Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trvlngyrl

Curb with no appeal!

trvlngyrl
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I desperately need help making this entry way more welcoming. It sits on a corner lot on a busy street. We are trying to do something budget conscious and low maintenance as it is a short term rental. We are in gardening zone 5b with a southern exposure. We've removed a shrub and swapped out the mailbox, lights, and house numbers. I am stuck and open to all suggestions.

Comments (19)

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

What makes the house look hidden (unwelcoming) is the two spruce trees. Otherwise the front door being at one end makes it look like a back door. So assuming it is allowed I would take out the spruces, then plant something small along the front walk to make it clear the walk and door are where visitors are supposed to enter the house and property - even a couple dwarf shrubs of some kind right at the start of the walk would send this message.

And of course now that the one sheared yew to the right of the door is an ugly stump you are doing to have to dig that out, replace it with a new, smaller shrub. After you have done whatever, if any addition removals of existing woody plants (and lawn) then visit any independent garden centers there might be within reasonable driving distance to see what they might have in stock, that you can use for new plantings.

trvlngyrl thanked Embothrium
  • trvlngyrl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Embothrium, thank you for your input. I too think that the spruces are a bit obtrusive. I would like to see them gone. The remains of the Yew on the right are coming out today, at least as much of it as we can get out. I also like the idea of small shrubs.

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

Be mindful of any possible buried electrical wires or other utility features when digging out the stump.

(The software here is still not loading edited posts so my mistakes in the previous post shall remain until this is finally resolved)

• Sigrid
    4 years ago

If you are the renter and not going to be there long, I'd suggest lining the path with hostas and letting your yew take a more natural shape. Hostas grow and you may find some neighbor with plenty to spare. I divided mine, threw the extras in the compost bin and 2 year later, they're still thriving in the compost bin.

• laurelcollins
    4 years ago

I actually like the blue spruces! I would put some flowers in colorful pots on either side of your porch, and place a nice bench where the yew was (once the stump is cut down more).

If you are renting, why incur the cost of cutting down a tree? Will your landlord even allow it?

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    4 years ago

And add some color. Don't lose the spruce tree close to the house if it protects you in the summer from sun. A rose growing up a trellis beside the door would be pretty. Even marigolds and no fuss annuals with splashes of color would bring smiles to those driving by.

• Denita
    4 years ago

Love what DigDoug shows in his landscape plan.

Also consider painting the front door an accent color: yellow or blue would really work - even red. A bold accent color enhances your front door entry at a very low cost.

trvlngyrl thanked Denita
  • windberry zone5a BCCanada
    4 years ago

Removing the Spruces could prove to be a great mistake. As xiangirl says the trees protect the house from the summer heat and sun. They also render character to the lot. Something along Dig Doug's Design looks good.

BTW what a nice, cozy, little house among all those oversized structures that surround it.

trvlngyrl thanked windberry zone5a BCCanada
  • kitasei
    4 years ago

As a short term tenant, I would stick to containers and annuals. Have fun shopping for a gorgeous container or obelisk or sculpture that you can take with you. In spring buy flats of whatever annual your heart desires. Or to be really economical, start from seed indoors.

trvlngyrl thanked kitasei
  • mazerolm_3a
    4 years ago

I love what Dig Doug has done, but I agree with kitasei, if I was a renter, I would mostly add things that I can take with me.

trvlngyrl thanked mazerolm_3a
  • Denita
    4 years ago

^I misunderstood the original post as the landlord posting and not the tenant.

Naturally you are right - if you are the tenant you don't want to do any permanent changes especially if you are a short term tenant. Having potted plants makes sense. No painting when you are a tenant unless you have specific written approval from the landlord and the HOA if applicable.

trvlngyrl thanked Denita
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

I think the poster is the owner fixing it up as an Air bnb or similar (short term rental), thus low maintenance for tenants.

trvlngyrl thanked Olychick
  • trvlngyrl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dig Doug Designs

Thank you for your landscape plan. I love all of the color. It makes the house look so much more welcoming. The curves help soften the boxy lines of the house.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Would leave the spruce unless it is a threat to your home's foundation, etc.. If you're renting, removing it is not likely an option.

Would embrace the unusual location of the home's entry and work at making it inviting.

If you cannot actually add a porch with posts, add a less deep roof affixed to the house over the door. Make it wide enough to end within a foot or so of the shutter. attached to the house. Enlarge the stoop accordingly.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/149041068901535203/?lp=true

Very much like the pic from Dig Doug's Designs

trvlngyrl thanked suezbell
  • Embothrium
    4 years ago

The spruces aren't nearly big or numerous enough to significantly shade or shelter the house.

• windberry zone5a BCCanada
    4 years ago

I agree with suezbell that adding a small portico would make the house look more cozy and welcoming. And definitely keep the trees.

trvlngyrl thanked windberry zone5a BCCanada
  • Embothrium
    4 years ago

One on the right is big enough to dwarf and obscure the house, not big enough to cool it in summer - when the sun - which also moves across the sky - is almost directly overhead. Or keep it warmer when frigid winter winds are blowing all around, hitting the house from more than one direction.

• trvlngyrl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Suezbell and Windberry, I love the idea of a portico. It has been part of my plan. After generating a bit more income from the property, it is next on the to do list.