLB the seller and county extension agent must be informed by you with where the tree came from.

Steve

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

I also think it's insect damage. That is exactly what happened to one of my trees being attacked by scale and mites in years past.

• Efi Pavlos

@Gavin Nugent I cannot be sure from just a photo, however it looks like an insect infestation.Try to examine your leaves .

• Gavin Nugent

Alright, do you think a horticultural oil will take care of bugs?

• Jodi

Horticultural oil, a non toxic insecticide, controls a wide variety of insects such as scale, aphids, white fly eggs, and mealy bugs, known as the big four insects attacking citrus trees. Spray in the morning, or in the evening, but never apply HO during the heat of a summer day. The damaged leaves will never improve, but all new growth will be fine as long as you control the insect in the future.

• poncirusguy6b452xx

The big 4

Africa has what is know as the big 5.

lion, leopard, rhinoceros, elephant, and Cape buffalo. These kill humans instead of citrus trees

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)

Good to also own if you don't already, old fashioned insecticidal soap (you can tweak this add a dash alcohol/peroxide (should own) dependent on situation, cheap and great indoors/outdoors